reconnection error

CCCP84

8 hours ago, Sam-I-am said:

Tsunami was one of my favorites.
Recon errors are regular on this map. One of the reasons why I quit playing it years ago.
It's bugged.

It's not the map, but something to do with SEA-related (maybe cloaks as it also has caused a lot of issues for observers from what I can tell in the changelogs...) As OP himself even shows, recons happen in other SEA maps as well. This is a problem for years, but maybe if more people try to help replicate it, it can finally get fixed instead of "just not playing Tsunami because its bugged".

But even back when I started I am very sure I already experienced this issue. It's a really, really old issue with Tsunami (presumably all SEA maps)

Edited by Ra2Nub

9 hours ago, Ra2Nub said:

maybe if more people try to help replicate it, it can finally get fixed instead of "just not playing Tsunami because its bugged"

I didn't tell anyone not to play it, I just told you why I stopped (one of the reasons, not THE reason); because it's bugged. That's the point; to tell you that it's bugged, not to tell you to stop playing it.

Go ahead; play, crash, fix. GL HF.
I'd rather play something else. Crash-free. No shortage of maps.

It's not the map

Well, what if it is?

As OP himself even shows, recons happen in other SEA maps as well

We're only talking about two "sea-maps"; His and Tsunami, no "other sea maps".
I played several other sea-maps. No issues.
What if these two particular maps are bugged? Isn't that a high possibility?

OP did an incredible job. His map is spectacular, but generally speaking, a fan-made map is more likely to be bugged (not underestimating them, I love fan-maps).
That's normal. As you play, you identify the bugs and fix them in later versions.

As for Tsunami, just because it's official doesn't mean it can't be bugged. They didn't notice some of the bugs at the time, and official-map-patching is not a thing.

BTW, Tusnami is not the only official map that is bugged. Recons used to happen regularly on Sedona as well (not a sea-map).
Also on Redzone (another popular fan-made map; no sea).

I played more maps than I can count, of all kinds, some battles lasted for over 6 hours, some on sea-maps, like WW5. No issues, mostly.
Only a few are known to cause recons; like the ones I named.
Some even have "recon error fix" in the title :D (still happens though :rofl:).

So, I think map-bugs are to blame, which makes total sense.

Edited by Sam-I-am

Not only these 2 maps. Others too. All sea maps have this feature. There is no bug in maps. It is somewhere in the game itself. Something with naval units.
I remember in the original RA2 the Tesla coil sometimes caused an error. The players even agreed not to use it. Now this problem is gone. Apparently, someone found the cause and fixed it. Here, too, there is a problem somewhere.

• Check 1

Back in 2017 destroying gap generators (often with a nuke) caused recons as well, which too got fixed I believe; never seen that happen anymore.

Anyway, even if the issue is the map, then the reason should still be figured out, so an official bug fix can be made for the map.

Edited by Ra2Nub
  • Check 1

Just to keep you all in the loop, one of the devs has been checking these logs as they've been uploaded.  Theres a suspicion that this is not tied to the recent changes and may be a vanilla bug that hasn't been fixed yet.  We've also been trying to reproduce this but without any luck yet.

BTW recon errors need all sync files from all players in the game. 

If you guys can find some obvious patterns or some reproducible steps please post them 

• Thanks 1

No obvious ways to replicate yet sadly, but here's yet another one to the collection. Some of my dolphins were being captured by Yuri and a little after the game recon'd.
image.thumb.png.b6590ce27e0915b9c9cbef01ded02ef3.png

And yes Grant, this is not something recent. I had this happen years ago in Tsunami as well

Maybe I can start record my tsunami games..

Edited by Ra2Nub

If you take another look at the pics, you can see that recons usually occur either when there are dolphins around or jets/rocketeers; so, to narrow it down, I suggest that you guys focus on dolphins, jets, rocketeers, and flak (ground and naval).
It's most likely one of these that is triggering the error, with dolphins being the main suspect.

If I'm playing only for the sake of testing, I would only use these 4 for starters, and try to "reenact the scenes" exactly as they happened when the errors were triggered.
If nothing happens after a good amount of testing, I would start bringing other units to the scenes, one by one, reenacting the whole thing with one kind of additional unit at a time.
If an error does happen, I'd start excluding one kind of unit at a time, until I'm able to determine which unit is the culprit.

The thing is, we're only seeing the last frame of one screen, and we're not sure if it was you or someone else who triggered it, so, if all players record the game, it would be much easier to know what is causing it (we only need the last 10 seconds of each recording).
and BTW, we're seeing different kinds of error messages, so it could be different things on different maps.
GL.

Edited by Sam-I-am

Well, that didn't took long...

Here's the first full video of a recon error

No edits, no cut to the end, the full match. That's how all the recon vids will be. The recon is at the end of the video as excected

The only thing worth mentioning on this one is that on the left there was a chrono targeting something and on that very same frame (it seems, based on the sound) the game recon'd. I don't know if that was the cause or not. It could also be the IFV doing something causing it, I really don't know.

Edited by Ra2Nub

Good job recording it.

OK, I'll take a guess and say it may have something to do with the carriers.
Hornets were in the air when their carrier sank, and they didn't know what to do or where to go, so the confusion caused the error.

Pilot #1: "Do we land temporarily on another one, like Harriers do with airfields or what?".
Pilot #2: "Makes sense, but we're supposed to just crash, so I'm crashing this whole game with me!" haha. jk. :D

BTW, this may be unrelated but as I was testing, I noticed something a haven't seen before; if you make dolphins "force-fire" on trees within their range, the trees would disappear! :blink:

2 hours ago, Ra2Nub said:

It could also be the IFV

That's what I was thinking.

Edited by Sam-I-am

3 hours ago, Sam-I-am said:

Good job recording it.

OK, I'll take a guess and say it may have something to do with the carriers.
Hornets were in the air when their carrier sank, and they didn't know what to do or where to go, so the confusion caused the error.

Pilot #1: "Do we land temporarily on another one, like Harriers do with airfields or what?".
Pilot #2: "Makes sense, but we're supposed to just crash, so I'm crashing this whole game with me!" haha. jk. :D

BTW, this may be unrelated but as I was testing, I noticed something a haven't seen before; if you make dolphins "force-fire" on trees within their range, the trees would disappear! :blink:

That's what I was thinking.

Took me a while too, but the 2 not crashing hornets came from the right (escaping) carrier, see the shadow as they go out of the carrier. 

8 hours ago, Ra2Nub said:

the 2 not crashing hornets came from the right (escaping) carrier, see the shadow as they go out of the carrier

11 hours ago, Sam-I-am said:

jk.

Just kidding, bro. :D
Even if they belonged to the sinking carrier, they'd just crash, which is normal; shouldn't cause any error anyway. 

There could be something with the carriers, but it's not that.

Welp, crash nr #2 (that is recorded that is lol)

Bleh. Not even anything navy was near here (from my screen anyway, not sure what happened on the other side), but black eagles were crashing again. But honestly, if it were the eagles crashing this whole dumb issue should happen more frequently or in general in other maps as well. It's also not lag or something because all these games are very smooth. 

Tsunami is one of the most popular official maps, and honestly, it surprises me it still is when this problem is so frequent and existing for long. It's a shame, since I really enjoy the map.

Edited by Ra2Nub
  • Check 1

Black Eagles again... interesting, but not very surprising; they were already on the list of main suspects.
OK, so focus on those.

You don't need 4 players to cause a recon. I think a 1v1 would be enough. If you and someone else record it, that would be good.

Try only Eagle strikes on his stuff and see what happens.
First without any resistance, then let him put GGIs, then Patriots, then Prism tanks, and hopefully you'll get a recon.
GL! :D

Edited by Sam-I-am

This is not fully on topic, but I will write about a small flaw that I noticed.

In RA2 mode, there is no "AnimList=PIFFPIFF,PIFFPIFF" animation, this is the animation of infantry weapons and pillboxes, and there is no "AnimList=MININUKE" animation, this is the animation from the explosion of elite dreadnought missiles and elite V3 missiles.
when it explodes, nothing happens. No visual effects.

In my maps, I gave these rockets an animation from the elite apocalypse.
But, I think it's not difficult to fix it, because. in YR mode these animations are present.

• Check 1

2 hours ago, CCCP84 said:

This is not fully on topic, but I will write about a small flaw that I noticed.

In RA2 mode, there is no "AnimList=PIFFPIFF,PIFFPIFF" animation, this is the animation of infantry weapons and pillboxes, and there is no "AnimList=MININUKE" animation, this is the animation from the explosion of elite dreadnought missiles and elite V3 missiles.
when it explodes, nothing happens. No visual effects.

In my maps, I gave these rockets an animation from the elite apocalypse.
But, I think it's not difficult to fix it, because. in YR mode these animations are present.

If you talk about RA2 mode there's many issues i noticed long ago

Unit speed upgraded has no animation, physic sensor and cloning vats still got the YR build animation, etc. But I wanted revisit RA2 mode problems another time again but since you do now, I may as well

3 hours ago, CCCP84 said:

Good point.

If anything required is missing, an error would happen.
You may wanna review any changed attributes of suspected units.

Edited by Sam-I-am

This time got an internal error. The internal error is a different window so OBS does not capture it, so here's a screenshot:

image.thumb.jpeg.de865d34521d060f84462dafa2d1a293.jpeg

Video match:

So the weird thing is that this time not everyone seems to have crashed. When I went out of the room, it seemed the others were still in-game. I had happen before where suddenly someone "lag out" so maybe it is similar to this. 

Caused by the Chrono? I don't know, but yeah. Getting tiring.

Speakng of underwater units, this is an ancient vanilla bug, but many times i keep be able to see underwater units I am no longer supposed to see anymore. This also happened offline in OG RA2, but maybe this is also a contributor to recons

Edited by Ra2Nub

13 hours ago, Ra2Nub said:

this is an ancient vanilla bug

Any idea why there are vanilla bugs but not strawberry bugs? Is it because bugs prefer vanilla for some reason? and if so, why? Sorry. Couldn't resist. :tongue:

13 hours ago, Ra2Nub said:

many times i keep be able to see underwater units I am no longer supposed to see

Yeah, I remember that, but it could be that you have scattered units that're close enough to see them. A single dolphin can be enough, y'know.

6 hours ago, Sam-I-am said:

Any idea why there are vanilla bugs but not strawberry bugs? Is it because bugs prefer vanilla for some reason? and if so, why? Sorry. Couldn't resist. :tongue:

Yeah, I remember that, but it could be that you have scattered units that're close enough to see them. A single dolphin can be enough, y'know.

Not sure if you are joking again, but vanilla is a gaming term for an "unmodified" version of the game, or the original release. In this context the original Red Alert 2 without the CnCNet mods.
https://letslearnslang.com/what-does-vanilla-mean-in-gaming/#:~:text=Vanilla is used to describe,modifications on the latest version.

As for the bug itself yeah it only happens if something was there before but died, for some reason the game does not remove your ability to see invisible units at that area sometimes.

Edited by Ra2Nub

4 hours ago, Ra2Nub said:

Not sure if you are joking again, but vanilla is a gaming term for an "unmodified" version of the game, or the original release. In this context the original Red Alert 2 without the CnCNet mods.

Thanks. :grin:
Yeah, I was joking as usual. :XD:

I should change my nick to Bad-Joker.

4 hours ago, Ra2Nub said:

As for the bug itself yeah it only happens if something was there before but died, for some reason the game does not remove your ability to see invisible units at that area sometimes.

Maybe becuase there're cameras attached to each unit, so even if it dies, you'd still be able to see what's going on around it. Makes sense.
Unless if the damage is severe enough to destroy the cameras too, as in most cases.

Edited by Sam-I-am