So I tried a bit of RA2/YR online....

Jacko

Annnnnnd it sucks.

I feel the game pushes way too hard on turtling and actively punishes players who go out and try to make things interesting.

The Soviets are generally useless and Allies vs Allies lasts like 4 hours. It's dull as hell.

The unit-to-unit balancing is attrocious, and honestly it was better even in RA1. Allies build like 1 Battle Fortress and any sorry player dumb enough to pick soviets can go home and forget about winning the game.

The Soviets have one main useful unit, the Rhino tank. Guess what? In Soviet vs Allies you got maybe a 45 second window where they give you an advantage, except even Basic GI's will fucking melt them before you get even close. How stupid.

Maybe you could build Kirov Airships? Nope. For 2k you got a flying bucket of concrete that is just too easy to shoot down. It's not like it tells the enemy you've built one...

Or a siege chopper maybe? A great turtle weapon but actually getting it into a position to attack, not gonna happen.

The simple fact is, Soviets suck. Thus everyone plays allies and just infinitely turtles until someone gets bored and either leaves or attacks and loses.

It's not good having powerful basic tanks and useless ranged weaponry when the allies have Anti-tank weapons that are OP as hell.

The game is 100x better when played with superweapons, but nobody frickin plays with them on.

Feel free to bash me all you like about what I've said but my opinion stands that Yuris Revenge online is terrible.

Singleplayer is fun as hell but Multiplayer is just bad.

Annnnnnd it sucks.

I feel the game pushes way too hard on turtling and actively punishes players who go out and try to make things interesting.

The Soviets are generally useless and Allies vs Allies lasts like 4 hours. It's dull as hell.

The unit-to-unit balancing is attrocious, and honestly it was better even in RA1. Allies build like 1 Battle Fortress and any sorry player dumb enough to pick soviets can go home and forget about winning the game.

The Soviets have one main useful unit, the Rhino tank. Guess what? In Soviet vs Allies you got maybe a 45 second window where they give you an advantage, except even Basic GI's will fucking melt them before you get even close. How stupid.

Maybe you could build Kirov Airships? Nope. For 2k you got a flying bucket of concrete that is just too easy to shoot down. It's not like it tells the enemy you've built one...

Or a siege chopper maybe? A great turtle weapon but actually getting it into a position to attack, not gonna happen.

The simple fact is, Soviets suck. Thus everyone plays allies and just infinitely turtles until someone gets bored and either leaves or attacks and loses.

It's not good having powerful basic tanks and useless ranged weaponry when the allies have Anti-tank weapons that are OP as hell.

The game is 100x better when played with superweapons, but nobody frickin plays with them on.

Feel free to bash me all you like about what I've said but my opinion stands that Yuris Revenge online is terrible.

This is pretty much all wrong. Soviets were the favoured faction amongst the majority of pros for a reason. 

4-5 tanks when used correctly > BF

He's spamming gis/ggis to stop an early rhino press? Let him waste money on a ggi which costs 75% of the cost of one of your rhino tanks and take1 deso with you...

Go for his miners

A battle fortress costs 2k but a further 3k to fill it with ggi's.

Just some points. I can show you online at some point if you'd like. You are basing your opinion after just 2-3 weeks online play. Once you get know the game better and perhaps play with decent players this may change.

So you're saying I need ~5k worth of material to beat ONE battle fortress. Not to mention he has a whole bunch of other units.

Going for his miners is a basic tactic but its no use on 60% of maps where the money is inside a player's Base.

Desolators are good but funilly enough Basic GI's, dogs, Rocketeers and (shock horror) battle fortresses are pretty good at killing desolators. They're powerful but still easily beatable.

Plus a ggi only costs 400, a Rhino 900

So you're saying I need ~5k worth of material to beat ONE battle fortress. Not to mention he has a whole bunch of other units.

Going for his miners is a basic tactic but its no use on 60% of maps where the money is inside a player's Base.

Desolators are good but funilly enough Basic GI's, dogs, Rocketeers and (shock horror) battle fortresses are pretty good at killing desolators. They're powerful but still easily beatable.

Plus a ggi only costs 400, a Rhino 900

My mistake (I thought 600), but thisstill means a fully equipped BF costs 4,000 and 4-5 tanks is about the same if not less.

60% of maps money is inside of base? Not sure where you got this statistic from but it's false. But even if it were true..have you heard of splitting...?

This isn't really up for debate tbh lol. It's proven historically if you go and look at all the YR hall of games on XWIS over the past 10 years. The majority are soviet players. Ask any seasoned YR player and they will tell you soviets are easy to use vs allieds.

If you are playing sov properly your aim should probably be not to let the allied player even get the chance to build a battle fortress.

Like I said. It's difficult to explain everything over a forum but if you want games online at some point I will show you.

If you are playing sov properly your aim should probably be not to let the allied player even get the chance to build a battle fortress.

I understand the concept but the Rhinos have such a small advantage over the Allies' basic units that it becomes such a task to do.

Not to mention things like larger maps, and teamgames where it becomes even harder to do this effectively.

In RA2, I always get an early advantage using Soviet against Allies by Rhino Tank rushing, GIs are squashed, Grizzlies are comparatively weak and Prism Towers build slow, the Allies are tough when they build a Battle Lab (that's my experience playing RA2 LAN with friends and relatives).

However with the introduction of guardian GIs, the Allies seem to have better early anti-tank, not to mention Battle Fortresses later on which makes them a dangerous faction.

Depends on the map for YR, but yah YR has some imbalances.

That being said.... allied is much better on YR than on Ra2, but soviets are still a very very very strong faction for two overpowered reasons:

1. desolator

2. iron curtain

I feel that without Superweapons that the game often stutters and players can force the game so that nothing happens. For hours. The whole point of the superweapons is that they alone won't win the game for you but if used appropriately with other stuff they deal very hefty blows.

Iron Curtain is badass and can really mess people up, along with short recharge time. Nukes are great too (because simply, its a nuke) I often find myself first to build a superweapon in larger games.

YR really buffs the Allies and mostly ignores the soviets. I am happy to keep something like a Guardian GI in the game because on their own they are beatable, but stick them in some massive (almost) indestructible block and everything comes into question.

And yes desolators are powerful as hell, although I haven't found them particularly useful in Soviet vs Soviet

I feel that without Superweapons that the game often stutters and players can force the game so that nothing happens. For hours. The whole point of the superweapons is that they alone won't win the game for you but if used appropriately with other stuff they deal very hefty blows.

Iron Curtain is badass and can really mess people up, along with short recharge time. Nukes are great too (because simply, its a nuke) I often find myself first to build a superweapon in larger games.

YR really buffs the Allies and mostly ignores the soviets. I am happy to keep something like a Guardian GI in the game because on their own they are beatable, but stick them in some massive (almost) indestructible block and everything comes into question.

And yes desolators are powerful as hell, although I haven't found them particularly useful in Soviet vs Soviet

Like I've said you need to witness it in game. Perhaps watch some pro vs pro YouTube videos there's plenty about.

Guest Mechacaseal

Just got done playing tiberian dawn matches. first match got engi apc rushed at start. second match got ou spammed by cycles vs my tanks idk how the cycles did so much damage to my tanks. next match i got dominated by 50 buggies near start of match. fawk that game ra2 better lol/

Everything in the opening post is incorrect in my experience. I've played for years, since WOL, and reached HOF on XWIS when it was highly active. I played as Allied but was one of the few to do so - the truth is 90% of people play as soviets and this is because generally they're "easier to be better with". You have to really know the game inside out to play well as Allied, especially if you're against a decent Sov player, whereas Soviet are a lot easier to work with, especially early on when you have huge advantages over Allied.

BF's shouldn't really be an issue as hardman says - they require tech + power plant (£2.8k), cost £2k and then you need £2k to fill it or £2.6k if adding a seal for desolators. That's £7.4k for your first BF, plus a shit load of time, as you're building infantry and tanks (and buildings) simultaneously so your resources will be drained rapidly (i.e. expect to hit 0 cash whilst this is happening). Not to mention how slow BF's are and how much micro they needed to be used well... throw in some fodder and tank split and you'll kill it easily. Use a Kirov to protect your tanks, making it shoot the Kirov as you rush it. BF's are also pretty useless in isolation and need to be backed up by mirage/prism to be truly effective, which costs a hell of a lot to do. If you multi warf with Sov you will just out tank a teching Allied so easily. But yeah you really should be pressing and playing aggressive if you're soviet so you don't give them a chance to tech up, or give them a proper hard time if they do.

As hardman says, there's a reason so many of the pros used Soviet... rhinos+desos are very hard to beat if you know what you're doing. Allied generally have to have all their units in one place to defend/attack well whereas Soviet you can split a lot easier. If SW are on then iron curtain is a huge advantage too. Also siege choppers are amazing - the own tanks, infantry and buildings if you know what you're doing, can kill rockies and harriers too. Hit and run with siege gives Soviet their own "rocketeers" effectively which is why Allied are so great in the first place., i.e. simultaneous attacks from air and land (2 or 3 tank splits, 1-2 rockie splits, paradrop, planes all at once... it's v hard to beat when you know what you're doing and how to defend Sov, which is why I love Allied!)

I won't disagree that some maps can force turtling - just try to avoid those maps would be my advice.

I also agree - watch some top tier games of AvA and AvS and you'll probably learn a lot.

What's your usual build? Unless you're on a small map I would always build 2 miners from my warf, and build 3 refineries (can sell 1) over 2 ore patches. If it's a very large map I would go 3, slightly smaller go 1 (but then build/sell another refinery at a later point). Also micro your miners, make sure they're mining close to your refinery. Make sure they teleport to the closest refinery and don't then walk across your base back to the ore patch. Don't build across so many tabs until you have a decent cashflow (i.e. don't build tanks and men and defence and more buildings - you want to avoid hitting 0 at all times). Also if there are oils then that obviously helps too. And gems - send a miner or two to gems, even if far away, as you can teleport back. Place refineries by ore that is "below" as your miners work better from above, if possible.

That would generally be before I build an Airforce, then pump out some rocketeers/planes, and then press with rockies, paradrop, and tank split (maybe 2-3 ifvs with gi in as well). Hit and run, make Sov build sentry, distract them, take out a power, kill a miner, run back, plane a tank, etc etc. Don't let them get into your base, so you have time to build cash and then tech.

Obviously you have to react to what your opponent is doing - if you see they go straight tanks and build no miners, I would just build 1 miner then ready a pillbox, maybe airforce early and build a few gi's/dogs for fodder to help defend.

Hope that helps a bit

Also if you build an Airforce if you press with 1-3 rockies, you force them to halt tanks and build flak, or a flak cannon, or flak troopers... it all costs money for them. So you can annoy, run away, damage some tanks, etc. If they build flak traks you can plane them, go back in with rockies... or paradrop to kill them. Or use a couple ifvs to kill them/take power offline if they built a cannon.

And another point - once you've teched, spy is really underrated. If you get a spy into warf and you pump out veteran mirage/prism you have such an advantage. Or reset their radar/take money. I wouldn't usually go for a battle lab although that's what most people do! Barracks is good as well but if they build a lot of flak your rockies will become redundant (ish) so I'd concentrate on the warf personally.

Most pros played as Iraqi Soviets.

Desolators + tanks is a good combo.

Are there any YouTube videos of them using this tactic? I just can't picture how it would win unless they were rushing with this combination.

Cheers.

Guest Mechacaseal

Are there any YouTube videos of them using this tactic? I just can't picture how it would win unless they were rushing with this combination.

Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo2jT4UcRyU

apparently i was supposed to build the virus infantry for yuri faction which is a sniper unit to kill desolator from a distance. i didnt know what that unit did at the time of the match lol. kinda sad i never played ra2 much over the decades just tibsun.

Annnnnnd it sucks.

Depending on map you could go straight rhino tanks. Refinery it up  till 3. Get a radar. Sell mcv and deso/script/rhino push.

I'm an allied player thought so what do I know.

Other than the last time I played yuris on xwis I smashed one of the top guys using robot tanks/grizz/mirage muhahaha.

And Kirov is great to force your opponent to spend extra on anti air.

One Kirov will force your opponent to spend over 2k in anti air.

The trick as the opponent is to get anti air that is useful after the fact.

For example. As an allied player I may look at rockies to intercept your Kirov so later I can use them.

alternatively I could go a few ifvs. Use guardian gis. Underlay them under a Kirov and assuming I built 4 ifvs I can later use the guardian gis  for a battle fortress.

Just insight

Annnnnnd it sucks.

This is pretty much all wrong. Soviets were the favoured faction amongst the majority of pros for a reason.

try a couple of terror drones maybe (im no expert or anything but just a suggestion)

Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo2jT4UcRyU

apparently i was supposed to build the virus infantry for yuri faction which is a sniper unit to kill desolator from a distance. i didnt know what that unit did at the time of the match lol. kinda sad i never played ra2 much over the decades just tibsun.

Ty. I can see this being super effective.