Is there a way to extract high quality 320kbps mp3s from games on origin version

Lord_Dweedle

The music of the majority of the C&C games in on Frank Klepacki's site... which is rather easy to "rip" just by getting the mp3s out of your browser's cache. Can't guarantee the quality, but for C&C1/RA1/TS it's bound to be better than the 22050Hz 16-bit mono of the ingame AUD files.

As for legally... a lot of them seem to be on iTunes, if you search for "command conquer":

https://www.apple.com/search/?section=itunes&q=command%20conquer

Actual results at the bottom right. Dunno why it stuffs the iTunes results in a small corner when I specifically searched through iTunes O_o

(Note that their search seems to derp on the '&' character; adding that in the search returned no results :dry:)

[edit]

It seems all of them are on the EA soundtracks listing:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/ea-games-soundtrack/id267712132

You might need to look through all 7 pages before you find them all, though.

Me, though... I own all the soundtrack CDs. And the Sega Saturn version of C&C1, with its CD audio tracks  :cncsmirk:

Need I remind you, Nyer, that a very large part of C&C tracks doesn't exist in a disc form? :P

He asked an official legal download source. I can't help it if they're incomplete, can I?

And that's also why the addition of the Sega Saturn CD audio in my collection is such an awesome thing; it has tracks the soundtrack doesn't have :cncsmirk:

(I'm kinda sad they put ALL the Covert Ops tracks on the official C&C soundtrack CD instead of leaving a few off in favour of some other songs. After all, the original DOS Covert Ops CD had all of the new tracks as Redbook audio too, so it was its own soundtrack CD anyway)

You can extract from the mix files on the CD using XCC without agreeing to the EULA and installing the game. Seems you would be in the clear from a EULA perspective if you don't install it since you could never have agreed to it and being bound by its terms.

Um, if using such tools to extract data is illegal, EA would've been all over their creators ages ago. And wouldn't have praised the modding community at all as they did in the EALA days. :dry:

And that's where you're wrong. Exactly because modding increases the life span of a game, they have allowed it, despite the fact such things are against the EULA.

To compare, minecraft handled it differently: the creators have actually specifically stated that it's not illegal for people to hack their game to mod it, but in return, they reserve the right to incorporate any mod ideas into the final game :P

(And that's how minecraft got pistons. And redstone repeaters. And probably a bunch of other cool things like horses and such)

• 1 year later...

The music of the majority of the C&C games in on Frank Klepacki's site... which is rather easy to "rip" just by getting the mp3s out of your browser's cache. Can't guarantee the quality, but for C&C1/RA1/TS it's bound to be better than the 22050Hz 16-bit mono of the ingame AUD files.

As for legally... a lot of them seem to be on iTunes, if you search for "command conquer":

https://www.apple.com/search/?section=itunes&q=command%20conquer

Actual results at the bottom right. Dunno why it stuffs the iTunes results in a small corner when I specifically searched through iTunes O_o

(Note that their search seems to derp on the '&' character; adding that in the search returned no results :dry:)

[edit]

It seems all of them are on the EA soundtracks listing:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/ea-games-soundtrack/id267712132

You might need to look through all 7 pages before you find them all, though.

Me, though... I own all the soundtrack CDs. And the Sega Saturn version of C&C1, with its CD audio tracks  :cncsmirk:

us.7digital.com also lists EA Soundtracks, which is were I have acquired my game scores which include the Need For Speed and Mass Effect series as well.

Um. What? No, I was wondering why the heck the others are NOT offered in flac; flac is lossless high quality. I have all the C&C soundtracks converted to flac from my audio CDs.

And, purchase audio converters? Last I checked, Audacity+LAME is still 100% free.

Um. What? No, I was wondering why the heck the others are NOT offered in flac; flac is lossless high quality. I have all the C&C soundtracks converted to flac from my audio CDs.

And, purchase audio converters? Last I checked, Audacity+LAME is still 100% free.

I was referring to an app like Xilisoft's Audio Converter, which btw is a multi-format converter. For the record the most common music (and I mean music only) players generally don't support flac files so I went looking for a way to generate high definition audio files myself and I found a website about an HD version of the mp3 standard. the catch is that you have to create the audio files from wave files.

Before you comment about what I have said so far, mp3hd files will play w/o the HD filter inplace as standard mp3 files. in term of size the files are slightly larger that base mp3 files, but smaller that flac or wave files and they retain lossless quality.

I have uploaded a zip file containing the toolkit (cmd line), directshow filter (Windows Media Player), winamp plugin, and input_plugin so you can see what I am talking about here: https://mega.nz/#!VZ4FAQwB

I was referring to an app like Xilisoft's Audio Converter, which btw is a multi-format converter.

So use something else, that's free? LAME is the most popular free MP3 converter; it's a plugin that is supported/required by hundreds of audio apps to allow them to write MP3.

For the record the most common music (and I mean music only) players generally don't support flac files

Come now. flac is just an audio encoding. Any codec pack will allow you to play it with apps that use the standard Windows multimedia plugins system. Heck, as far as I know, Winamp can play flac out of the box.

Before you comment about what I have said so far, mp3hd files will play w/o the HD filter inplace as standard mp3 files. in term of size the files are slightly larger that base mp3 files, but smaller that flac or wave files and they retain lossless quality.

You don't seem to know what "lossless" means. MP3 is a lossy format, plain and simple. mp3hd still uses mp3 compression, it just saves the files in higher quality.

I have uploaded a zip file containing the toolkit (cmd line), directshow filter (Windows Media Player), winamp plugin, and input_plugin so you can see what I am talking about here: https://mega.nz/#!VZ4FAQwB

...to do what, exactly? As I said, I have the soundtracks, ripped straight from the soundtrack CDs, as flac, and that's the way I like 'em. :heady:

btw, that link asks for a "decryption key". I can't access it.