Tiberian Dawn - 5 Minute Missions (single player)

[glow=red,2,300]5 MINUTE MISSIONS[/glow]

Here's a series of 6 missions I made (some old, some new) that are meant to be sort of mini-games for c&c. 

They're all pretty hard, but can be beaten in 5-10 minutes if you stick with them.  They've taught me a lot

about triggers and stuff and I just wanted to put them out there.  I think they're a lot of fun so ENJOY!

>>NOD<<

Chopper Chase (scb70ea)

Goal:Shoot down 3 chinooks as they zig-zag around the map.

Crate Robber (scb71ea)

Goal:Collect 3 crates while dodging ORCAs and make it to your rendezvous.

Outrun (scb72ea)

Goal:Pick up the scientist, dodge airstrikes and get him on to the chinook.

>>GDI<<

The Hunt (scg70ea)

Goal:Kill the scientist, and run to the pickup point.  A hovercraft actually picks you up.  Well, sort of....

Hover Crazy (scg71ea)

Goal:Navigate around some islands and blow up the Bio facility.

IF YOU CAN SEE EVEN A LITTLE BIT OF SHORE, YOU CAN LAND THERE

The Rescue (scg72ea)

Goal:Snatch Mobius from the clutches of Nod and steal a chopper to escape!

5minmiss.zip

chopper_chase.png.997245feaf68e04684cf6f654d521596.png

crate_robber.png.90c205c7b3835ac76b875b868549c3ac.png

outrun.png.fe83fa22b06b9ac2f5f6b463f593cee2.png

the_hunt.png.63759fa0161a2d0894599652ac4d6d7f.png

hovercrazy.png.2fb8faa2bd59bc95fabb7e166779c636.png

the_rescue.png.0d0fb70d340af8bc305036e53126b42f.png

• 1 year later...

Hi, I've tried all 5 min missions. They are fun and cruel, but still fun. Once I'm playing this on a saturday morning, I've been lazy enough to loose all, so I'm actually calling them the 3min missions.

Two comments, not a request:

- in the "hurricane" mission, it would be interesting an additional land cell in "that" island, because the pointer doesn't get green (to allow landing).

- I and Nyerguds discussed once about Gunboats and they can go to a portion of the ocean an comeback, not having to go to the extremities all the time.

Test a horizontal PATH another time, see if it works. Again, this is not a request, the missions are already difficult, but since you're always researching and learning new tricks you might find something interesting for the next maps.

• 1 year later...

Hoooly wowza. I finally played through this set, and...

They're plain evil, lol.

Nod:

• Chopper Chase is pretty random. You need to scout with your commandos to uncover enough terrain, but the flight paths are so erratic that the only way to intercept them is to play the mission a few times and learn how they fly. So, not really much skill involved, in my opinion :huh:
  • Crate Robber is hell. I had to turn down my game speed for this one, and saved after pretty much every shot fired at a fence. If you get below 50% health before reaching the part with the last crate you're dead, because you won't be able to outrun the orcas, so the trick is mainly to not get below 50% health. I tried to let them waste their ammo so at least some of them would return to their far-off pads and get off my back, but this tactic simply wasn't viable with a flimsy Recon Bike. My final daring run that got me the third crate cost me most of my health, and I was very lucky that the Mammoth at the end mostly missed me :D
  • Outrun is a brilliant mission. If you just take the APC and run, you die. Simple as that. You have to actually make sure to meet each A-10 plane in an open spot so you can dodge their bombs. After some practice this went fairly smoothly, and I could dodge most of them without damage. I'm sure I could've gotten to the end without losing the APC, but instead I kind of rushed the last stretch, parked my APC at the top as decoy, and focused purely on getting the civvie in the chopper. So, yeah, it died, but I got the scientist out.

GDI:

• The Hunt: First one I played. I never hated flamethrowers so much in my life.
  • Hover Crazy: Fun mission! I accidentally ended up finding all power plants before the facility, and I was pretty sure I knew what would end up waiting for me there. It's a pity you can't destroy one of the Obelisks, because Commandos need to approach them from the south :(
  • The Rescue: What a horror. The first part with the buggy was pretty okay. After some attempts I dodged it successfully, and it didn't come after me when I got Moebius away. But the next part? So many flamethrowers behind trees, and then getting hunted, too! That was a mess, lol. Thank goodness for savegames! XD

Overall... I had tons of fun beating these. Great set of mini-missions, and exactly the type I love playing :D

Hehe. I've been messing around a bit...

• In Hover Crazy, by making both boats focus on the helicopter, you can kill them with the commandos. You can also kill the top obelisk by putting your commandos to the left side of it, then parking your helicopter above it, and then moving the commandos to the right. Because the Obelisk is blocking their way they will start shooting at it. I managed to destroy everything on the map that could possibly be destroyed by my Commandos. (Yes, including all the trees. Takes the squad of five 30 salvos to pull it off. XD)
  • In The Rescue, you can actually sufficiently uncover Moebius from below to make him selectable. Moving him out of the cell, however, means instant execution. I should check out how you did that; the way their prison guard logic there works exactly as intended is very interesting.

:cnc: Thanks for playing them, Nyer.... it's an honor! :cnc:

They're plain evil, lol.

Ha ha... indeed! Sounds like a great quote if there was a movie poster for these.. i.e.

"Awful!" -The New York Times

"They're plain evil, lol" -Nyerguds

• Chopper Chase is pretty random. You need to scout with your commandos to uncover enough terrain, but the flight paths are so erratic that the only way to intercept them is to play the mission a few times and learn how they fly. So, not really much skill involved, in my opinion :huh:

Can't really disagree with any of that.  This one was really the end result of experimenting with triggers and teamtypes.  Without the .ini's in front of me it's hard to remember the details exactly, but I learned that teamtypes can have a maximum of 17(?) commands, the u1# can go up to 35 (don't open in XCC, it'll erase teams!), and tiggers/teams moved to the top of the list tend to work more reliably.  This was the start and my post about orcas leaving the screen was the sum of what I learned about helicopters/orcas.

• Crate Robber is hell. I had to turn down my game speed for this one, and saved after pretty much every shot fired at a fence. If you get below 50% health before reaching the part with the last crate you're dead, because you won't be able to outrun the orcas, so the trick is mainly to not get below 50% health. I tried to let them waste their ammo so at least some of them would return to their far-off pads and get off my back, but this tactic simply wasn't viable with a flimsy Recon Bike. My final daring run that got me the third crate cost me most of my health, and I was very lucky that the Mammoth at the end mostly missed me :D

Again, I'd say that's a pretty dead on assessment.  It's fun using the best qualities of a particular unit; in this case the AI orcas' area guard radius and their ability to resume attack after reloading.  But mostly I like this one because it runs like a fuckin clock and I'm really considering including it in the "TD for Pros" campaign.  Ah yes, I made a video of it.. (spoiler alert)

https://youtu.be/OtQHTHfM7Ac

• Outrun is a brilliant mission. If you just take the APC and run, you die. Simple as that. You have to actually make sure to meet each A-10 plane in an open spot so you can dodge their bombs. After some practice this went fairly smoothly, and I could dodge most of them without damage. I'm sure I could've gotten to the end without losing the APC, but instead I kind of rushed the last stretch, parked my APC at the top as decoy, and focused purely on getting the civvie in the chopper. So, yeah, it died, but I got the scientist out.

Yep... I can beat all of these with ease (because I designed them and know them in and out) with the exception of this one.  I tried to purposely make it suicide if you just click where the flare is.  Whenever this one starts frustrating me, I use the same (slight)cheese tactic of baiting with the APC, so good job!

• The Hunt: First one I played. I never hated flamethrowers so much in my life.

The first one I made.  The first appearance of my (perhaps overrused ;) ) trio of commandos chasing you. This was the prototype for my "TD for pros" scg4ea mission "Marathon."  This is also where I learned that hovercraft can activate celltriggers which can be INCREDIBLY useful for dead on timing of stuff. 

• Hover Crazy: Fun mission! I accidentally ended up finding all power plants before the facility, and I was pretty sure I knew what would end up waiting for me there. It's a pity you can't destroy one of the Obelisks, because Commandos need to approach them from the south :(

Yeah, I was just being a little silly when I came up with this one.  Interesting to fool around with getting the chinook to landway further than normal just by clicking on parts of the shroud edge.  Finding the pplants is critical to your success.  And I'll address Chimas's old comment here too...

- I and Nyerguds discussed once about Gunboats and they can go to a portion of the ocean an comeback, not having to go to the extremities all the time.

Test a horizontal PATH another time, see if it works. Again, this is not a request, the missions are already difficult, but since you're always researching and learning new tricks you might find something interesting for the next maps.

Unfortunately this won't work because you can only do that if you reinforce the gunboats and reinforced gunboats won't attack ANYTHING..... no matter what you try.  but a good suggestion, nonetheless

-In Hover Crazy, by making both boats focus on the helicopter, you can kill them with the commandos. You can also kill the top obelisk by putting your commandos to the left side of it, then parking your helicopter above it, and then moving the commandos to the right. Because the Obelisk is blocking their way they will start shooting at it. I managed to destroy everything on the map that could possibly be destroyed by my Commandos. (Yes, including all the trees. Takes the squad of five 30 salvos to pull it off. XD)

Yeah, it's really annoying how stupid gunboats are.  It seems they are in "hunt" mode no matter what unit command you give them.  And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who tries all this stuff in c&c missions.

• The Rescue: What a horror. The first part with the buggy was pretty okay. After some attempts I dodged it successfully, and it didn't come after me when I got Moebius away. But the next part? So many flamethrowers behind trees, and then getting hunted, too! That was a mess, lol. Thank goodness for savegames! XD

Ah, my trio of commandos again... If it was annoying then MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! lol.  My first foray into the 'evac civi' trigger as well.  I know the mission so well back and front, I'm pretty sure I've killed the 3 commandos--- I don't want to give away how.  (I better try it again and make sure I didn't just dream that..lol)

-In The Rescue, you can actually sufficiently uncover Moebius from below to make him selectable. Moving him out of the cell, however, means instant execution. I should check out how you did that; the way their prison guard logic there works exactly as intended is very interesting.

Moebius (and any player controlled civi unit) can be selected anywhere under the shroud by click+dragging where you know they are.  Hence my prison guard strategy.  Again going from my foggy memory, the commandos are set to 'sticky' and all around Moebius are XXXX triggers for "all to hunt.'  Therefore if you try to cheese moebius out too soon, whammo! he gets sniped.  And the 'destroy X' is killing the commandos.  I also think there's the XXXX trigger on the bridge to the north so if you try to cheat and clear the way in advance, he gets killed.

...And that's probably only half of the stuff I learned by making these! (again it's all a bit foggy without the .ini's in front of me.

Thanks for playing and thanks for the in-depth analysis

Without making  a test of ALL unit commands I believe that any unit regardless of it's status will "hunt;" even harvesters will join in. --however-- the buggy patrolling will still proceed to it's next waypoint (if it's in the middle of its "move" command) and then it will "hunt" with the rest of his buddies

well if it's possible for me to be even more impressed, go for it! (Still no champagne :( maybe a 40oz of Schlitz)

no worries cos i don't drink heh. and nope i'm not religious.

as i mentioned in your crate robber video - you gotta upload playthroughs of all your missions from now on! cos i need to see if my playthroughs are the best ;):P if someone else does it better i will redo it for perfectionist ego's sake, minus the trashtalking and arrogance of course. amen to healthy competition :D

I suppose I owe you a few when I get the chance.. heh  It'll be funny because some of them I haven't played in years and I suppose it will be karma if I made a mission super tough, got my ass kicked by my own AI and recorded it for all the world to see!  (might be anticlimactic to watch a video of a guy losing though, eh) I guess I deserve it for being such a sadistic bastard sometimes... ha ha  Oh and sorry I didn't see your comment on youtube I just reformatted and everything is weird. (it won't even let me reply there atm)  I just hope my obs will still work when I reinstall it!

Oh yeah, I was just joking about the 'loser' vids.. heh heh..... They won't be speedruns like yours as that's not really my style and I definitely don't have quite the talent you have.  Maybe I'll do commentary or speed them up (for entertainment purposes) guess I can't do both or else I'd sound like a chipmunk :)  Or really I could comment on the AI scripting while playing them.  I'll just pretend I'm James Cameron talking about The Terminator lol

Hehe, that's one video that easily beats the many others I've uploaded. Actually this mission made me learn something extra about civil engineering in C&C. I noticed that the bottom right concrete wall segment (the intersection between the right wall and bottom wall) is very weak compared to the other wall segments. If there's any sort of code which can verify this, it'll be much appreciated.

Well I made a video explaining how "the rescue" works and how you can kill the 3 commandos chasing you. However, I forgot to mention that if you try to clear the path before you rescue him, you'll lose via the specified "all to hunt" XXXX celltriger on the bridge North of his position.  Hopefully the sound isn't too crappy, all my good mics are packed up. Enjoy!

• 2 years later...