My games lag when playing multiplayer

Smootherized

Hello,

I have this problem when playing RA2:YR using CNCNET: My game runs completely smoothly with no lag or any issues what so ever as long as I play Skirmish or CNCNET game with AI only. As soon as there is another live player in the game, the game gets laggy - any command is executed with around half a second (sometimes up to 1 second) delay and the game runs visibly slower. I have a decent-ish computer (Win10, 8gb ram, 8-core AMD processor, R9 290 graphics card) and I don't experience any issues even in newer games (Battlefront 2 runs smoothly, for example, and I don't mean the 2005 Battlefront 2 game). Also, I have a very decent internet connection - 250/150 fiber, ping when playing CSGO is around 20ms, for example. I have 2 computers at home (the second one a bit slower, but should still be enough for this game) and tried playing 1v1 on those 2 computers too, but it was the same, whether playing via LAN or CNCNET. So I reckon it must have something to do with some settings of some kind. And yes, I tried with Back Buffer on and off, it makes no difference on the slower computer and it makes the game unplayable on the faster computer, when I switch it on. And I tried different tunnel servers, still very little or no difference. Can anyone help me with the issue, please? Thank you in advance for your time and effort, I appreciate it very much.

I understand that, but is there a way to fix that, so we can play without such lag at least on LAN? As I said, my internet connection is very good and stable and i don't have such problems in other games, or even when streaming. I know I cannot help it, if the other player has a bad connection. But in this case, I have something wrong obviously, as it lags on LAN too. Or does every player experience 0.5-1 sec delays on every command in every multiplayer game? This is most visible when placing buildings, placing/cancelling build orders and deploying units (Desolators, GIs etc).

1 hour ago, Smootherized said:

I understand that, but is there a way to fix that, so we can play without such lag at least on LAN? As I said, my internet connection is very good and stable and i don't have such problems in other games, or even when streaming. I know I cannot help it, if the other player has a bad connection. But in this case, I have something wrong obviously, as it lags on LAN too. Or does every player experience 0.5-1 sec delays on every command in every multiplayer game? This is most visible when placing buildings, placing/cancelling build orders and deploying units (Desolators, GIs etc).

Any multiplayer has a bit of a delay. The lowest I see is around 40-50ms. If all players have a good internet connection, the delay is hardly noticeable. Although yes, there is a slight delay in any online game.

26 minutes ago, Smootherized said:

20-100ms is regular delay in most games, I have no problem with that. I would say even 200ms is fine in my level of play of RA2. I am talking about 500-1500ms here. I can really say "one Mississippi" between pressing the "D" key and my Desolator deploying, I tried it.

The minimum delay is 12 frames in the QM Ladder "Ranked Matches" and 21 frames for regular custom games. If your game is operating at 60fps then the 21 frames will be 350ms. Everyone experiences the exact same click delay in the game so there is no advantage to any player.

If your  game doesn't maintain 60fps due to CPU lag then the game will dip to 50 or even 45 fps and the delay can get over 500ms.

Can you try a Ranked Match to see if you have the same delay problems?

7 hours ago, FlyingMustache said:

Yeah, basically you gotta play with people that you know have great connection. If I may suggest the YR discord, everyone there has a great connection.

https://discord.gg/4Ve25mM

As I said, I have the same problem even when playing against a friend who is in the same room as me, connected to the same switch. Both computers can handle skirmish games with 7 AI and tons of units on map without even sweating, but when we try to play multiplayer (be it LAN or CnCNet), the delay gets horrible. It got me thinking - could it be something with my router settings?

11 hours ago, dkeeton said:

The minimum delay is 12 frames in the QM Ladder "Ranked Matches" and 21 frames for regular custom games. If your game is operating at 60fps then the 21 frames will be 350ms. Everyone experiences the exact same click delay in the game so there is no advantage to any player.

If your  game doesn't maintain 60fps due to CPU lag then the game will dip to 50 or even 45 fps and the delay can get over 500ms.

Can you try a Ranked Match to see if you have the same delay problems?

I tried a ranked match, but I couldn't find one. I was in queue alone for like 30 minutes. Am I doing something wrong, or are there just no players at this time of day? I used the Ranked Match button in the main menu.

3 minutes ago, FlyingMustache said:

Oh I see. It may in fact be your router settings. There's some posts out there to help fix the issue. I'll look for some when I get some more time.

Thank you very much, every bit of help is much appreciated.
I searched the forums as well, of course. Most router issues were about people not being able to connect at all, which is not my case. One person seemed to have exactly the same problem as me, some guy gave him a .dll file to download and it fixed the problem for him, but it was a very old post, the download link didn't work and it was on some other (possibly competing) forum, iirc.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/5/2018 at 3:44 AM, dkeeton said:

Maybe if the CPU is from pre Y2K. xD

3 hours ago, kennygarg said:

RA2 simply is displaying a black screen on startup and crashing itself. Any solution guys? I'm on Win 10. There was no issue prior to the recent system update.

This is a very common problem and some searching on this forum alone (as opposed to google) would have given you over 2 pages of good solutions.

• 3 weeks later...