Red Alert on Windows 7?

popeye

Hey I recently wanted to get back into RA and found the 3.03 full RA+ patch thing (which sounded good) however after attempting to install Westwood Internet, the game tells me there are unexpected registry problems and it won't let me do anything after that.

Anyone know how to get this gem of a game to work properly on Win 7?

You can try downloading this, it could save you some trouble. :)

That's what I meant at the start of my post when I said "I recently wanted to get back into RA and found the 3.03 full RA+ patch thing (which sounded good)". It installs it all, then when I go to run RA95 it attempts to install Westwood Online (their internet service thing like Battlenet) and if I say no I get an error saying "failed to install" and the game doesn't run. If I hit YES, then it says "unexpected registry error" > "failed to install Westwood online" and the game doesn't run.

Tried different install options, tried compatibility modes etc... But nothing seems to work.

Meh. Until it offers a good way to integrate the vids, I'm not using FullRA+.

Do you have a version  you use that works with windows 7? I don't specifically need the fullRA+ 3.03 one, I just wanted to play the game and it said it made the game playable on vista (old games that solve the vista issue often work on Win 7 too)

yes, the TFD version.

[edit]

Oh wait... now I see what your are talking about. You can skip the installation attempt of these Internet Components completely by replacing the file "RA95.LCF" in the game folder by the included "_RA95.LCF".

If you already have one of the later games (TS or RA2) installed, you already got these components anyway.

AH ok, thanks, that solved the issue and now it runs properly >.< I remember hearing about this for C&C but google couldn't help me out with RA >.<.

So basically what I did (for others in the same situation) was just deleted the RA95.LCF and renamed the _RA95.LCF to RA95.LCF in the .../westwood/ra folder

Thanks for that Nyerguds :D mucho <3

You can try downloading this, it could save you some trouble. :)

That's what I meant at the start of my post when I said "I recently wanted to get back into RA and found the 3.03 full RA+ patch thing (which sounded good)".

You confused me by saying patch, FullRA+ 3.03 is a NoCD distribution of the game with the 3.03 patch added in. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but this is the thread that helped me install Red Alert on Windows 7.  I have the 64 bit version of Windows 7 and the color on Red Alert is a bit messed up. It's still quite playable but still annoying.  Does anyone know anyway to fix this?

Thanks.

there is a way to fix the messed up colours on windows 7 of course make sure you use the Red Alert 64bit version

here is a link to the topic http://www.cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=711.0

(i think you have to update RA to the newest patch 3.03)

@Tore it would be good if you sticked that topic, even better if it was sticked and moved to the repain bay!