New map comming out soon

BluySY

Ive decided to make my next map based on Egypt, since it is the ancestral home of the Brotherhood of Nod. Its going to be a Nod dominant map like (JB2) The Sahel and I was hoping that some of you could help me with ideas. For example should it be a FFA or 1 vs 1 2 vs 2 and should it be completly open or have a couple chokes.

BluySY

Edited by BluySY
  • Like 1

Over to you what category you want to make (FFA 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 etc), but I think once you start getting a lot of players, balance somewhat diminishes. This isn't always a bad thing, however, as Chem points out, that can be fun and for many is more fun than a well balanced 1v1.

There maybe are ways to help balance maps with more players, but it's not something I understand very well. Even other RTS games seem to have less and less complexity in maps that are specifically designed for more players. I think the max sized maps for C&C1 also holds that back.

I agree with what Chem says about making some chokes, BUT you can always have just enough terrain for the bases and then make skirmishing areas very open (desert like). 

• Upvote 1

Honestly, every map has its own play style. Although it may play different in comparison to the meta, it does force players to play a little bit differently. So depending on the map, you can actually stir up different strategies and the like.

Map seems fine though, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just keep working at it!

• Like 1

Yeah, that's actually the idea that I had for start poss for a 6 player map, you could turn it 90degrees, too.
Either should work, but most of trying to make it fair will come down to how you do the cliff work IMO.

Thing with massive maps like that, is that it's really hard to make them fair, I think Blis is the best one to go off of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Making bigger maps is not as easy at is sounds. Don't think it hasn't been looked at by people like Nyer. If it was easy, that one would already be done, same with AI.

On the note of balance changes, the big issue is that small changes can totally change the meta in unforeseen ways. You can end up with a totally different game, very fast.

The only change I'd maybe like to see on that note would be to move the MLRS and the Chem Warrior to comm centre tech. Not because I think it'd balance the game, but because it'd be nice to see the units be used. They pretty much not accessible as it stands.

• Upvote 1

Talking about changing the game should be another topic.
There you can discus the fact why it is so hard to change the game.

This topic is about BlySY maps.
If you are sorry, you shouldn't even start derail the topic. But make that new one, referring to here, Ok?

BlySY,

I say that the map you showed looks very good already. I really like that village. It invites to hide, but that would be a mistake for players :D

Is the map intended for only FFA?
Or is this that map you talked about of FFA/2v2v2/3v3 altogether?

Count blossom tree's per player. I think that 3 each is awesome. I see you want to put in a good fair structure. Don't mind natural just yet. Basic balance is key here.

Also, keep an eye on the start locations. I see one adjacent to the tiberium, this player is forced to move his MCV 1 spot.
I also see some 2 spots away, while others are 1 spot away. I don't know what most players prefer. But it could be either 1 free space or 2 for all. This only counts for left/right configuration. Not top and bottom. There it doesn't matter much.

Position 4 looks very bad to be. Maybe turn this into a neutral zone if you where make it a 5 player map. But since 6 is the norm now. I think you should make it easier for 4, since this one is the most central.

Decrease the space access between 1 and 4. Some more tree's will do. Maybe even close it entirely off, since those tree's can be destroyed. Thus players making their own path.

To start with the choke points above. It is very easy for 5, to steal resources from 4. So, reduce that from 3 to 1. Also the choke points from the village to those same fields. From 3 to 1. Those fields need 1 more blossom tree.

I feel you had something along the lines of 4 choke points per player in mind. But sometimes it is bad. Especially for the middle player. But playing the map might show the answer.

Just suggestions, do as you will ;)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, X3M said:

Talking about changing the game should be another topic.
There you can discus the fact why it is so hard to change the game.

This topic is about BlySY maps.
If you are sorry, you shouldn't even start derail the topic. But make that new one, referring to here, Ok?

100% fair. I almost forgot what topic this was.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the help x3m, this  map was suppose to be a all in one map faa 3vs3 2vs 2 1vs1 how ever the  maps are so small it's very hard. my biggest concern right now bottom left. It has the advantage of only 2 chokes, and the detriment of less tibirium. I can see players not understanding, I'm considering making it 4 players.

BluySy

3 minutes ago, BluySY said:

Thanks for the help x3m, this  map was suppose to be a all in one map faa 3vs3 2vs 2 1vs1 how ever the  maps are so small it's very hard. my biggest concern right now bottom left. It has the advantage of only 2 chokes, and the detriment of less tibirium. I can see players not understanding, I'm considering making it 4 players.

BluySy

Yeah, this is where using paint to mock up the map can really speed up the design process, so that you can move everything around easy, and then when you're happy, just go ahead and slap it together in XCCeditor.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BluySY said:

I thought I was using xcc?

The picture you sent through looks like it's a screen shot from another editor. If you go into your C&C95 folder, you'll see another folder called XCC (I think it's still stock in the download) and there's an .exe in there called "XCC editor". That's the one I use.

But my point was mocking it up in paint, first. I go over this in the first part of my map design thread. It's easier to move around some pixels in paint etc, than it is to remake whole parts of a map in the editor. Then, once your happy with it, just transfer the idea over. Rivers are a bit trickier with that technique, but you can still kinda make it work.

• Thanks 1

Here is the Final version of this map, I have decided to name it NOD Capital since it was there capital for some time and I thought I read some where that its were they originated from.

This is the reason why there are 2 temples located on the top left and bottom right available  to who ever builds transport  helicopters. I hope everyone enjoys.

(JB2) Egypt (NOD Capital).ini - Copy.png

Edited by BluySY
  • Like 1

I don't know anything about computers, the only way I could get a pic of this map on here was to use this map viewer so I had to change the file over, but the map is done in xcc. I just wish I new what I was doing lol cause I thought the temples of nod were able to be captured.

4 hours ago, BluySY said:

I don't know anything about computers, the only way I could get a pic of this map on here was to use this map viewer so I had to change the file over, but the map is done in xcc. I just wish I new what I was doing lol cause I thought the temples of nod were able to be captured.

Yeah, both super weapons cannot be captured.
In XCCeditor there's a function for save map as image. It's just under the "file" drop down menu.

• Like 1