Suggestions and feedback needed for the Yuri's Revenge CnCNet 5 client

Iran

We're developing the client and I'm looking for suggestions and feedback.

Do you want a game option when hosting a match to prevent players from picking Yuri?

Do you want a game option to prevent dogs from eating engineers?

Do you want a game mode which implements the balance changes from the RA2 1.007 fan 'patch' by Piscinex? (see http://www.blackassassins.org/pisc/readme.htm)

How important are quick match and ladder?

Do you guys want a game mode which makes the game play like Red Alert 2? With the same tech trees, units etc?

Do you guys want a game mode which enables all country bonuses for every side when picking a country of that side?

In the loading screen for a match the game shows the spawn locations of all the players by drawing a rectangle with the player's color on the preview map. Do you want a game option to disable this logic?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to be difficult to get feedback from players at xwis that know RA2/YR inside-out because linking to this topic apparently isn't allowed there (I already tried, but maybe you can PM everyone instead :P). For what it's worth, here are my thoughts...

Do you want a game option when hosting a match to prevent players from picking Yuri?

[glow=red,2,300]Yes. It can be annoying at times having to keep telling players 'no yuri'.[/glow]

[glow=red,2,300]No. It will stop people from eating your engineer as it makes it's way to a 'your' tech building or bridge which is a good thing, but it will also stop your dogs from being able to save your building from an enemy engineer going for an easy win.[/glow]

Do you want a game mode which implements the balance changes from the RA2 1.007 fan 'patch' by Piscinex? (see http://www.blackassassins.org/pisc/readme.htm)

[glow=red,2,300]I think this was only for RA2, not YR. But if it's possible, yes, because it will make useless units like the demolition truck or Cuban terrorist actually useful. But to be honest, this patch has been available for so many years now but nobody uses it. But then again, that said, if all the players had to do was click a check-box to enable/disable it as opposed to shutting RA2 down, look for the patch, install it then restart RA2, then it may actually get more attention. As long as it stays as an option and doesn't become a requirement, then I don't see it hurting anybody.[/glow]

[glow=red,2,300]A ladder, especially with a 'Quick Match' option that randomizes the maps, will be one of the reasons, if not the only reason why players will come here. I'm willing to bet on that. RA2/YR players love competition and having something to fight for such as rank and reputation will increase the level of competition. But of course there will be downsides to this such as more work for staff due to cheats that cannot be fixed with a patch such as 'pushing' (where players give free points to their buddies to improve their rank) or sabotaging the connection which takes several matches to prove who the culprit is, or maybe even server hacking. But even with all that in mind, I still think that the positives out way the negatives though.[/glow]

Do you guys want a game mode which makes the game play like Red Alert 2? With the same tech trees, units etc?

[glow=red,2,300]Just like the Piscinex's Unofficial 1.007 patch, if it's just an option and not a requirement, then yes. But if you're adding this option so that you wouldn't need to add support for RA2, then no. RA2 and YR have subtle differences such as the amount of time it takes to build a unit, being able to select your newly built unit before it comes out of the warfactory, pressing 'tt' while a building is selected so that every other same building will also be selected, and other differences give the two games a very different feel.[/glow]

Do you guys want a game mode which enables all country bonuses for every side when picking a country of that side?

[glow=red,2,300]The more options the merrier![/glow]

In the loading screen for a match the game shows the spawn locations of all the players by drawing a rectangle with the player's color on the preview map. Do you want a game option to disable this logic?

[glow=red,2,300]No. If this YR client becomes popular and more maps are added later on (like at xwis), having a map preview will make the playing field a little more even for players who don't have the time to learn so many maps. Imo, adding so many maps to the ladder is one of the reasons why some people quit playing as they couldn't beat a lower-skilled player who had better map knowledge. Two separate ladders would have fixed this problem though: one ladder with just the standard Westwood maps, and another with all. But that's just my opinion.[/glow]

No.

Why would anyone have a problem with that?

No. Unless, maybe, we get a consistent YR patch based on the 1.002 UMP by Marshallx.

Not as important as stability and compatibility. It would be cool to have, though.

Leave RA2 to RA2, please. It'll be easier for everyone.

That would be interesting to test, but I think it'll spawn even bigger imbalance.

I don't find this necessary. The game tries to spawn players symetrically, and this logic was inherited in subsequent C&C games. If you're playing on an 8-player map with only one opponent, you know exactly where he is even without the loading screen display.

We already support 8 players (including observers). I also enabled a hack to enable multiple spectators (the game is internally limited to one spectator).

The project is pretty far (excluding game accounts/ladder/quickmatch etc support). Problem is someone else is doing the client and he won't release his source code yet. We're kinda working on that mostly. You can play skirmish and online games with the client but it misses support for sharing maps, drawing player spawns in the map previews and the game modes support needs a few things. Other than that an auto-updater is needed and some extra file checks need to be added. Once that's done we can release a public beta. Once we have the source code I'm gonna do a bunch of GUI changes and add a lot of smaller stuff.

Nice! I'm no programmer but I'm guessing the 'client' is what allows YR to connect/communicate with CnCNet. I'm really looking forward to this. Xwis was great and still is, but there are pages and pages of really good ideas in the forums that apparently could not be implemented or just simply ignored for one reason or another. Based on what you guys have produced thus far here on CnCNet with the other C&C games, I'm confident that this will be just as good, if not better. Long live C&C!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We're developing the client and I'm looking for suggestions and feedback.

I don't see a problem with an option, certainly stops those annoying 'No yuri plz' moments that last forever. Would this appear in the game info in the lobby?

I did originally, but the others have made quite good points regarding the disadvantages.

Probably not no, no-one has that patch (that I know of) or has played it in a long while.

Quickmatch and ladder will bring a whole different type of playerbase and probably more players. However,  there has to be some thought into how we preserve friendly games, lobbies, protect the newer players, and still bring a good competitive scene.

Not really - wouldn't see the point in the work - there would be something thats not quite right so might aswell support RA2 separately.

Anonymous spots could be a cool game option, for what game modes though? Pointless if you're picking the spots in the pre-game lobby.

Tabbed chats for private messages instead of the current drop down menu for selecting the recipient when multiple private message conversations are active.

When hosting a game, the "select tunneling server" option reverts to the previous label "hide/display advanced options" after it has been clicked.

The ban and kick icons are poorly designed and very hard to read at high display resolutions.

1. No, but a slightly better balanced version of the original would be better.

2. Very important. It's what makes the game more attractive to play.

I noticed yesterday when playing it you cant jump back to the main chat room when your in the game room while waiting for players to enter your room. Damn that's a tongue twister . I played one game against someone yesterday and it was a fucking awesomeness

I just tried and the 'game lobby' window that appears when you're hosting (with maps, human/ai players list) is an extra window and the main window is still there, so you can still chat in the main CnCNet/Red Alert2/ Yuri's Revenge chat room will hosting a game.

EPeSd8L.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. I downloaded the beta and had been testing it for some time now. Just this morning, I tried opening it to play but I it failed on the update. I never had this issue before (the night before) and never had changed anything. Checked my firewall etc. Was thinking  could  the update server be down?

Capture.JPG.21ce0c21368620faff1476631a87ac95.JPG