Tiberian Sun Activity

FunkyFr3sh

Yesterday TRZ was sending me a message and told me the player count of tiberian sun on cncnet would be very low, much lower than it ever was on any other servers. I actually had a totally different impression since the numbers were going up slowly non-stop ever since we added support of tiberian sun to cncnet 5. Currenlty there are around 80 players online every evening at peak, is that really a all time low compared to the last 10years?

He said the main reason for that is that the lobby shows the name history of players and therfore players are unabled to go undercover and hide under different names. People would refuse to play with him since he is too good and they claim they would lose anyways so it is pointless to play. According to him the activity would be much higher if he and all the other old school players could go undercover with ease.

Would be nice to hear some more opinions from other old school players about this! So please post in here and debate, should the name history be removed to make it easy to hide?

The main reason why this name history was added was because we had the problem on red alert 1 that almost every old school player was going undercover using different names, it became really hard to find a single decent game since no one knew who is good and who is a new players. People have been waiting all day long to get a game since it was impossible to find other good players with their unknown names even if there were around 80 players online back then just like it is on Tiberian Sun right now. Some players also changed their name just to play against someone they knew well just to get an unfair advantage by knowing their strategies and weakness while the other player had no info against who he is playing and what he has to expect.

For red alert 1 the name hiding was really bad for the activity and some players even quit because of it... I don't want this to happen for Tiberian Sun too, but if you guys all agree with what TRZ said and you want to get rid of the name history then i'm going to remove it

Yeah, that's the only reason for namehiding I can think of... And if it really is the case, why would someone even want to play guys who are so below his level that they're afraid of him? Would those players really be fun to play or pose any challenge whatsoever?

We are entering the exam season and summer is upon many of us so I would expect activity to be lower than it has been. I have no problem with name hiding but I doubt it would increase activity. I know this maybe going over old ground but a ladder (Clan, 1v1, either or both) would have a dramatic and positive impact on actvity.

Stefor, I don't know how you can critique someone for never saying anything positive to you when you used to troll the whole TS/RA2 communities by mapping openly in games, making videos of you doing so, and even giving people links to download the mapper, encouraging them to use it, too!!!!!!!!!1 ;*) And then there's all your troublemaking on YouTube, trying to make all women out to be heartless abusers of men alongside the MGTOW community!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;*) At least TRZ has dated women before!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;*)

Oh yeah Stefor, and lets not forget the times when I'd be 1v1ing you, just concentrating on the game, and you'd be typing insults to me, and generally harassing me!!!!!!!!!! ;*) It could be argued that you were trying to gain an unfair competitive advantage over me in the games by trying to upset me with your insults!!!!!!!!!!! After all, it's hard to micro-manage units when your vision is obscured by tears!!!!!!!!!!!! ;*( And yet in your YouTube videos now, you try to play the victim card when someone brings psychological warfare into the 1v1s!!!!!!!!!!! ;*)

Please make him stop swearing at me, moderators!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;*( Can we implement a system that will replace swearwords with less abrasive words???????????!!!!!!!!!! ;*D For instance, the f-word could be replaced with "FRIVOLOUSFLUFFYBUNNIES!!!!!!!!!!!" ;*D And the s-word could be replaced with "SERENESUMMERMEADOWSONJUPITERSSOVEREIGNSOIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!" ;*D

Please noooo....

That is such a great feature of Cncnet.

less playing overall because they know who the good players are is a laughable pretense for removing that feature

I would expect it to help people play with those that they would enjoy playing with and avoid those they would not enjoy playing with.

Knowing who you would not want to play with is useful

take trz, not letting him name hide lets those who don't want to play with him for whatever reason, too good or jerk, not.  it  lets people keep playing while avoiding him but if he can just change his nick  he would be able to frustrate repeatedly, not just till one figures out they won't want to play with him. or anyone else for any other reason.

It would empower the jerks and allow so much more bs if you remove that feature

Knowing who the jerks are lets one avoid the hassle. letting them be anonymous again would cause much grief which I would expect to cause less playing

I check all the time.  and avoid the troublemakers.

I know who causes problems, cheats, breaks room rules quits and annoys, and being able to avoid them makes for a more enjoyable experience.  let them have to deal with their past behavior and not be able to evade their reputation.

Isn't it already hard enough to deal with the troublemakers?? 

Please, Please NO !!

Amokk, playing since 2nd week ts came out

avoiding the jerks since the 2nd week it came out..

thanks for making that easier !!

i didnt say this was the main reason. i said that its a two fold thing, that all of the noobs get banned because people know they are noob, and the elite players cant get games because you hear things like "id lose, no point" namehiding or smurfing was a part of ts forever.

there isnt even a ladder at the moment, or cheating, so its not like someone would be doing it to win some prize, or dodge a ban.

and the mere fact mechaesael aka fake stefor would comment on anyone being a douchebag is hilarious. nobody respects or plays with or likes him. lol hes a forum troll and a total nutball.

anyway, cncnet definitely has the lowest activity of any server, including xwis. there isnt a ladder, and people arent able to smurf as they always could, to get games either as noobs or as pros.

people arent able to smurf as they always could, to get games either as noobs or as pros.

One of the things that I like best about Cncnet !!!

I agree. This was one of the great features I like here about CNC net. I vote do NOT take it off! 

Choosing RANDOM faction on TS is good enough.

amokk ive never seen you in a decent game, and i believe thats because people ban you. or youre playing mods. which none of this really matters for. if you could make a smurf name perhaps we wouldnt ban u

still bothersome I see.....haven't missed you one bit !

you haven't seen me in a game for many years because I avoid you.(not because you are too good..) and I play mods..I don't get banned much at all..do you?

knowing what an enjoyable person you are has helped me not be bothered by you for years!

If I were a smurf it would definitely be Handy Smurf

you are Richard Smurf right?

Name hiding was one of the most annoying aspects of TS and I really don't want to see it happen again. How about instead of removing this great feature we have now, we move towards a quick match system like a lot of other games have.

I was against a quick match system due to the few individuals that play TS; however, it could be beneficial to getting games quicker and avoiding/dodging.

I am going to continue to ban newbs that join my game as the game will be ruined amongst the other pros. The only thing that is going to happen with an ability to name hide, is more 'pros' are going to get accidentally banned when joining games...then that typical message to the game host "I'm pro, I'm oldschool, I just started playing again"...blah blah thus slowing the activity more. Ultimately, without a ranking system, these are the complications we are going to deal with. That's the reality.

you're too newb so you can't get any games? too bad, get better

you're too good so you can't get any games? This happens to like 3 people and benefiting 3 people at the expense of the other hundreds of TS players seems illogical and unfair. Start rallying for a quick match ranking system instead

you guys and your inability to realize whats good for competitive games, astounds me. first yalls mob mentality with 6-8 patch coming about, then mods on the xwis ladder, now no smurfing, an institutional part of ts, and any competitive game.

done with u all.

you guys and your inability to realize whats good for competitive games, astounds me. first yalls mob mentality with 6-8 patch coming about, then mods on the xwis ladder, now no smurfing, an institutional part of ts, and any competitive game.

done with u all. 

PROMISE?

(amokk dances a little jig of joy)