Is there any way to get speed control on RA2's campaign? (C&C Collection, 2003)

Pumpkin

Any way whatsoever? Even if it involves some sort of modding? Anything, so long as it doesn't involve me paying again for another version of the game!

I'm just looking for a way to insert the speed control slider, which is present in RA2's multiplayer, into the campaign mode. As is, the campaign mode runs at double speed, which is too twitchy for me to enjoy (RTS's aren't my usual genre of choice, but I do love Red Alert).

I'm playing an RA2 CD from 2003's Command & Conquer Collection (contains CDs for RA2/YR, TS/FS, Renegade), on Windows XP. I've heard things about launchers and command line prompts, but I'm not sure if any of that works for this version of the game.

PS: I have already asked this in another thread, but I realised I was probably off-topic there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I was away for so long! My laptop's charger died and I just got a new one. Thanks for the replies!

Go into your Red alert 2 installation folder and open ra2.ini in a text editing program like notepad. Scroll down and you should find game speed. I think that's the only way to modify it in single player.

Changing the speed there didn't seem to do anything, unfortunately.

You can enable the gamespeed slider in campaign by opening game.exe with a hex editor and at offset 0x115439 changing bytes "74 07" to "90 90"

I've downloaded a hex editor called HxD, but I can't find the offset you're referring to. The ones I'm looking at go from 00000000 to 0042F100, but in increments of 10. There's plenty of "74 07"s in there, so at least I know I'm not looking in completely the wrong place!

• Confused 1

I downloaded the 1.006 patch, which changed the bytes in question to "74 07", which I then changed to "90 90" and saved (this created a .BAK file, too, by the way).

Unfortunately, the speed slider still isn't visible in campaign mode. I deleted all my saves and tried starting both campaigns over, just to be sure, but it still didn't work.

Still no speed slider, I'm afraid. The patch definitely worked, because the game menu has Version 1.006 displayed at the bottom.

Could it be that my version of the game (or my OS) is too old for this fix to work, or should this be working no matter what version I'm using?

OK, I replaced the game.exe with a blank game.exe I made with Metapad. When I try to load the game, the RA2 logo image comes up, but then it disappears after a few moments. Instead of being taken to the Statue of Liberty loading screen, nothing happens and the CD eventually stops spinning.

PS: I recently installed the Yuri's Revenge files, but I can uninstall them if they complicate matters right now.

• 2 weeks later...

No one found a way then?  How frustrating.  I've owned the collection for some time and just thought now of looking for a fix online, convinced no one would bother with such an old game.  Apparently the game runs too slow on some systems and too fast on others.  For me it is way too fast, making battle impossible.

What puzzles me is that the manual claims there is a speed slider in the options, and there isn't.  Why have they removed it and ruined the game???

Have you tried what Iran suggested to me?

It might not have worked for me, but it might work for you. It did seem pretty comprehensive.

I'm gonna uninstall everything and give it one more try in a few days, so it would be interesting to know if it works for you.

• 2 months later...

Late reply I know, I rarely visit this forum :D

Just add -speedcontrol to your shortcut:

(In Windows 7, right-click your RA2 shortcut icon -> shortcut tab -> Target -> add -speedcontrol). It should be similar to other Windows versions.

Example: "C:\Games\RA2\ra2.exe" -speedcontrol

Then restart RA2. If there is no shortcut file to your ra2.exe or game.exe, you can make one by right-clicking the exe file and choosing "Create shortcut". For more info on RA2's command line options, visit: http://modenc.renegadeprojects.com/Red_Alert_2. I hope this helped.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hell yes, -speedcontrol worked! Thanks for all the help, everyone!

I actually tried -SPEEDCONTROL, suggested by someone else, on my old laptop, running XP, but it didn't work. Perhaps it was the all CAPS? Either way; new laptop with Windows 7, and now a working RA2. Score!

• 2 years later...

If anyone is reading this thread several years later like I did, just a heads up that Iran's solution worked for me. I'm using version 1.006 on Windows 7 and changing the bytes 74 07 to 90 90 at the indicated location made the bar reappear.

• 3 years later...

So I read the full thread and made adjustments where I could before clicking the link Iran provided, nothing worked, I have the most updated version. I tried the link for the dropbox and apparently it isnt there anymore. where is everyone changing the bytes? I have the Origin version of the game and no disk.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/1/2014 at 5:48 PM, Iran said:

You can enable the gamespeed slider in campaign by opening game.exe with a hex editor and at offset 0x115439 changing bytes "74 07" to "90 90"

man i cant thank you enough :D

it worked after so long of failed tries