Unauthorized Use of Maps

Aro

Question

Hello everybody.

I haven't been active in the Command & Conquer community for some time, it's nice to see that it is still thriving and that there is plenty of online activity, with that being said, a friend of mine has brought something to my attention that I wanted to query with the current staff. 

In the Tiberian Sun Client there appear to be some maps that are being used that were maps that I had initially made exclusively for Twisted Insurrection. Some of these maps started off as remakes of maps from other games like Red Alert 2 such as the ones titled Rocky Road, Twinside and Redemption. I am not particularly bothered about these for the reasons stated earlier, despite the fact that they were remade from the ground up, but they are still shamelessly pulled from Twisted Insurrection with minor edits to make them compatible with Tiberian Sun, they even use the same alternative name that I gave them as opposed to the names of the maps they were based on which shows they were directly taken from the mod. 
My main gripe is that there is also the map Vinifera Valley which has been a Twisted Insurrection exclusive map that I created quite some time ago. It appears that it is in circulation at the moment as part of an official update to the Tiberian Sun Client , yet, no credit is given to myself or to Twisted Insurrection itself for use of the map anywhere as far as I can tell. I have checked with the active members of the Twisted Insurrection team as of the moment and, as far as we know, nobody asked permission to use these maps and no credit has been given. May I ask why this is and what has happened here?

Thanks.

Edited by Aro
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

6 answers to this question

I was under the impression all of the maps (vin val included) were originally ra maps, so didn't think it mattered or anyone cared. Since like you mentioned all you did was use existing maps and edit them very slightly for T.I.  I thought people would be happy they are being played. 

Im happy to just delete vinifera valley if you like (its very rarely played anyways), even though I find it weird you are concerned I tweaked vin val to be played on Ts the same way you tweaked other maps to be playable on T.I.

Most players (those that played ra2 or ask me) know some of these maps playable on TS are simply edits from other CnC games.  It's not like I put "By Humble" in the map title or anything.

The intention was simply to make more maps available to the community, not to upset anyone.

Cheers

Edited by Humble
  • Haha 1

Im happy to just delete vinifera valley if you like (its very rarely played anyways), even though I find it weird you are concerned I tweaked vin val to be played on Ts the same way you tweaked other maps to be playable on T.I.

Most players (those that played ra2 or ask me) know some of these maps playable on TS are simply edits from other CnC games.  It's not like I put "By Humble" in the map title or anything.

It's not being concerned that it was edited to be compatible with TS, the problem is that it was an exclusive asset taken without permission. If you'd have just asked instead of helping yourself "assuming nobody would care" there would never have been a problem. Since when was it okay to just take custom assets from mods without giving any credit where it is due or at least asking first? 

Thanks for the response and the removal anyway. All I ask is that, in future, TI staff are contacted instead of just having it's assets ripped.

Edited by Aro
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

No worries.  I think part of the confusion on my part came from not seeing the original authors of the maps that you converted being credited, which is mostly why I assumed nobody would care.

I could not find anything in the actual map files, or the client, or the MPMaps.ini, so I hope you understand my confusion.

Edited by Humble

Imo, 'using custom assets from mods without giving any credit or asking first' is a lil bit overrated. This very sensitivity has been a big deal throughout the history of ts community as i can tell.

I only discovered that there was such a thing as this 'respect' only 2 years ago, when i discovered people have created their own models. I thought it was all really cool and learned how to add them in the ini files and using xcc mixer.

The mixed feeling i have regarding this goes 2 ways, one that I think its egoistic. Ego as a sense of attaching yourself to your creation. Ego is nothing more then identification with forms, and so an obstacle for others to enjoy. If not let go, the ego grows even stronger and becomes an obstacle for the creator as well.

And the 2nd, is that respecting this rule will make sure it will have the right place for it to develop, grow and show its potential, but it also does if you let it go for the public, perhaps it will have even more potential. Just look at the growth TS itself had when they gave it free to the public.

• Like 1