Dune Legacy without black borders?

TaxOwlbear

I tried the Dune Legacy mod (which makes Dune II playable under modern OSs without DOSbox and adds a bunch of features). It works flawlessly, but for some reason, the game adds black borders to the edge of the screen. It's not that much of an issue, but I would like to get rid of them. Any ideas how to do that?

Dune Legacy is not a Dune 2 mod it's a Dune 2 clone.

I have only tried Dune Dynasty http://dunedynasty.sourceforge.net/ it is based on OpenDune a reverse engineered recreation of Dune 2. Dynasty ads things like multiple unit select and things like that and supports sound packs or MIDI but is otherwise faithful to the original game, even uses the original files. :)

Dune 2 The Maker is pretty cool too with higher res graphics and fancy explosions it is yet another clone though not reverse engineering the game.

Whoa what a coincidence, I just played Dune Legacy and completed the Atreides campaign yesterday after coming across Frank Herbert's book... no bs! I even changed my wallpaper

Dune%20desktop%20wallpaper.jpg

But anyway, I'm not sure how or why you've got black borders in your game, but I'm guessing it's due to a screen size issue; maybe the screen resolution you chose isn't the same dimensions as your screen? I don't know, but here's my screen settings:

800x600

Zoomlevel x2

Scale2x

Full Screen

Double Buffering

Also, I have a 1920x1080 monitor.

Dynasty ads things like multiple unit select and things like that and supports sound packs or MIDI but is otherwise faithful to the original game, even uses the original files. :)

Dune 2 The Maker is pretty cool too with higher res graphics and fancy explosions it is yet another clone though not reverse engineering the game.

Dune Legacy also allows multiple unit selection, as well as grouping units into numbers, multiplayer support (online or vs AI) with different match options, custom maps, map editor, replay recording and several other neat features. Dune Dynasty allows you to zoom in and out during matches and also allows for the right mouse buttong to scroll around, and maybe other features that Legacy does not have, but overall, Dune Legacy has far more features than Dune Dynasty.

Dune 2 The Maker isn't complete (and probably never will be afaik). All I can really remember about it is that I never liked the new look compared to the original.

Dune The Golden Path is another notable Dune project, but only supports multiplayer (online and vs AI). It still gets updated from time to time and last time I checked (about 2 years ago) had an active online community.

(Sorry, I got a little carried away with my response :D, I used to be a big fan that's all).

Dune Legacy is not a Dune 2 mod it's a Dune 2 clone.

I have only tried Dune Dynasty http://dunedynasty.sourceforge.net/ it is based on OpenDune a reverse engineered recreation of Dune 2. Dynasty ads things like multiple unit select and things like that and supports sound packs or MIDI but is otherwise faithful to the original game, even uses the original files. :)

I chose Legacy for the addition features. It also uses the original game files, so I consider it a mod.

But anyway, I'm not sure how or why you've got black borders in your game, but I'm guessing it's due to a screen size issue; maybe the screen resolution you chose isn't the same dimensions as your screen? I don't know, but here's my screen settings:

800x600

Zoomlevel x2

Scale2x

Full Screen

Double Buffering

Also, I have a 1920x1080 monitor.

Uncanny coincidence!

Anyway, if I run the game in 1152x648 on my 1920x1080 monitor, I have black borders. These are smaller than the area left by displaying 1152x64 pixels on a HD monitor, so it's not like that the game just fills the rest of the screen with black. Only if I run the game in 1920x1080 I get no borders.

Dune Legacy also allows multiple unit selection, as well as grouping units into numbers, multiplayer support (online or vs AI) with different match options, custom maps, map editor, replay recording and several other neat features. Dune Dynasty allows you to zoom in and out during matches and also allows for the right mouse buttong to scroll around, and maybe other features that Legacy does not have, but overall, Dune Legacy has far more features than Dune Dynasty.

Sure. But unlike Dynasty, it's not actually the original Dune II game. It's like playing OpenRA to play RA1 in higher resolution, compared to the RA1 version we use around here with hi-res patched in ;)

• 1 month later...

That should just be an option in the config file... window_mode I think. Note that there are two ways of playing full screen; "fullscreenwindow" and normal "fullscreen". IIRC, "fullscreenwindow" makes the game use your desktop resolution and ignores any resolution settings set in the program.