Installing from CD?

Eisengeist

The installer on the CD wouldn't work on my system.  What seems to be working is this:

Downloaded the smallest Lite package of Gruntmods and installed it.

Copied the music folder from CD to data subfolder of Dune2000 and copied movies folder from CD to Dune2000 folder.

Directories look like this:

Dune2000/data/music

Dune2000/movies

And in Dune2000.ini I set

FirstTimePlay=Yes

ForceNoCD=Yes

Initially I was having trouble with saying this is a spawn, please install from CD or something and not letting me play campaign, then next when asking for the CD it wouldn't read it, even though it was in my drive.  Then I had trouble of having movies but no music and then music and no movies until I arranged the folders the way I have it now.  So now it seems to work alright with movies and music.

• 3 months later...

Really? wtf, I thought the game had no 16bit version at all :D

The game? That's completely irrelevant. It's just that the installer is a 16-bit Windows program. The Windows 3.11 generation.

More then a little bit of a bump but I wanted to explain this a bit more. Installshield was the dominant installer followed closely by Wise, and it only supported 16 bit installations at the time (which windows dropped support for in exchange for 32 bit support in 64 bit systems).

You can indeed copy the music etc from the CD to the "Lite" version of the GruntMods Edition, just make sure not to overwrite anything in the GruntMods directory.

• 2 months later...

That is pretty cool, where did you get documentation on the format of the archives InstallShield 3 used? I wrote an extractor for getting the files for C&C95 and Sole Survivor off their CD's a while back and had to crib a few of the fields from existing tools and figure out a few more fields for myself, but I didn't have a complete format I don't think and would like to have it documented somewhere.

where did you get documentation on the format of the archives InstallShield 3 used?

I googled around a bit and found https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/blob/629fe95ebdfd669d04af5cdbdb900bf09e08e39e/OpenRA.FileFormats/Filesystem/InstallShieldPackage.cs .  Reading that was enough to extract the files, though I figured out the modification date/time was in old DOS format, and that's documented at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724247%28v=vs.85%29.aspx .

• 7 years later...
On 9/8/2015 at 9:35 PM, SmileTheory said:

So I wrote an installer for installing off CD.

Well, some of it.  blast.c/blast.h I got from the contrib folder in zlib, and are Copyright © 2003, 2012 Mark Adler.

Installer is attached.

Source code is at https://github.com/SmileTheory/d2kinst .

D2KInst.zip 56.9 kB · 3082 downloads

Oh man, this just saved my butt, thanks heaps for making this. Still works!