Suggestions and feedback needed for the Yuri's Revenge CnCNet 5 client

Iran

The ability to team in game (and therefore the ability to start a match with random spots and teams) is something i would really like to see added.

Fairly sure they specifically took that out in the later C&C games to prevent the whole "ololol imma now declare war and take over your whole base" thing.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never encountered that being an issue on other servers.  I just assumed as it was an in-game feature and cncnet is an external client it was more complex to add.

I'm pretty sure if you put this to other players, the overwhelming majority would want this feature added. Certainly speaking for the XWIS players at least. Not only is it an important feature if you wish to randomise teams and spots- it gets games going faster as in bigger games especially, teaming people up can be a pain!

Hello guys,

I'm willing to give  some suggestions, yep some of them may look wired but that's what a Yuri player may want to find :laugh:

- Ladders (solo & clan)

- Possibility to ally ingame!

- Friend/ban list for every user

- Possibility to page someone ingame

- Ping notification

- Anticheat support

and many thanks !

Um. Anticheat is already being done all the time, ladders are planned as far as I know, and 'paging' users ingame is just sending them messages, no? Or do you mean sending messages from outside the game to someone inside a game?

Not really, when coming to high competitive activity you will meet some real weird stuffs that cheaters use for their favor, for exemple pushing, which means that someone asks his mates to lose vs him so he get easy points. Also crashing the game after the use of a hack or trainer isn't really a solution, the best thing is to ban cheaters (maybe MAC ban?), in general a section of the forum needs to be dedicated for cheats reports and investigation, like in the official server.

Paging means that i can send a message to someone who is already playing a game.

I wish i'm not asking for much, but if these points are done it would be perfect, there are some players who only play ranked games, they want see their names in the #10 list  ;)

@Nyerguds

Wouldn't it be preferable to just add more pleasant sounds instead? Ones that have a lower volume as well.

The annoying sounds would also cause the players to be slightly more aggressive, which should be prevented as much as possible. :P

I honestly have no idea what sounds are in the client. I just responded to the request of volume control.

Hello all,

Firstly thanks to everyone involved with this project. I love RA2/YR and have had a lot of fun playing YR again the past few weeks after years of absence! One thing I think needs to be a priority to improve the overall experience:

Allow allying in-game. Not being able to have random positions and then ally in game really detracts from the experience.

My feedback on the initial questions below:

Do you want a game option when hosting a match to prevent players from picking Yuri?

I think this is a very good idea to have a check box allowing/preventing Yuri. Personally I would also love it if you could choose 'Random' but Yuri was excluded, for example by having a 'Random - Allied', 'Random - Soviet', 'Random - All but Yuri' and 'Random - All' selection. This would be great for FFA (I think).

Do you want a game option to prevent dogs from eating engineers?

This already seems to be in place... seems like this is off most of the time based on the games I've played. Not hugely fussed about it.

Do you want a game mode which implements the balance changes from the RA2 1.007 fan 'patch' by Piscinex? (see http://www.blackassassins.org/pisc/readme.htm)

I think it's best to keep the games "as they were" but if you can have a check box to put this on/off then I don't see the harm. As someone else said it's been available for years but doesn't get used often - but maybe that is due to a lack of awareness/laziness opposed to not liking the changes themselves.

How important are quick match and ladder?

I would like to see a quick match/ladder, but wary of the people/behaviour it could bring. I know I had to deal with so many DC back in the day, along with the occasional cheater. I think this is mainly driven by wanting to keep a clean win/loss ratio (i.e. zero losses). I've always thought that instead of showing your wins/losses if you just had this hidden and had a points system in place, along with the rank in the leaderboard, people would be less likely to cheat/DC, as there would be no way of knowing whether you had lost any games. Just an idea. EDIT: Or just have the wins/losses viewable to the player. As in you can only ever see you own wins/losses.

Do you guys want a game mode which makes the game play like Red Alert 2? With the same tech trees, units etc?

Keep RA2 separate, to be honest.

Do you guys want a game mode which enables all country bonuses for every side when picking a country of that side?

Not fussed by this personally, but if it's just a check box, then sure.

In the loading screen for a match the game shows the spawn locations of all the players by drawing a rectangle with the player's color on the preview map. Do you want a game option to disable this logic?

This appears to be in place already. I think this is fun for FFA/team battles, so you don't know who starts where. Obviously you can work out your position instantly, but not knowing if you're adjacent to an Allied or Sov etc makes scouting and anti-scouting all the more important.

Other small points, most of which have been mentioned already:

- Allow sounds/volume controls for in lobby

- Being able to 'force random' on teams/positions/colours etc seems like a good idea

- If you login initially and click the 'auto-connect' option but then later want to edit your name, the only way I know of doing that now is to edit the settings file in the RA2 directory. Either change your 'handle' or change the auto-login to 'no' and then save. If this could be made easier that would be cool.

- Clan functionality/clan tags? Maybe this already exists, I haven't really looked into it.

- Being able to page people who are in a game, from the lobby. Before you could do this with the /page nickname message function, and in game you could just do /r to reply quickly. This was a good function.

- Having a buddy list is a good idea.

- Perhaps having an "optimal settings for Windows 7/8" displayed somewhere... i.e. how to setup your game settings to reduce lag as much as possible (video back buffer?)

- Also in options, maybe explaining what things mean if you hover over them? For instance, the "use graphics patch" thing... what does this actually do/mean?

- Having the chat windows separate per person instead of stacked, like frequenzy suggested. Or perhaps having the option for stacked/separate.

- Allowing game settings to be 'remembered', again as mentioned by frequenzy. I fully agree that it's annoying to play a few games, join another game/leave, come back to hosting a game, and having everything revert to default.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm really enjoying playing this again though so thanks for your hard work. Hopefully some of this feedback is useful :)

EDIT: Also I've had a bit of a glitch with my Malibu Cliffs map. When on Battle, on my screen all 6 positions are in the top left corner as if it's Land Rush. For everyone else it seems to look normal. Maybe something to do with playing maps on different types (e.g. landrush, ffa, battle, etc)?

Messages showing that a player is ready should not be repeated on following button clicks.

This makes it impossible to read chat messages and allows immature players to spam the host.

The client also seems to be quite easily overwhelmed, and one or multiple users hammering away at a button lags the client program to the point where it becomes difficult for other users to adjust their settings properly while the clicking barrage is taking place.

• 1 month later...

Myself and a friend of mine both had to scour the forum to find out why the game was lagging on Windows 8. We found that 'ddraw.dll' file in a post half way down some search results.

Wondering if that file could be packaged with the CNCNET installer so people with less patience would get it dropped in their game folder without knowing about it? Could save some lag issues. Similar with the 'video back buffer', could that be off by default?