I propose an idea, probably far-fetched though.

evilneon

I've been playing command and conquer games for a long while, since I was a kid even. I'm by no means a pro or superior to any player, I just enjoy playing the game because of how simple it is to understand and to play. My problem lies within the newer operating systems and platforms becoming so far ahead of this old game, that the game has become unstable and requires constant patchwork just to run..

So I'm not a programmer yet. Or much of one at all, but how cool would it be to have an entirely new engine to run a game that uses the same parameters as RA2, same setups and everything, just visually and mechanically enhanced to be more "playable"? Keeping the entity stats all the exact same, changing nothing except for the visual and overall stability. I would get into programming just for this purpose.

Like the title says, it sounds a little far-fetched considering I know jack-all about programming, but I am well practiced in the design and audio parts of production, so I just need the third piece of the puzzle. I'd love a team to work with if anyone's interested.

Welcome to the forums.

To be honest, I don't think that this is worth the hassle. It's a lot of work, and there's no guarantee that the new engine would be future proof. RA2 runs fine up until Windows 7, and even getting it to run under 10 isn't that much work.

Lastly, a project like this already exists: Some of the OpenRA people are working on RA2 in OpenRA.

12 hours ago, evilneon said:

I'd love a team to work with if anyone's interested.

I've had a similar idea in the past to make an RTS game that has very similar gameplay to RA2. 

Sadly I'm no programmer either, I can do graphics, web, level/map, visual designs.

Your best bet is the OpenRA project, though they might change the gameplay dramatically for balance purposes. I'm not really a fan of the way they balance games.

All these problems came from unability Microsoft to create software with compatibility principle - bunch of noobs.  Every new OS has problems with software were made for previous OS.

You can solve this problem by going to the Microsoft and kicking each progremmer ass and sayng: "You are to do this shit working properly with RA2 and any old stuff, noob". And don't forget to slam their faces into their desks if they try to say something about their marketing departament doesn't allow them to do that.

If not an exact remake, perhaps using the same unit parameters, and just reprogramming it from scratch as an entirely new game would be more practical for newer platforms. I can see it being kind of a waste of time, seeing as an entire team is already doing kinda similar thing, but I want my own :]

• 4 weeks later...

Well was a surprise that Microsoft announced Age of Empires 4 and remaster for all the Age of Empires saga and actually the Age of Empires 1 is in the windows store so maybe some day if the community grow EA announce a remaster of Red Alert 2, i think RA3 do a better job in balance and gameplay but just people don't play it for be to different of the tank spamming game of RA2