Active good c&c95 players & ladder

weaveR

Hi haven't been online for a while I've been playing GTA 5 for the master race of gaming (pc) and yes I still play the classics even though my computer is good enough to run GTA 5.

Just wondering if there are many active players to play against at the moment I seem to always get new players I see Jacko and cnc2mc are still around posting on the forums I managed to have a few good games with ChemWarrior earlier today but mostly just new players who have weird build orders and abort instead of resign when they're going to lose.

ChemWarrior was good he actually rematched me heaps today rather than winning and running like a lot of people seem to do on c&c95 lol.

I see there maybe a ladder available in the future? That would be cool just like the good old westwood chat days with dialup internet games except less lag the ability to play with more people and customizable hotkeys.

I'm still around, often (but have been playing SCII lately) and I think Ferret is in from time to time. Lovehandles is around, but doesn't seem to play very much, unfortunately.

I usually use cnc95 to calm down, as SCII requires so much more multitasking that it fries my brain, somewhat.

-Liam

That's a shame cn2mc I enjoy having games with you give me a PM or something when your free next and hopefully I'll be online.

Dunno about playing White he'll probably want to play one of his maps where the path finding is fucked lol but I guess I could just play like a noob and crank the resolution up and manually guide the units but yeah Lovehandles never plays games he just spectates usually if even that.

I haven't really ever played Ferret at c&c95 I've watched him play Lovehandles once and he seemed to put up a pretty good fight I remember him copying Lovehandles build order where he builds like 10 barracks's and spams grenadiers and micros hardcore.

I'll try and remember to do that. Work-wise things should easen up for me at the start of June, but that might also mean I'll drink myself into oblivion in the park.

I've only played several games with Ferret since I came to cncnet, he can pull out a mean cheese sometimes, but that general infantry build is a huge risk and thus a bit passe.

haha, yeah, map picks are a bit 'each to their own', but I certainly like having more terrain to work with, bases that are closed, but still have more than 1 entrance, then an area which opens up a bit more, and then finally a middle area, where you're free to move around a bit and pick your fights. Open maps are... well they're open, so nothing to work with :P

Maybe I'm just getting used to StarCraft though.

-Liam

Yeah I agree doing the Lovehandles infantry build is very risky and means you really have to concentrate on what your doing it's probably why Lovehandles never plays because it's so hard to pull off and makes you feel exhausted after 1 or 2 games.

You guys should really watch how Lovehandles plays on his youtube channel I've got his channel under c&c brotherhood on my channel if your interested.

I personally like even maps like netrunners HJK6.

It's cool how people have made their own c&c95 maps because the original maps were never like that but the originals do have even maps in newer c&c games such as red alert 2 so I guess EA or Westwood thought the same thing.

I still think your maps are quite artistic White such as that pinwheel map but I just get annoyed how the units get their path finding confused when you try and tell them to move across the map I'm so used to just being able to make a bookmark on the enemys base and one on my base and being able to snap between the 2 bases with a touch of a bookmark button but yeah each to their own as you say I guess.

Indeed, the pathing is fucked. And I can see that as more of a serious issue for Nod, as it's often about quick reinforcement, hit and run strats. Without that, you've got serious problems. I just get bored using the same few units over and over, so I tried to make maps that I thought would give advantages to more units, and I think I did that... I just found out how broken some of the programming is on this old gem.

-Liam

Lol I wonder if that open RA guy is gonna butt in and try convince us to play his weird open source version of the game now that we're pointing out flaws in the programming of the original windows 95 version of the game.

I've been playing a little the last couple of nights.  I can't believe people still play 'tiberian garden.' I hate that friggin map.  Lol, people starting with 50 units, $3000 and then quitting as soon as you attack them.  And I don't mean a full on attack, but I just recon'd this guy with a couple of buggies and he resigned.  At least he didn't abort...  I (usually) fight to the last technician!

and that ladder crap? pffft... If it was that important I would just carve notches onto my belt.....

the worst ive seen lately is either 99 units and 999999 credits

or ths one guy who goes 20 units, 10k cash and then camps in his base and spams helicopters

but yeah I hate tib garden. The 2nd version is a bit better in that the left side isnt screwed, but still don't like it much

yeah I tried to polish that turd as much as possible... ha ha  Yeah I just played the original TGarden and started in the bottom left with max units... I gotta remember to look at the settings b4 I agree to start.  Next guy had all the boxes checked (sep. helipad/deployable mcv/etc.)  I just bailed outta the lobby

I still like tib garden more than HJK6 and P4 and stuff like that. Just big squares and a big patch of tib in the middle.

Pretty much 0% design phase for those maps. It's very restrictive for TD to have so much tib in the middle, like that; blocking the entire route to the enemy base. And then only having a single entrance to the base area. Makes for very restricted play on what will and wont work.

I do hope that our mappers look at all the units in the game, and when they make their maps, think about how it would make each unit more usable. Seriously, our Nod players almost never make SSM or arty and even flame tank is taking a back seat... AND FLAME TANK IS AWESOME! :D

bikes buggies, gg, lol. Makes for a sad game when you've seen it a million times. It also meas you don't have to think much about unit composition.

-Liam

I do hope that our mappers look at all the units in the game, and when they make their maps, think about how it would make each unit more usable. Seriously, our Nod players almost never make SSM or arty and even flame tank is taking a back seat... AND FLAME TANK IS AWESOME! :D

Yeah, that's something I never really took into account back when I was making MP maps.... I never realized maps like OverrunII favored Nod, because of all the grenadier killing tiberium.  Although inadvertently I guess it made SSMs and ARTYs more viable.  Live and learn! What would you say are the aspects that favor certain sides/units?

Yeah I hate when people play with noob settings I used to like it when the max amount of units was 12 and the max amount of starting money was 9999.

Had a good few games with Iran on tib garden I guess it was partially a nostalgic thing for me when I used to play on westwood chat but the southern east position definitely has an advantage there's enough room in that position to have a few refinierys right next to the middle tiberium easily.

I remember having base crawling fights they were fun but it definitely pays to be GDI being you get guard towers to easily kill infantry rather than tank killing turrents.

Another good original base crawling map was straight and narrow I used to also have SSM fights on that map there was this canadian dude I used to play on westwood chat where we would move our bases to the west side of the map and base walk and use oblisks to claim territory and have SSM fights at long range.

Never really used artillery much usually NOD vs NOD matches for me is just about spamming buggies.

dammit weaver I just missed you on cncnet.  I logged in and saw "weaveR's game," got happy and >poof< you were gone!  So I played some noobs; I even tried to go easy on them, but they all split at the first sign of their imminent doom.  I saw a guy making recon bikes, and I thought "I'll just send like 15 grenadiers to his base and teach him how this works." (even though at that point I had like 20 medium tanks)  Killed his bikes, killed a pplant but purposely left his conyard there just to be nice.. MF'er left the game!  I just don't get it... If I had that attitude, I would've left permanently the first time Ustas ever apc rushed me..... Shit, I remember how pissed off I got!  But no, I kept coming back determined to crush him. And after a while, I did.. every time... WTF?! I just don't get the psychology behind it... it's not just one player, it seems to be all of them! I mean for chrissakes, I'm RUSTY!! and I go easy on them?!?  What do I have to do?  Make up a fake name and lose on purpose to grow our player base?

EDIT: Right after posting this I did play a noob named lazarus who honorably lost.  It was a decent game and he gracefully took my advice about needing more refineries.  Then, of course I played 'Bob' and whooped his ass at a >laugh< tech level 3 game.  Second game I was stomping him and he aborted... sigh... Weird though, at tech level 3 you get bikes but no buggies! I mean WTF is that?

Yeah, this is why I wanted to make cnc tutorial vids, but have had a lot of trouble getting to record. Maybe I should just buy bandicam?

You should, it records TD very well and the sounds have more bass which amplifies the explosions

Haha yeah I remember the screen shake I think it got removed because it caused disconnections I've heard.

Had a few good games tonight good to see Matt, White and Chem just about to play bob lol apparently he lags.