Strange sound issue

Chivalrous Peasant

Question

I am using the latest patches for TFD, including 1.06c r3 for Tiberian Dawn. So, for some reason the credit sound effect (when you spend credits or receive them from a tiberium harvester via a refinery) is muffled and can make crackly sounds whenever the sound plays, I have tried to increase/decrease the sound effect slider bar but it does not affect the sound. I have replicated this in Red Alert 1 and the sound works fine, no sound crackling or whatever, and the sound scales with the slider. I was wondering if it was due to the amount of sound channels being used at one time...

15 answers to this question

Well unfortunately it does intensify with multiple harvesters going at it, I know it's not a major problem but disabling the sound completely to save my sanity is quite the annoyance.. might just try and play around with the .cfg file, see if there is any relevant sound options there.  :(

It's the sound of money. Learn to like it.

Read the first post please rather than making a useless reply.

@Riseofbane: I'm not talking about the 'unit reporting' sound when you click on the unit, I am aware it's supposed to sound like a walkie talkie.

I was referring to the sound made when spending credits, or gaining them.

It's the sound of money. Learn to like it.

@Riseofbane: I'm not talking about the 'unit reporting' sound when you click on the unit, I am aware it's supposed to sound like a walkie talkie.

I was referring to the sound made when spending credits, or gaining them.

Hey,

Have you tried to choose different sound card during installation?

The money chirp sound has always been glitched in C&C95. I think it's related to the speed of the CPU or how fast the game is running. Try limiting the speed of the game by changing maxfps in ddraw.ini in your c&C95 folder.

If I'm recalling right the credit increase and decrease sound for C&C 95 is very quite. I'm 99.9% sure of this and I had to incress the volume of both when I added them to Red Dawn.

Now if only I could add a line into the .cfg file for those specific sounds, only volume lines I can see is the "Scorevolume" and "Volume"

Edit: @Tore: I had a play around with what you suggested, tried a combination of 'force CPU affinity', 'vsync' and the 'rendering rate' just for the hell of it, nothing seems to have changed, though I may try it again with compatibility mode see if there is any difference.

I read it.

... for some reason the credit sound effect (when you spend credits or receive them from a tiberium harvester via a refinery) is muffled and can make crackly sounds whenever the sound plays...

Sounds... Well, not sounds, but reads just like harvesters dumping tiberium in refineries to me. When you have big spending and several harvesters doing their little spurts in their refineries, sometimes the frequencies get high. Unlike in RA, where ore trucks just dump everything on the floor in a second flat, in TD harvesters deposit tiberium in little portions over a larger period of time. When these sounds interlace it sometimes resembles what you're describing. But we can't really hear what you hear, do we? Now, if the 'muffling' and 'crackling' also happen when you're JUST spending, or JUST processing credits, you may have a technical issue. If this is the case, it helps to be more specific, like post your system specifications, so some of the people on this board who know about computers (not one of them) can help you. The last thing I can think of is: are you talking about multiplayer games or single? Because lag too can cause the credits sfx to glitch.

I read it.

... for some reason the credit sound effect (when you spend credits or receive them from a tiberium harvester via a refinery) is muffled and can make crackly sounds whenever the sound plays...

Sounds... Well, not sounds, but reads just like harvesters dumping tiberium in refineries to me. When you have big spending and several harvesters doing their little spurts in their refineries, sometimes the frequencies get high. Unlike in RA, where ore trucks just dump everything on the floor in a second flat, in TD harvesters deposit tiberium in little portions over a larger period of time. When these sounds interlace it sometimes resembles what you're describing. But we can't really hear what you hear, do we? Now, if the 'muffling' and 'crackling' also happen when you're JUST spending, or JUST processing credits, you may have a technical issue. If this is the case, it helps to be more specific, like post your system specifications, so some of the people on this board who know about computers (not one of them) can help you. The last thing I can think of is: are you talking about multiplayer games or single? Because lag too can cause the credits sfx to glitch.

Well, I apologise for that oversight, I was a bit vague. I am running Windows 7, I use a USB headset, the drivers are up to date, as in the original post the game is fully patched. I just tested it ingame again, first test was with 1 harvester and a refinery, sound spikes as expected, the next test I used 3 refineries and 3 hervesters, all unloading at the same time, no difference in the frequency of the sound spikes. From what I heard there was no increase in the intensity of the sound spikes between the two tests. These tests were carried out in single player, and also network play with AI players. I have not tested it online with a human player.

I'm going to use this persons gameplay video to try and share what it sounds like, not sure if you can embed videos on here so I will link it to a specific point. (skip to 7mins 10secs) Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn "Walkthrough" [Nod] Missions 1-3

I know this is such a trivial problem, and I probably shouldn't have bothered with this thread but I thought I might as well share it just to see if anyone else has experienced this too.

I apologise if it is hard to make out, I would have recorded a video myself without any music or gunfire but i'm not very good with recording; but at this point in the video onwards where he trains a minigunner, builds a structure or gathers tiberium it is quite a distinct sound.

No need to apologize really, this forum is exactly for this kind of stuff.

From what I can make out from the vid, there seems to be nothing wrong with the money sound per se. Gunfire does sound a bit too loud in comparison though, but that may be due to the way he recorded the video or the fact that he's focusing on the action and multiple machineguns are firing at all times. I never really paid attention to it, but did test it now in SP: often the money sound will 'crack' when you start building something, the first 'spurt' of credits can be noticably louder than the rest, which just blend in with the other credit sounds and make them play faster. I'm pretty sure this also can happen when harvesters start unloading and possibly when you sell stuff or get money from crates.

Other than posting a video yourself, which would be great, you should try and see if these issues turn up with any consistency, like the cases already mentioned in this thread. Also you might want to test a regular line-out headset and see whether that does anything for you.