Censorship and lack of blood (CnC+Dune)

Revolutionary

While loocking threw PPM i came a cross this topic about the german "censored" version of generals

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25783

I was wondering what was censored from the original CnC's and 2D Dune games.

I believe RA1 and TS units had oil rather than blood however i have never seen an example of it r even the graphics

Realy what i am asking is can any one upload the graphics (.shp's) or post screenshot of the graphics and help identify what is different between the different version of the games.

on a side note since CnC, RA and TS+FS are freeware any body know if there are any no english versions up for download

(if CnC/RA is up for download anyware it stops me asking for the censored graphics, sounds, movies, etc. same goes for TS only i would like to see how a non english version of TS works not just strip it appart and leave it)

Revolutionary

As far as I can remember the German versions of C&C1, RA and TS had androids instead of humans and oil instead of blood. Voices where "robotized" and the squishing sound when people were ran over was replaced with the sound of a metal can popping open.

Actually, I think it would be interesting to have a look at those censored graphics and sounds, and generally official other language releases could be of interest.

There's a Greman version of MiniRA somewhere (I think you can just google it), which has most sounds and graphics from the Greman version (only the ugly hi-res infantry though), but not the terrain packs, which had the censored infantry remains too. I've got a German TEMPERATE.MIX, which not only has the censored decay graphics, but also a slightly different (and better-looking IMO) "electrocuted" sequence.

As for Dune 2, the German version is not censored in any way.

Well, since TD, RA and TS are freeware, I don't think that EA would mind if you look for their german versions on the web. :)

btw here's a report about Tiberian Sun's censoring as well as links to reports about the other censored C&C games (Tiberian Dawn, Red Alert, Generals and Tiberium Wars): http://www.schnittberichte.com/schnittbericht.php?ID=5975528

Please beware: the reports are in german. But there are many pictures as well.

And there are many uncut patches for TD, RA, TS and Generals (TW's Kane Edition isn't censored). Is it ok if I add links here?

Another interesting thing with German censoring is how some of the mission briefings and, more generally, plot and premises get altered as well. A fun example is from RA Counterstrike Soviet mission inside an Allied complex where the objective is to assassinate Stavros. The German briefing states that the target is a robotic doppelganger of Stavros built by the Allies to deceive the Soviets, and the objective is to destroy it in order to show "those Allies" they were not fooled. IMO, it would be far more logical to ignore the doppelganger entirely instead :D

@FekLeyrTarg

Good thing im learning German (pitty im so bad at it :P )

It would be imo hypocritical if EA got upset about a Freeware game being putup for download in another language so yea

and yea add a link

@MrFlibble

Firestorm would be very interesting to say the least.

Ill have a look and it would be great if you could upload/send me the graphics

I've attached animated GIFs of the "electrocution" sequence in English and Greman RA. The latter looks like there are sparks flying around the affected soldier: perhaps it was done to show that infantry units are robots made of metal, or maybe they just used a different version of the animation. BTW, the German SOUNDS.MIX also has two unused, unidentified files that seem like cloak/uncloak sounds to me.

electro.gif.ebcce761d9cecd60416ef34cefeac779.gif

electro_ger.gif.c8ed7257de750909e33b2572d0e8daad.gif

RA_unknown_sounds.zip

Other things related to censoring in German RA include the renaming of the Medic into "Mechanobot", with the red cross replaced with a wrench both on the unit build icon and the "healing" mouse cursor. The Attack Dog is called "Terminator-Wachhund" ("Terminator Guard Dog"), which is rather cheesy IMO. I don't know if the dog sprite was censored or not, but all the dog sounds remain the same so it is probably still meant to be organic.

The icons in both the French and German versions are different in that the text area is darker than in the English version, and the letters do not have black shadows/outlines. Some icons are a bit different (mostly related to the orientation: certain icons are "mirrored" compared to their English counterparts).

• 2 weeks later...