freenode (banned)

dappygit

Hello,

I've been trying to log on to #cncnet all day but it's saying i've been banned... here's a short pastey

[16:33] == End of /MOTD command.

[16:33] == Usermode change: +i

[16:33] -NickServ- This nickname is registered. Please choose a different nickname, or identify via /msg NickServ identify <password>.

[16:33] -syn- Your reported hostname [1] is banned: Due to abuse we currently accept tor connections via our tor-sasl service only. See freenode.net/irc_servers.shtml - questions can be directed to [email protected]

[16:33] == (Banned)

[16:33] == ERROR: Closing Link: gateway/web/freenode/session (Disconnected by services)

[16:33] == Disconnected from server: Connection to IRC server lost.

As you can see the ban is to the hostname but I've not abused freenode.net in any way. I'm with British Telecom ISP. Many thanks,

The part that you need to look at is:

[16:33] -syn- Your reported hostname [1] is banned: Due to abuse we currently accept tor connections via our tor-sasl service only. See freenode.net/irc_servers.shtml - questions can be directed to [email protected]

A hostmask on Freenode's network (other, standard IRC servers use a different format) looks like:

host86-163-76-140.range86-163.btcentralplus.com/86

It's an identifier used by the IRC protocol, according to wikipedia:

A hostmask is a unique identifier of an IRC client connected to an IRC server.[42][43] IRC services and bots can use it to identify the client. The hostmask looks similar to, but should not be confused with, an e-mail address. It is a combination of the nickname, ident, and hostname.[44] If ident is not available, then the username is used after being prefixed with a tilde sign.[45] If the IP address cannot be resolved to a valid hostname, then the IP address is used instead.

So they probably banned all the btcentralplus.com hostmasks or a subnet of them accidently.

Also the AJAX chat can only be used on this site, IRC can be used on the site (or the webchat at freenode) in a separate IRC client on a PC or even from a smartphone. It's a much more convenient way to offer a public chat room