Why are Yuris not allowed in online games?

Badname

Hello guys!

Im new to this fantastic community since I downloaded the game just yesterday and intermediately rushed to play online.

What surprised me when I first logged in is the rejection to Yuri in most of games. This got me curious and I found something very interesting I wanted to share with you.

When you entered the realm of Yuri's Revenge online, you were probably surprised to learn, perhaps the hard way, that Yuri is not allowed in most games. You may have asked, "What's the point of having Yuri's Revenge if you won't allow him?" That would be a valid question. Well, I have the answer for you here, although many people online may not know the exact reason. To put it simply, Yuri is too strong. His army and especially his navy are not balanced with the Allied and Soviet factions.

Whereas the Allied and Soviet factions rely on massing one or a few types of units, Yuri relies on a mix of units. Each unit in the mix does something exceptionally well, and they all cover the weaknesses of the other units. So, Yuri cannot mass units, and that may sound like an advantage for Soviet and especially Allied forces, it certainly is not. And the reason is one key unit. Here I will give a breakdown of each unit Yuri possesses in his arsenal. After reading this you may never want Yuri in your games. That is not what I am trying to do here, but it is my goal to inform.

Yuri's Infantry

Initiate- The initiate is the best basic infantryman amongst the three sides. Although I do not know exact numbers, I do know that initiates are the strongest damagewise, being stronger than conscripts and GIs. This is combined with the fact that they are the same price as GIs.

Brute- No imbalance here. Used as a scout, fodder unit, and tank killer. Although the brute scares dogs, regenerates health, and dismantles tanks, he is incredibly slow and can only melee attack. Easy to avoid.

Engineer- No imbalance here. Same as Allied and Soviet engineers.

Yuri Clone- No imbalance here. Yuri clones are rarely made. They can make early attacks impossible, but a good Yuri player will not need them.

Virus- Virii are very good units. While I would not call them imbalanced, they are very strong against infantry. They kill infantry better than a British sniper, and are available at midgame. But they are slightly more expensive to make up for this. Yuri players will sometimes use a virus to kill an enemy deso melting his slaves. The virus will die too.

Yuri Prime- This guy is very powerful, but more in an icing on the cake kind of way. He has long range mind control abilities, and can take over most buildings and structures. This makes him very powerful. He also has his psy wave which pretty much owns infantry, but that ability is irrelevant. His range and structure-seizing ability make him good, but I wouldn't say imbalanced.

Yuri Vehicles

Lasher Tank- Lasher tanks are comparable to grizzlies. However they are slightly better than grizzlies due to the fact that their projectiles travel faster, making them more accurate. Not imbalanced.

Gattling Tank- This unit is extremely imbalanced. It has an amazing rate of fire, but even better accuracy. This is unlike flak which is inaccurate with a fast rate of fire. It is pretty fast, and has good armor for an AA vehicle. A Korean black eagle can kill an IFV and flak track with one missile, but a Gattling Tank takes two. To make things worse, the longer it fires, the more damage it does! If that wasn't enough imbalance, it costs the same amount as an IFV, despite being a far superior unit. It can also fire on the move, unlike ifvs or flaks. Very unbalanced unit.

Chaos Drone- These units are more annoying than anything to enemy players. If anything, it is an underpowered unit. All it can do is make enemy units go berserk, attacking their creators vigorously. It has weak armor and not very fast, with no kind of protection. Combined with the insane price of 1000 credits you may wonder why anyone would build such a terrible unit. Turns out the drone has one use. If an Iraqi enemy is melting your slaves, the drone can go through the radiation without dying. However, the chaos drone can be droned by a terror drone, so it is still very limited in its application.

Magnetron- This is the key unit Yuri possesses. This unit is very imbalanced. Magnetrons make up for Yuri's inability to mass units. It does this by decentralizing a centralized group of units, and disrupting an enemy force. It can also kill tanks by dropping them on cliffs, onto other tanks, and onto buildings. This will severely damage the building by the way. If that was not bad enough, mags can juggle units keeping them frozen and allowing his comrades to still take shots at you. One mag can juggle 2-3 units and that is if the juggling is being controlled manually. There is an exploit to where the unit will do it on its own. Mags aren't cheap, and can be melted by desos. Chances are though, that you will not get close enough to the mag with a deso. Extremely imbalanced unit. Logically flawed from top to bottom.

Mastermind- Masterminds are like 3 yuri clones on wheels. They are very expensive and slow moving. However, if used correctly, can really win the game for Yuri. After a mastermind mind controls more than 3 units, it will start to lose life. The rate at which this happens increases drastically depending on the amount of units it has. Not imbalanced.

Floating Disk- Disks are extremely powerful units. They have decent armor, move at a decent speed, have a good amount of attack power, and can wreak havoc on enemy structures via sabotage. Put them over a power source, and they drain ALL the power that player has. Put them over a power supplied defense structure such as a tesla coil or patriot missile, it will shut it down. If a disk is over a refinery, it will drain money from it! To make matters even worse, disks can regenerate health like an apocalypse. Many Yuri players will mass these in the late game, combines with mags and gats on the ground. Imbalanced but not terribly imbalanced.

Yuri Navy

Hover Transport- Same as Allied and Soviet counterparts.

Boomer Sub- This is perhaps the most imbalanced unit in the game. This monstrosity is available at midgame tech level, but can appear at 3 mins into the game. It is stealthed, meaning it is impossible to detect. Then, it will start to blast away at your base. Nothing that can be done about it without spending much more than the Yuri player did on the boomer and sub pen. Uber imbalanced.

As you can see, imbalances are rampant in Yuri's army. But wait, the imbalances do not end there. Yuri has some imbalanced structures that make him even more difficult to defeat.

Bio Reactor- Yuri can power his whole base that has both superweapons with two fully loaded bio reactors. This may be more expensive, but Yuri has the best economy and it allows him to build other buildings instead of more reactors.

Slave Miner- Definition of imbalance. Since slave miners are mobile, Yuri players do not need to stretch to ore patches. This give him more time to micro his units. Although slaves are vulnerable, the slave miner can protect itself with its light machine gun. The slaves regenerate for free quickly anyway. The slave miner is also immune to radiation and terror drones. Adding more imbalance to the equation is the insane amount of health and armor they have. They make great late game fodder units. Imbalance if there ever was one.

Psychic Radar- Not too bad but it does tell where the enemy is going if they are in range. Not too much of an issue but can definately ruin a lot of well-planned, well-timed, and otherwise well-executed sneak attacks.

Grinder- The grinder itself is not imbalanced, just the way it is implemented. It gives a full refund for any mechanical unit put in there, and half a refund for organic units.

Genetic Mutator- Not imbalanced logically, but it is used in an exploitative way. Yuri players will group their miners together, let the slaves gather ore, and fire the mutator on them. All of those slaves just went from free units to $600 units. They then all go to the grinder. Suppose you had 5 slave miners. With 5 slaves per miner, you are looking at 25 slaves. Say the Yuri player fires the mutator and it only mutates 20 slaves. That is 600 X 20 = 12000/2 = 6000 credits worth going into the grinder. 6000 additional credits every five minutes is ridiculous. Then, the slaves will regenerate once again and gather ore on top of that. Rest my case.

Psychic Dominator- This weapon is imbalanced because it cannot be force shielded and it can mind control some units. Imbalanced.

You still may think that you can still beat a Yuri player that has the same amount of skill as you. You simply cannot beat his mix of units. 5 lone mags are one thing, but when you are up against 2 mags, 5 gats, 1 mastermind, 6 lashers, and 5+ disks, tell me how to counter that. That is $18700 worth of units. 20 rhinos would not beat that. 20 rhinos is equivalent to 18000 credits. Hell, 25 rhinos would not win.

In conclusion, Yuri not balanced with the other sides. It is pretty tough to balance massing factions with a mixing faction, but we all know it could have been done better than this. So, in the mean time, learn Allies and Soviet until I release a guide on how to beat Yuri as Soviet.

Source: http://cc-angelsofjustice.userboard.net/t11-yuri-and-why-he-is-overpowered

Credits to Osiris88 for this amazing analysis.

See you in game!

Hello guys!

Im new to this fantastic community since I downloaded the game just yesterday and intermediately rushed to play online.

What surprised me when I first logged in is the rejection to Yuri in most of games. This got me curious and I found something very interesting I wanted to share with you.

When you entered the realm of Yuri's Revenge online, you were probably surprised to learn, perhaps the hard way, that Yuri is not allowed in most games. You may have asked, "What's the point of having Yuri's Revenge if you won't allow him?" That would be a valid question. Well, I have the answer for you here, although many people online may not know the exact reason. To put it simply, Yuri is too strong. His army and especially his navy are not balanced with the Allied and Soviet factions.

Whereas the Allied and Soviet factions rely on massing one or a few types of units, Yuri relies on a mix of units. Each unit in the mix does something exceptionally well, and they all cover the weaknesses of the other units. So, Yuri cannot mass units, and that may sound like an advantage for Soviet and especially Allied forces, it certainly is not. And the reason is one key unit. Here I will give a breakdown of each unit Yuri possesses in his arsenal. After reading this you may never want Yuri in your games. That is not what I am trying to do here, but it is my goal to inform.

Yuri's Infantry

Initiate- The initiate is the best basic infantryman amongst the three sides. Although I do not know exact numbers, I do know that initiates are the strongest damagewise, being stronger than conscripts and GIs. This is combined with the fact that they are the same price as GIs.

Brute- No imbalance here. Used as a scout, fodder unit, and tank killer. Although the brute scares dogs, regenerates health, and dismantles tanks, he is incredibly slow and can only melee attack. Easy to avoid.

Engineer- No imbalance here. Same as Allied and Soviet engineers.

Yuri Clone- No imbalance here. Yuri clones are rarely made. They can make early attacks impossible, but a good Yuri player will not need them.

Virus- Virii are very good units. While I would not call them imbalanced, they are very strong against infantry. They kill infantry better than a British sniper, and are available at midgame. But they are slightly more expensive to make up for this. Yuri players will sometimes use a virus to kill an enemy deso melting his slaves. The virus will die too.

Yuri Prime- This guy is very powerful, but more in an icing on the cake kind of way. He has long range mind control abilities, and can take over most buildings and structures. This makes him very powerful. He also has his psy wave which pretty much owns infantry, but that ability is irrelevant. His range and structure-seizing ability make him good, but I wouldn't say imbalanced.

Yuri Vehicles

Lasher Tank- Lasher tanks are comparable to grizzlies. However they are slightly better than grizzlies due to the fact that their projectiles travel faster, making them more accurate. Not imbalanced.

Gattling Tank- This unit is extremely imbalanced. It has an amazing rate of fire, but even better accuracy. This is unlike flak which is inaccurate with a fast rate of fire. It is pretty fast, and has good armor for an AA vehicle. A Korean black eagle can kill an IFV and flak track with one missile, but a Gattling Tank takes two. To make things worse, the longer it fires, the more damage it does! If that wasn't enough imbalance, it costs the same amount as an IFV, despite being a far superior unit. It can also fire on the move, unlike ifvs or flaks. Very unbalanced unit.

Chaos Drone- These units are more annoying than anything to enemy players. If anything, it is an underpowered unit. All it can do is make enemy units go berserk, attacking their creators vigorously. It has weak armor and not very fast, with no kind of protection. Combined with the insane price of 1000 credits you may wonder why anyone would build such a terrible unit. Turns out the drone has one use. If an Iraqi enemy is melting your slaves, the drone can go through the radiation without dying. However, the chaos drone can be droned by a terror drone, so it is still very limited in its application.

Magnetron- This is the key unit Yuri possesses. This unit is very imbalanced. Magnetrons make up for Yuri's inability to mass units. It does this by decentralizing a centralized group of units, and disrupting an enemy force. It can also kill tanks by dropping them on cliffs, onto other tanks, and onto buildings. This will severely damage the building by the way. If that was not bad enough, mags can juggle units keeping them frozen and allowing his comrades to still take shots at you. One mag can juggle 2-3 units and that is if the juggling is being controlled manually. There is an exploit to where the unit will do it on its own. Mags aren't cheap, and can be melted by desos. Chances are though, that you will not get close enough to the mag with a deso. Extremely imbalanced unit. Logically flawed from top to bottom.

Mastermind- Masterminds are like 3 yuri clones on wheels. They are very expensive and slow moving. However, if used correctly, can really win the game for Yuri. After a mastermind mind controls more than 3 units, it will start to lose life. The rate at which this happens increases drastically depending on the amount of units it has. Not imbalanced.

Floating Disk- Disks are extremely powerful units. They have decent armor, move at a decent speed, have a good amount of attack power, and can wreak havoc on enemy structures via sabotage. Put them over a power source, and they drain ALL the power that player has. Put them over a power supplied defense structure such as a tesla coil or patriot missile, it will shut it down. If a disk is over a refinery, it will drain money from it! To make matters even worse, disks can regenerate health like an apocalypse. Many Yuri players will mass these in the late game, combines with mags and gats on the ground. Imbalanced but not terribly imbalanced.

Yuri Navy

Hover Transport- Same as Allied and Soviet counterparts.

Boomer Sub- This is perhaps the most imbalanced unit in the game. This monstrosity is available at midgame tech level, but can appear at 3 mins into the game. It is stealthed, meaning it is impossible to detect. Then, it will start to blast away at your base. Nothing that can be done about it without spending much more than the Yuri player did on the boomer and sub pen. Uber imbalanced.

As you can see, imbalances are rampant in Yuri's army. But wait, the imbalances do not end there. Yuri has some imbalanced structures that make him even more difficult to defeat.

Bio Reactor- Yuri can power his whole base that has both superweapons with two fully loaded bio reactors. This may be more expensive, but Yuri has the best economy and it allows him to build other buildings instead of more reactors.

Slave Miner- Definition of imbalance. Since slave miners are mobile, Yuri players do not need to stretch to ore patches. This give him more time to micro his units. Although slaves are vulnerable, the slave miner can protect itself with its light machine gun. The slaves regenerate for free quickly anyway. The slave miner is also immune to radiation and terror drones. Adding more imbalance to the equation is the insane amount of health and armor they have. They make great late game fodder units. Imbalance if there ever was one.

Psychic Radar- Not too bad but it does tell where the enemy is going if they are in range. Not too much of an issue but can definately ruin a lot of well-planned, well-timed, and otherwise well-executed sneak attacks.

Grinder- The grinder itself is not imbalanced, just the way it is implemented. It gives a full refund for any mechanical unit put in there, and half a refund for organic units.

Genetic Mutator- Not imbalanced logically, but it is used in an exploitative way. Yuri players will group their miners together, let the slaves gather ore, and fire the mutator on them. All of those slaves just went from free units to $600 units. They then all go to the grinder. Suppose you had 5 slave miners. With 5 slaves per miner, you are looking at 25 slaves. Say the Yuri player fires the mutator and it only mutates 20 slaves. That is 600 X 20 = 12000/2 = 6000 credits worth going into the grinder. 6000 additional credits every five minutes is ridiculous. Then, the slaves will regenerate once again and gather ore on top of that. Rest my case.

Psychic Dominator- This weapon is imbalanced because it cannot be force shielded and it can mind control some units. Imbalanced.

You still may think that you can still beat a Yuri player that has the same amount of skill as you. You simply cannot beat his mix of units. 5 lone mags are one thing, but when you are up against 2 mags, 5 gats, 1 mastermind, 6 lashers, and 5+ disks, tell me how to counter that. That is $18700 worth of units. 20 rhinos would not beat that. 20 rhinos is equivalent to 18000 credits. Hell, 25 rhinos would not win.

In conclusion, Yuri not balanced with the other sides. It is pretty tough to balance massing factions with a mixing faction, but we all know it could have been done better than this. So, in the mean time, learn Allies and Soviet until I release a guide on how to beat Yuri as Soviet.

Source: http://cc-angelsofjustice.userboard.net/t11-yuri-and-why-he-is-overpowered

Credits to Osiris88 for this amazing analysis.

See you in game!

Hey there and welcome!

Really depends on the map and type of players, the Yuri faction has been arguably overpowered in comparison to other factions. Some others will argue against this, but generally its a much harder faction to play against.