Can we get an updated situation on progress of YR Ladder?

XXxPrePxX

I would be interested to hear where the current problems are in creating a YR ladder.

I know many have worked on it and it is complicated, but I am interested in hearing what the issues are / who is working on it currently (if anyone) / if anyone has any motivation to work on it at all / etc.

Any details would be good. I would obviously love to help, but I am limited.

Let me know the details and perhaps I can try to help or find a way.

i think cncnet have to cancel the ladder project .

why?

because when i log to play i see players who just want to have good time and fun

but only few want to show that they are good and want to be ranked ect..

I'm sure more players would be interested in a ladder if it were available. Is it necessary to enjoy the game? No. It's sole purpose serves for bragging rights

I would disagree in the sole purpose category. Every major RTS/game has an option to 1on1.

It's a fun aspect of the game taking on someone else and counting statistics. It's incredibly important to help the skill level of the game. A 1on1 bracket is the only way for players to say "I am approximately THIS good in comparison to these players."

The skill level of yr community right now is atrocious. The YR community hasn't had an active 1on1 ladder in roughly 4 years and even beyond that it wasn't a very active ladder. I firmly believe that this absence of a ladder is one of the key reasons why skill level is so poor for many players (not talking about the newbs who literally just installed the game for the first time).

Also to mention -- a clan system would rejuvenate a community that is simply disconnected right now.

Any case, I am really wondering on the status of this project. Can I get an update, anyone?

Tahj has stopped working on the ladder due to personal reasons. The ladder api will be ported over from node to php. If anyone is capable of "coding", it's open-source you can check it out on github and submit pull requests. (Probably worth popping into our public dev chat too to discuss things).

Right now we're focussing on two other projects related to CnCNet which have been in progress for the last couple of months. After these two are done, we'll be looking at a ladder. Whether the ladder comes to anything is another story, lets hope it does. Obviously with more hands on deck to code, it brings things faste.  Less hands, it's then determined by how much time we have spare at the weekend or weeknight after work.

Dkeeton was looking at adding clans. I was looking at the port of the ladder api to php. That's two people.

Grant I understand your situation and that you have a life etc so I am suggesting something that I can't believe hasn't been suggested already and I think its the only way we will see functional ladders & clans in the near future.

Given the high demand for ladders & clans across all the different games on cncnet, I think we can raise enough money through donations to hire someone to carry out the remaining work. We just need you to tell us roughly how much that would cost and then for someone with half a brain (not me then) to set up a ladder donations page and for it to show a target figure and how close we are to that target.

P.s the money has to go directly to cncnet otherwise it will look bait and people won't donate. 

• 3 weeks later...

The theory being more of the team would contribute towards the API if it was in PHP.

So far, technically the endpoints are there that existed in the node version, aside from stats parsing and clans. It's using Sean3z's WOL database structure with a few tweaks. https://github.com/CnCNet/cncnet-ladder-api/blob/master/readme.md

We also have access tokens for clients now which wasn't a thing before.

Finally it's easier for me, as I'm more used to PHP & Laravel than node, and on a personal note I really dislike node.  :down:  :P

The theory being more of the team would contribute towards the API if it was in PHP.

So far, technically the endpoints are there that existed in the node version, aside from stats parsing and clans. It's using Sean3z's WOL database structure with a few tweaks. https://github.com/CnCNet/cncnet-ladder-api/blob/master/readme.md

We also have access tokens for clients now which wasn't a thing before.

Finally it's easier for me, as I'm more used to PHP & Laravel than node, and on a personal note I really dislike node.  :down:  :P

Hehe :) Actually, I'm a also a programmer and know both stacks (node.js / PHP-Laravel, but prefer node :D ) The only problem I see in node.js implementation is that I'm not familiar with WOL database structure. BTW, what is WOL? Could you provide me a reference to read about it?

Potentially, I can help a little with some tasks but I'm not sure about time I can spend on it. Anyway, I will try to research node.js project after 3rd April.

Is this still a theory or is more of team contributing to the API now? :P

Perfectly valid reason for starting something over from scratch  :S

BTW, what is WOL? Could you provide me a reference to read about it?

WOL is Westwood Online. It's the server that XWIS emulates (albeit, with optimizations), that used to host legacy C&C game matchmaking.