Flame Tank and Stealth Tank with turret SHP

Mussuy

Hi guys!

I've modified the Stealth Tank and Flame Tank SHPs so they both can have a turret. In the Stealth Tank case I just detached the little turret that you can see in the original SHP from the body, while in the Flame Tank case the original body became the turret (with minor modifications) and a shorter version of the light tank chassis became the new body (just like Renegade's Flame Tank).

The turret improves the offensive capabilities of both units, as they can now shot while moving (using the "Guard" mode) and chase units while firing at them. The flame tank is specially impressing with a turret.

How to use them:

- Download the SHPs.

- Rename "ftnk_wthturret" to "ftnk" and "stnk_wthturret" to "stnk".

- Create a backup of the "conquer.mix" file that you'll find inside your C&C folder and save it elsewhere, preferably inside a new "backups" folder in your C&C folder (Optional but recommended).

- Open the "conquer.mix" file inside your C&C folder with "MIX Editor" from XCC Utilities (you can find them here: http://xhp.xwis.net/utilities/ -> click to XCC Utilities -> Install them -> Open "MIX Editor". Not "XCC Mixer" or "XCC Editor", but "XCC MIX Editor").

- Find "ftnk.shp" and "stnk.shp" inside conquer.mix using the MIX Editor and delete them. Then insert the new "ftnk.shp" and "stnk.shp" that you just downloaded using the button "insert". Make sure that they are in the list now.

- Now you can either use TibEd 1 ( http://www.tibed.net/downloads ) or Nyerguds' Uge editor ( http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/tools/cnc95uge_beta2.zip ) to modify the vehicles and give them "HasTurret=yes". If you are are a new modder I suggest you to use TibEd. It's very intuitive and you can always remove all changes from the game (except modified MIX files, that's why we made a backup), what makes it ideal for beginners. UGE is more powerful and can modify more things than TibEd, like weapon damage and range, but we don't need that for this little modification.

- Finally, apply changes, run the game and enjoy!  :D

stnk.gif.b0910349e9a02ee8f537978b9e06a27c.gif

ftnk.gif.afb52fb0b56ce966f3c7f40e03115ca4.gif

stnk_wthturret.rar

ftnk_wthturret.rar

Pretty sweet stuff. :D

I've always wanted to see the Stnk, in particular, with a turret (as I does actually have one; both in the cut scenes and sitting on top in the SHP).

Did the Stnk always have the blue shiny bits on the wheels in the SHP? I know them from the cut scenes, but had never noticed them on the SHP (probably because it's usually in grey, and therefor, hard to see).

I'm a little underwhelmed by the flame tank here. Cool concept, and yeah, I remember the one from Ren... Maybe if the chases was flatter. It just looks a lot like a flame tank on top of a light tank body... I know that that IS mostly what it is, but it just looks a lot like it too. Pretty sure I can still see where the tracks are on the turret part of the flame tank. maybe look at deleting some lower pixels? It can be hard to make it look good once you start cutting too much stuff off, I know :P

-Liam

Oh, don't worry. Your constructive criticism is welcome :) Also I think you're absolutely right. The flame tank one was the first SHP I've never made, and I think that now I can do it better. I'll post the revised version once I finish it.

And yes, the Stealth Tank always had those blue dots in its wheels (although in the SHP they are not exactly blue).

Anyways, thanks for your reply :)

I'm using Open Source SHP Builder 3.38 Beta 6 and the regular Tiberian Dawn "temperat.pal". Did I miss something...? :S

Either way, I've finished the turreted Flame Tank v.2 and I also fixed a weird red dot in the stealth tank's turret. What do you think? I've just modified the turret and lowered its heigh. If that's not enough I'll modify the modified light tank chassis too :)

ftnk2.gif.4bd1d31638eb4af3308be0e1b6b4a3c1.gif

stnk.gif.a0a5ffad3a280dd1fa5206825a7125f7.gif

ftnk_wthturret.rar

stnk_wthturret.rar

Hi Mussuy,

I think you had great ideas, but the FTNK is not good or not "natural" enough, it still looks 2 tanks on top of each other.

An option I would suggest you is to get the LTNK or even the MTNK and ADD the white gas tanks on the rear of the tower.

they don't have to be the actual size, it can be a bit smaller to represent that you had to find space in a rotating tower, for example.

You'd have to diminish the size of the barrel too to represent the locally restricted action of the flames.

One other subject: check if it's possible to make an APC that does not turn to shoot the machine gun (like the case of the Hum-vee)? I'm thinking of changing an APC to a M35 truck in a mission I'm building. But it gets awkward if that truck keeps spinning to shoot all the time.

I think that's not possible. TD's APC body uses the frames from 33 to 38 for the back-door animation, while turrets use the frames between 33 and 64. That makes the turret take the form of the unloading body depending on the direction it's facing.

But there is one unit that has both transport capability and turret: the Phase Transport from RA1. I remember seeing someone use that unit to create the Bradley Infantry fighting vehicle, being able to carry passengers while keeping the turret.

I'm sure that in order to make that possible in tiberian dawn too you'll need hard-coding. Maybe there is a way to make the game choose the frames from 65 to 70 to make the unloading animation (or the last 6 frames), but I think that the only one that is capable of doing something like this is Nyerguds.

Regarding the flame tank I'll keep as it is now for some time, playing the game, and if after some time I still see it weird I'll work on it again. Thanks for your suggestion anyways :)

Thanks for the purple pals, White, although I still don't understand what's their purpose XD I think that one time I used them to convert the Heavy Tank cameo from red alert to C&C95, but I've never worked with them in the SHP builder.

And regarding the type of file I am saving as, it depends on what I plan to do. With units SHPs I don't have any problems with the Open SHP editor and I can save them directly as .shp (td). Cameos are a different story, though... I save them as .shp (ts) and then convert them to .shp (td) with the XCC Mixer. But with the last three cameos I've made (tech center, hospital and bio research lab.) I saved them to .pcx directly from Paint Shop Pro and then converted them to .shp (td).

And Nyer puts it blunt... lol.

The stnk is mean though :D

Your SHP editor can save TD shp files and NOT corrupt them?

I certainly don't have that. What version is it, may I ask?

And yeah, you need them for working in any black colours, else the black will get turned into 'transparent' upon converting them at all.

-Liam

I'm using the Open Source SHP Builder 3.38 Beta 6. The unit's SHPs edited with it work fine. On one occasion the XCC Mixer crashed while trying to visualize them but worked in-game. Now I can see them in the Mixer too without crashing (for no apparent reason). It corrupts cameos though, and I have to save them as .shp (ts) and begin the converting process.

In order to avoid using the 'clear-black' and the 'animated blue' in cameos I replace them using the "replace colour" button before saving them. With units' SHPs I work manually and I just avoid that colours.

Concerning the turreted flame tank... I want to keep it's distinctive form (the turret) while at the same giving it a visible tank chassis (just like the one in Renegade) but I don't know how to make it look natural. I though about shortening the body even more and making it flatter, but that will take a lot of work and I wanted to ask you your opinion before starting, because you have much more experience. What do you think? How would you make it look better without changing the turret too much?

Thanks for the purple pals, White, although I still don't understand what's their purpose XD I think that one time I used them to convert the Heavy Tank cameo from red alert to C&C95, but I've never worked with them in the SHP builder.

There is a readme file included. Read it.

And don't use it for icons. It's not meant for icons, and won't work well on icons  :huh:

Oh, I see... The first time I read it I was too new to understand anything, but reading it again after getting some experience with palettes and the MIX editors I can finally comprehend it. Those palettes will come handy once I start modding Red Alert and OpenRA.

Thanks Nyerguds for everything :)