Suggestions and feedback needed for the Yuri's Revenge CnCNet 5 client

Iran

Myself and a friend of mine both had to scour the forum to find out why the game was lagging on Windows 8. We found that 'ddraw.dll' file in a post half way down some search results.

Wondering if that file could be packaged with the CNCNET installer so people with less patience would get it dropped in their game folder without knowing about it? Could save some lag issues. Similar with the 'video back buffer', could that be off by default?

There is already a better solution than the ddraw.dll, all new installations should get it automatically. Not sure if it is used yet tho

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I'm not sure if the following have already been asked in this topic (tl, dr):

-What does the "Use graphics patch" do?

-Is there any way to stop the windows from auto-scrolling back to the top?... really annoying.

-How are the 'tunnel servers' best used, I mean, if I know I'm gonna play against someone from Europe, should I choose a European tunnel for example? I have no idea what it's for.

-What's 'Persistent Game Lobby'?

-Lastly, which one of you guys is 'Gaylord'? :D

-What does the "Use graphics patch" do?

Improves game performance on most systems.

-Is there any way to stop the windows from auto-scrolling back to the top?... really annoying.

Back to the bottom, you mean? Nope. Not in the current public build, the next build will have it better though. Check out the current DTA (I know you're familiar with it) version if you want to see it.

-How are the 'tunnel servers' best used, I mean, if I know I'm gonna play against someone from Europe, should I choose a European tunnel for example? I have no idea what it's for.

It's indeed best to pick the tunnel server closest to the players. In CnCNet 5 (DTA/TI/my TS/YR) you connect to other players via tunnels. This is to make opening router ports unnecessary and for protecting you against players with bad intentions (your IP address cannot be seen by the other players, unlike with the peer-to-peer connection method traditionally used for classic C&C).

-What's 'Persistent Game Lobby'?

If Persistent Game Lobby is enabled, the hosted game lobby isn't disbanded after the game ends.

I'm unable to answer the last point.

Before I go into client suggestions, I would like to share what's so desperately needed here on the discussion boards. Now that RA2 and YR are free to download, there's been this massive influx of players with no experience. Therefore, someone should put together a training section with basic build orders and fundamentals. The one that was on Strike Team taught me and likely countless others so much invaluable information and I'm quite certain that postings which are well-written will do the same here.

As for client tweaks:

Fix Naval War, Meat Grinder, Land Rush and Megawealth to exactly how they are on XWIS.

More game lobby options (actually, mostly exclusions):

-All random countries

-All random Positions -- make it so that on Team Alliance or Battle settings, it automatically knows which team to place each player

-Allied/Soviet only with two options: 1. Player/Host chooses country 2. Random

-Yuri only -- players cannot select a different country

-Everything random

-Expand the crates option when enabled:

1. No Yuri MCV

2. Matching MCV from crates: The only MCVs that players can acquire from crates are the same as what they started with. For example, if someone starts out with a Soviet country, as far as MCV crates are concerned, they will not be able to acquire an Allied or Yuri MCV.

3. Be able to change the abundance of crates, perhaps have options like this: A. Normal, B. Minimal, C. Double, D. Triple, etc. Imagine being able to play other official maps besides ToE where there's lots of crates!

-Miners from factory first (up to 3): Cannot begin to build any other vehicle until you first make the minimum number of Miners from your War Factory, which is set by the host. You can still queue other vehicles but the game will not allow them to be built until the last required Miner rolls out of the factory.

-No spying factories or barracks (primarily for ToE and possibly custom crate maps)

-No Navy

The client can be a lot better imo, but some fixes are really urgent, here my suggestions:

Fixes:

- All the scroll down lists in the client are buggy, starting from the game selection menu on the left that needs a slide bar and ending with the faction and colour selection, with the recent activity boost it became really annoying to join a room, it just jump up again every time you scroll down with the keyboard.

- There is an issue with the edited maps, the client downloads new maps instantly, i wish you guys add an option to give the choice of accepting the transfer or no, also most of those maps are cheated, like infinite power in some spots, map reveal, more money ...

- When going random army, the client tend to give germany, i've seen a 8p games with 7 germany  :P

- We really want to ally in game instead of picking teams before starting the game, it's something you need to put on the top of MUST DO list.

- The undestroyable Bridges give me the feeling that developers never played RA2/Yuri :(, it's simply an option not for these 2 games, for example you need to destroy a bridge so your navy can access some zone in the map, like in Hammer & Sickle, in Heartland the game becomes non-sens if your opponent knows that you can't blow the bridge ( the distance between the 2 bases is so close).

- A working room ban.

Updates:

- Ladders !!! , sorry  i know it's complicated to add this feature but many wants to play competitive, now all we can find are rooms full of noobs playing mod maps, to get a perfectly working ladder the map pool needs to be limited to official ones only, clan games are needed so it will be 2 ladders, Solo and CM, and ofc a team to deal with cheaters and prepare the monthly HOF, that's all  :D

- A friends list like in GR  8)

- A black list option.

- A ping notification (i think it's already included in the new update).

- The possibility to MP players in game (XWIS feature).

- Room filter needed, to delete the full/locked rooms.

- A notification when the player is afk.