I'm back

SoftLadSTEJ

Lurker's asked me to come back, so I have. ;*D And because we've moved away from Strike-Team which seemed to be wreaking havoc with my Internet connection, that's made it possible for me to come back!!!!!! Of course, I can't guarantee I'll be able to play TS, because when I was talking to Lurker, I forgot to mention how my laptop/connection have been painfully slow for months now!!!!!!!! ;*( Even when playing FaceBook Tetris, I've been losing lots of games because the pieces have been falling in places I haven't wanted them to because of my lag!!!!!!! ;*( I've tried virus scans and ad aware scans, and sometimes they've had temporary beneficial effects, but usually my laptop slows up again after a few days!!!!!1 ;*( Maybe it's just age, and three years is "old" for a laptop, and I need to replace it, but it was a decent model for its time, and the hard drive isn't anywhere near being full I don't think, so I'm hoping it isn't that!!!!!!!! Also bear in mind I used to leave it switched on at the wall socket for months and months at a time, even though I'd switch the actual machine off, so I'm wondering if maybe that's caused some inner deterioration to the workings of the laptop????? But I've been switching it off at the wall more regularly now, so I was hoping that might be able to reverse any damage incurred!!!!! But all in all, sometimes I feel like I might end up putting up with this slowness on this laptop for the rest of its lifetime!!!!!! And if it lags on FaceBook Tetris, I've no idea how it'll perform on TS!!!!!!!!! ;*(

Hey, make sure its your internet connection and do a speed test. http://www.speedtest.net/

Thanks for that!!!!!! ;*D It was kinda fun. ;*D It said my ping was 10ms, my download speed was 25.93mbps, and my upload speed was 3.05mbps!!!!! I don't know if that's good or bad!!!!! Another thing that seems to happen quite often is that it'll say at the top of my Chrome browser that there's some kind of issue with the Shockwave Flash plugin, and yet all the times I've looked into the manner in the Chrome:plugins list, I've never been able to fix the problem!!!!! I've heard this kind of thing is common with Chrome because it has a built in shockwave Flash plugin which can conflict with any installed ones, and that it can be fixed by disabling one of them, but that never really worked for me, either!!!!!! ;*( There'd be temporary improvements, but then it'd start slowing down again!!!!!! ;*( And sometimes I've wondered if it's the Internet that's slow for me, because it seemed to slow down rather suddenly when we changed or Internet box!!!!!!

Looks like your interent is fine, chrome crashing could be a sign you've got too many system processes running, stuff like Skype, even just a lot of chrome tabs running in the background.

How long does your PC take to load up? What PC specs do you have? How much ram?  Uninstalling some programmes that hog a lot of system memory might be a good start. You can find which ones hog it by doing Ctrl+ alt + del, task manager, and filter the list by clicking Memory size. 

Looks like your interent is fine, chrome crashing could be a sign you've got too many system processes running, stuff like Skype, even just a lot of chrome tabs running in the background.

How long does your PC take to load up? What PC specs do you have? How much ram?  Uninstalling some programmes that hog a lot of system memory might be a good start. You can find which ones hog it by doing Ctrl+ alt + del, task manager, and filter the list by clicking Memory size.

Interestingly enough, I used to have lots of problems with Skype!!!!! Turning it off could be nightmarish the way how it would freeze when I was trying to shut it down!!!!!!1 ;*( It got so bad that I don't use Skype unless someone wants me to go on it now!!!!! I prefer to use FaceBook and Steam as messengers!!!!!!!

I looked at my task manager just then, and there was about 30 items on the list!!!!! Several of the Google Chrome entries looked like repeat entries since they seemed kind of similar, but part of me wonders if they're still necessary, and that some fatal error will occur if I tamper with them!!!! ;*( I'm always fearful of removing things from lists like that in case I lose Windows forever!!!!!! ;*( I know you REALLY SHOULDN'T shut down Explorer.exe I think, but I'm wondering if there's others that should NEVER be shut down!!!!!!!

At a guess, I'd say it takes my laptop 60 seconds to start up, or maybe 90 if I was to err on the side of caution!!!! This is just a guess though, and I'll try to remember to be more observant in regards to the speed next time I start it up!!!!!! There's 6.00GB of RAM with 2.00GB being usable, and it has a 1.70GHZ processor!!!!!!1

Also, general, physical cleanup of the PC is good too, i. e. blowing the dust out of the cooling fans, as overheating can cause a lot of problems for the processor. The coming summer reminds me I have to do that too.

EDIT: Skype is a huge memory hog and a failed client, IMO. Don't use it. Multiple chrome instances are normal. When looking through Task Manager, just look at the CPU usage. Eliminate all the hogs you can eliminate without consequences, and if you have doubts about a process, just run a google search with the eaxct name to see what it is (there are a few pretty trustworthy file-description websites out there).

sure they let you reinstall windows 7

if you have a laptop you probably have a restore partition

and/or it came with  or let you make restore discs

back you your stuff !!

search for

restore (your make of laptop) laptop

then do the updates...

problems like facebook tetris and 3 years old make me think restoring it would help a lot......

best of luck and

welcome back!

Amokk

A+ certified

Network+ certified

over 25 years experience as a tech.

I have about 6-7 Chrome.exe duplicates running in the processes list, and I'm wondering if that's the problem, since they use the most amount of memory out of all the items on the list!!!!!!!! Is it okay to stop those from running?????/ ;*O

Also, general, physical cleanup of the PC is good too, i. e. blowing the dust out of the cooling fans, as overheating can cause a lot of problems for the processor. The coming summer reminds me I have to do that too.

EDIT: Skype is a huge memory hog and a failed client, IMO. Don't use it. Multiple chrome instances are normal. When looking through Task Manager, just look at the CPU usage. Eliminate all the hogs you can eliminate without consequences, and if you have doubts about a process, just run a google search with the eaxct name to see what it is (there are a few pretty trustworthy file-description websites out there).

Thanks!!!!!! ;*D Do you have to take apart a laptop in order to clean the fans????? After all, I heard of someone in a YouTube video taking his laptop apart to clean his fan which was deep inside, and finding a TON of dust covering it!!!!!!!

sure they let you reinstall windows 7

if you have a laptop you probably have a restore partition

and/or it came with  or let you make restore discs

back you your stuff !!

search for

restore (your make of laptop) laptop

then do the updates...

problems like facebook tetris and 3 years old make me think restoring it would help a lot......

best of luck and

welcome back!

Amokk

A+ certified

Network+ certified

over 25 years experience as a tech.

Thanks a lot!!!!!! ;*D I'll try reinstalling/system restoring as a last resort, though!!!!!!! It seems like a long, daunting task, and a big upheaval!!!!!!! ;*( I heard dabbling in partitions is excessively complicated, and can be dangerous to one's PC, also!!!!!!! ;*(

SoftLad, i agree with everyone else.

If you can find yourself a copy of Window's 7 i would definitely reinstall.  Use the serial key that is located on the bottom of your laptop. If you really have 6gigs of ram, you have a top notch laptop. Do you know the exact model of the laptop?

I also recommend you switching to SSD if you plan on reinstalling your pc.

It's worth the investment and it's fairly cheap now.

• 2 weeks later...

SoftLad, i agree with everyone else.

If you can find yourself a copy of Window's 7 i would definitely reinstall.  Use the serial key that is located on the bottom of your laptop. If you really have 6gigs of ram, you have a top notch laptop. Do you know the exact model of the laptop?

I also recommend you switching to SSD if you plan on reinstalling your pc.

It's worth the investment and it's fairly cheap now.

What's SSD???????!!!!!!! ;*O My laptop's a HP Pavilion dv6!!!!!!!!!! It cost about £500 or so back in 2012, and given the fact that the best gaming laptops can be over £1,000, it makes me wonder if maybe I was looking in the wrong field when I said 6GB of RAM!!!!! It can all be very confusing!!! ;*( And thanks for the advice!!!!!!!!! ;*D It's been faster in general now I've started with Firefox instead of Chrome, but it's still not perfect!!!!!! So now I'm just hoping maybe ad aware scans will keep it fast from now on!!!!!! ;*D

SSD = Solid State Drive. The new generation hard disks without spinning parts; basically something between RAM memory and the kind of flash memory used in USB drives. These disks are lightning fast. Boots up your PC in literally a couple of seconds.

SSD = Solid State Drive. The new generation hard disks without spinning parts; basically something between RAM memory and the kind of flash memory used in USB drives. These disks are lightning fast. Boots up your PC in literally a couple of seconds.

Sounds amazing, thanks!!!!!!! ;*D If my PC started in a couple of seconds, I'd be getting paranoid, thinking I'd accidentally left it on all night. ;*(

I'd be getting paranoid, thinking I'd accidentally left it on all night. ;*(

Which is a problem... how?

I'm pretty sure leaving my bedroom desktop PC on for months at a time is what reduced it to the state it is now, where it takes several attempts to start up. ;*( I never even turn it on anymore, because I'm convinced pressing the POWER ON button several times fruitlessly is even more detrimental to its health!!!!!!!

l

I'm pretty sure leaving my bedroom desktop PC on for months at a time is what reduced it to the state it is now, where it takes several attempts to start up. ;*( I never even turn it on anymore, because I'm convinced pressing the POWER ON button several times fruitlessly is even more detrimental to its health!!!!!!!

Nah, that shouldn't be a problem. I had a desktop PC that literally ran for years without me shutting it down and with no problems. And it wasn't getting to sleep much either, while I was sleeping, it was blasting music...

l

Nah, that shouldn't be a problem. I had a desktop PC that literally ran for years without me shutting it down and with no problems. And it wasn't getting to sleep much either, while I was sleeping, it was blasting music...

Well, I did restart it lots and lots on certain days because of my OCD, but I didn't think I did it that much to cause such problems to it!!!!!!

Hmmmm... I always figured leaving it on was bad purely for the mechanical parts inside wearing out (the fans.) I recently restored my main pc and right before doing so,I lightly hit it with my air compressor and a "comically huge cloud of dust" came out.  Maybe that's just because I live in a desert environment, but I figure stuff like that has got to wear it out over time.  Interesting subject to me... I'm also a pretty paranoid guy so I don't like leaving it on for North Korean hackers to steal all of my c&c creations while I'm sleeping and my computer isn't! ;)

start run type msconfig and click on start up tab and disable everything then reboot. see if that helps.

Thanks, but I worry I'll disable the wrong things, and then it'll never start Windows again!!!!!! ;*( Sometimes I wonder if it's a problem with Shockwave causing it all, because sometimes when my browsers are going slowly, it'll say there's problems with Adobe Shockwave!!!!!! I heard that with Google Chrome, it has an integrated Flash app, so any others that get installed become embroiled in conflicts with it, and cause turmoil on one's computer that way!!!!!! So I tried removing all but one of the Shockwave things once, and while it made a temporary improvement, it soon started going slow again. ;*( Switching over to Firefox has improved things somewhat, but I still get the Shockwave problems sometimes!!!!!!! I'm thinking that maybe if these problems are just confined to browsing the Internet though, then hopefully I should still be able to play TS!!!!!!!! ;*D Seeing videos of Caseal playing on YouTube have made me want to play again. ;*P Is there no tournament ladder, though? ;*(