Introducing AudioSet

Blade

Recently there has been some discussion regarding if TD and RA support stereo audio, but the discussion was somewhat moot as there were no encoders that could encode stereo aud files. Enter AudioSet, a very simple wave to aud file encoder that will convert stereo wave files to the stereo aud format that TD and RA can handle. It will also convert mono as normal. Waves must be saved in the standard microsoft wave riff format and be 16bit.

The tool requires you to pass the filename WITHOUT the .wav extension. It will load the wav file and write out the aud file using the same filename. Included is an untested batch file that should let you process a directory. You will need to edit it to tell it where you have saved audioset.exe and run it with the path you want to scan for wav files to convert as the argument.

audioset.7z

Thanks, I am currently messing around with it!  I cannot seem to get the batch file to work, however.  No matter where I put the .exe file, it says "The full path of  is too long". 

I edited the batch file to look like this:

@echo off

SET audioset=c:\RedAlert\HQRA\audioset.exe

for /R "%1" %%f in (*.wav) do (

%audioset% "%%~df%%~pf%%~nf"

)

But it displays that error when I run it.  I'm not good at advanced batch editing; only basic stuff.

I'll download it and take a look at it in a hex editor later and see why it isn't liking it. The tool is pretty picky about the format of the header, some tools save in rf64 format which isn't supported for example.

The tool only supports Microsoft signed 16-bit PCM.

To save as MS WAV :

• In Audacity pick WAV (Microsoft) signed 16-bit PCM
  • In Adobe Audition pick libsndfile as format and from there select Waveform audio.strangely that's what Adobe calls MS WAV. Make sure to uncheck "Include markers and other metadata" because the tool doesn't support that data.

Pretty sure all audio tools should have option to save as MS Wav

The tool only supports Microsoft signed 16-bit PCM.

To save as MS WAV :

• In Audacity pick WAV (Microsoft) signed 16-bit PCM
  • In Adobe Audition pick libsndfile as format and from there select Waveform audio.strangely that's what Adobe calls MS WAV. Make sure to uncheck "Include markers and other metadata" because the tool doesn't support that data.

Pretty sure all audio tools should have option to save as MS Wav

If I convert all these WAV files to "Microsoft signed" files, will they lose quality in the conversion process?  I don't want to convert these files too many times, or they might start sounding bad.

If I convert all these WAV files to "Microsoft signed" files, will they lose quality in the conversion process?  I don't want to convert these files too many times, or they might start sounding bad.

It's not "Microsoft signed" its Microsoft WAV.It's just a format that the file is saved as, it doesn't alter the quality. Signed and Unsigned is simply ways of storing the data.

Unless you go from floating point to 16-bit no, PCM is lossless.

ADPCM isn't.

Worth mentioning that all music CDs have PCM 44100 hz 16-bit audio on them, you can't store higher quality audio on the CDs.

Here is the Microsoft WAV version (link below).  Once again, I opened the first version I uploaded in Audacity 1.3.14-beta, and clicked export.  I selected WAV (Microsoft) Signed 16-bit PCM.  The file was still not recognized, so I guess the "fact chunk" was not removed by Audacity in this export process.

The strange part is that I used a generic WAV converter when I first created these WAV files, so there should be no "fact chunk".  Some of these WAV files are recognized by Audioset, while others are not.  All of them were converted using the same program.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/28cjnf029c98o6f/vector1aSIGNED.zip

Edit: To eliminate all possibilities, I decided to install the latest version of Audacity, 2.1.1, but the results were the same. The version of Audacity is not the issue, in case anyone is wondering.

Weird, that file converted for me.

Are you running a 32 bit OS or a 64 bit OS?

Windows 7 64-bit.

Did you convert the file using the same method I did, with the export button?

There is no other. I used your file you linked above and it flat out worked.

Could be some sort of a 64-bit issue maybe.

I'm on 32-bit Win 7

Audacity imports all settings when you import a file. Try to create a completely new file instead.

Play your file with Winamp (or whatelse you use), record the audio signal via audacity (stereo-mix) and save it as .wav with the settings you need.

Audacity imports all settings when you import a file. Try to create a completely new file instead.

Play your file with Winamp (or whatelse you use), record the audio signal via audacity (stereo-mix) and save it as .wav with the settings you need.

This method is not an option, because it would take hours to convert all the files that Audioset doesn't read.  Also, I'm sure this method would reduce the quality of the files.  There must be another way.

Well, this is strange.  I compiled a list.txt as Nyergud's suggested in the other thread, converted ALL my WAV files to Microsoft WAV using Audacity, and ran a batch file for all the WAV files at the same time.  Mysteriously, they all converted!  Even Vector1a was converted. I have no idea what was going on before...  It was previously telling me they weren't valid files.    :O

Anyway, I am currently working on a high quality Red Alert Stereo soundtrack!

Anyway, I am currently working on a high quality Red Alert Stereo soundtrack!

Oh. My. God! That would be beyond awesome!

It's already released:

http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=4395.0

Does nobody check the Red Alert forums?  I'm getting very few comments, and I thought people would be excited about a new high quality in-game soundtrack.  O_o

I was playing a game with all my new Stereo tracks, and noticed that for some reason the score screen after beating a level has horrible static sounds.  The main menu also has a hint of this problem when you load a game or start a new game.  These static clicking sounds were not around with Mono tracks.  Also, the Stereo tracks work perfectly during actual game play.  It's only in the menu or score screens that the distortion occurs.  This happens in both Red Alert and Tiberian Dawn.  Any ideas?

Could be that the audio engine gets set up slightly differently for those instances for some reason. Other that that I don't know, it would require a deeper understanding of how the games load and process audio.

Well, unless someone knows a fix, I guess I am going to have to use Mono tracks for the menu and victory themes.

What happened to Iran, btw?  I sent him a PM and asked a few questions on these forums, but there has been no response from him.

Could be that the audio engine gets set up slightly differently for those instances for some reason. Other that that I don't know, it would require a deeper understanding of how the games load and process audio.

Well, unless someone knows a fix, I guess I am going to have to use Mono tracks for the menu and victory themes.

What happened to Iran, btw?  I sent him a PM and asked a few questions on these forums, but there has been no response from him.

I don't seem to get these issues, just some clicking and popping in the score screen which is related to the known freeze at scorescreen for no apparent reason bug.

I doubt there were easy to afford sound cards in 199X that could support such audio as RA did, doubt Westwood did extensive testing, its a miracle the audio engine is so advanced. Tbh asking for 48000 is just way too much, especially if you use 44100 tracks upsampled to 48000 which just adds a load of empty space in the track past the 44.1K mark.

Try 44100 Hz before you resort to Mono.

To celebrate AudioSet release here's a new smiley  :heady: