Old (1990s) unofficial mission cd?

Prometheus

hey guys,

i remember that in the 90s i had at one point an "unofficial mission cd" for C&C Tiberian Dawn... it included all kinds of modding tools, patches, savegames, TXT files (which contained FAQs, walkthroughs, tipps & tricks, rumours about Red Alert, etc.) and of course a whole bunch of new maps, both multiplayer and singleplayer... many of the singleplayer missions were poorly made, i remember some didn't work at all or seemed impossible to beat. but some were quite fun...

i specificially remember one of those missions which was called "BEER" ... or at least had the word "beer" in the title... the briefing text also was quite humourous, referring to Tiberium silos as beer tanks or something... i remember from the mission that the forces you were given were heavy on flame tanks and chem-troopers... but i don't remember much more, not even how playable it actually was...

i wonder if any of you have any idea of what i am talking about... do you think these missions are lost forever, or have they been archived somewhere? i don't know if they're even worth the effort to find and/or archive them, because, like i said, many of them tended to be of not very good quality. on the other hand, there might be some nostalgic value to dive into these "primitive stages" of third-party C&C mission design.

i don't know if they're even worth the effort to find and/or archive them, because, like i said, many of them tended to be of not very good quality

Hi Prometheus,

As Iran has pointed out, a lot of stuff was fixed in many single player missions and are still being fixed, the project looks like permanent so far:

- more than a hundred missions still haven't been re-released yet;

- Some missions were edited to add mission coding to complete them (95%) or to make it more fun or difficult (5%) (see example here);

- To worth the effort depends on the person. For me, it's been a pleasure and I got something to do that the most skilled wouldn't do it because they are busy with more important things, TD related + real life issues;

- Nevertheless, I get help from them very often;

- The Weak missions are divided in 2 groups: bad maps and good maps. Bad maps were made in the heat of TD era, the mapmakers were almost players only, just wanting to throw a lot of guns in-game. The Good maps were done by players that wanted to make a surprise to friends or such, they have done good maps, but the mission coding ended up poor or incomplete, which nowadays are far more easier to handle.

2 years ago I've found a site with a bunch of missions, but the google translator wasn't available at that time, when I got back there again, it was all lost. The only lost so far within my reaches.

So if you have THE chance to go after TD stuff, bring it here before it vanishes. If there's one good mission in there, it already pays the effort.

: ]

Oh thanks...

do you have a list of the remaining missions that were already submitted but not yet included in the pack?

where do i submit missions that i should have?

i'm asking because i don't know if you already have the missions from the "C&C 2005" pack... they are a number of german language missions... a while ago i translated them to english for my own purposes... i haven't even played them all, but from those that i played and from the briefings and titles i would say they are of mediocre to average quality...

i've included my MIX file with those to this post, but i should warn you: they have numbers in the SCh5x and SCh6x range.

SC-CC05.MIX

Hi,

1 - I've opened them and don't remember, but I'll make a search among my files here;

2 - Didn't remember also this 2005 pack, but I'll check it too;

3 - If you have txt files with information of them, about author and other details, let me know;

4 - In case of making to the collection, they get another number;

5 - I'll check triggers and teamtypes, if it's ok I'll keep them in the catalog;

6 - You can send anything in that link provided by Iran, the same way you did here - creating a post and attaching a file. Or you can send it to me using the personal message system;

7 - Thanks for the pack!

it used to be a download of the DOS version of C&C, without videos, with different music tracks and with the missions i uploaded above instead of the normal Covert Ops missions...

that download seems to have since disappeared from the internet. it used to be at http://www.angelfire.com/planet/cnc2005/...

i found this forum post by someone mentioning it, and i'm relatively sure that "DiViNiTY" was indeed the nickname the author used... unfortunately i have since deleted everything apart from these missions...

i just played the mission called "Conquer"... it was okay, although nothing special... difficult in the beginning, as you don't know where you are supposed to go, maybe the briefing text should be changed to point you into the right direction. i had some problems later, dragging out the mission extremely long. but those were apparently because of rusty C&C skills on my part. (wasted a lot of money on a big but not quite big enough attack force and then it took me a lot of time to recover)...

Ugh. That guy. He took DOS C&C, slapped a bunch of his own missions on it (and, if I remember correctly, tons of data changes in the unit weapons and stats too), and basically released it as if it was the normal original game, without any notice that anything was changed. To make it worse, he later did this again with C&C95, using my patch, without any crediting me for my work in it.

That guy is the sole reason the current 1.06 version adds "by Nyerguds" on the main menu.

He took DOS C&C, slapped a bunch of his own missions on it (and, if I remember correctly, tons of data changes in the unit weapons and stats too), and basically released it as if it was the normal original game, without any notice that anything was changed.

the version i have includes a readme file which lists all those changes. only in german though.

however, there are also alternate GDI and NOD campaigns. He states that he did the GDI campaign and about the NOD campaign he only says, that it's not by him... he doesn't mention the author of it though, which i found kinda strange.

i haven't tried all of the missions, but those that i tried don't do depend on the changes.

i'll copy/translate them in here:

The following structures can no longer be selected. to compensate, their price has been reduced as such:

NOD TURRET          from 600$  to 550$     

NOD OBELISK    from 1500$  to 1350$     

GDI GUARD TOWER              from 500$  to 450$     

GDI ADV. GUARD TOWER      from 1000$  to 950$

MCV now only costs 3800$.

ConYard enery has been raised from 400 to 800.

No sandbags, fences, or walls can be built.

i've tested the game itself and it seems that these are indeed the only "balancing" changes. (i think he intended them as anti-cheat changes.) they are slight and don't mean that such missions won't function.

(only thing which could need attention is if the enemy base has enough energy... but then, that's a common mistake for beginners)

but maybe you had a different version back then which had more drastic changes.

Ugh. Right. "we fixed the sandbag basewalking/enclosing cheat! You can't build sandbags anymore." :dry:

Well, there's a reason why early RTS games like Warcraft II limited the construction of walls to multiplayer only, as to prevent the player from getting an unfair advantage over the already not-too-bright AI.

OTOH, walls work pretty well with the AI in Age of Empires.

With C&C of course, there's the question of keeping the integrity of the original game intact.

What's the visceroid attacking but by the way?

There's a bit of a bug in multiplayer that any unit preplaced on the map goes into Hunt mode from the start, no matter what command they got in the ini file.

Since "Hunt" itself is bugged to "attacking the most northern target", it means the most northern player on the map is swarmed by about 5 visceroids from the very start. Pretty bad if you play games where you decide to start with little or no units besides the MCV.

• 2 months later...

Why don't you just fix the hunt mode bug?

Because it's not a bug, it's a missing logic that would handle it in a smarter way.

Oh, you mean all units reverting to it in MP? Uh, I dunno. Never really looked into it. That map is one of the few that has problems with it. (the other is Village of the Unfortunate, but that one only has civilians attacking, so it's not that bad)