Modifying Rules.ini

stix1845

Hi,

I'm trying to modify the rules.ini for RA1. I have downloaded the file, made the changes (triple checked spelling, etc), and moved the Rules.ini file into the Command & Conquer Red Alert folder in the C drive. However, every time I try to start the game, the changes don't take effect.

I'm playing in the multiplayer skirmishes.

Please help. I'm not much of a computer person, but I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

for cncnet multiplayer / skirmish you'll need to rename the file to spawn.xdp

I've done this but it's still not changing?

Make sure the file is really named spawn.xdp and NOT spawn.xdp.ini, because windows hides the extension by default and doesn't allow you to change it

Make sure the file is really named spawn.xdp and NOT spawn.xdp.ini, because windows hides the extension by default and doesn't allow you to change it

I've managed to get it work! Thank you.

I have another question.. I've realised they're only 2 soviet sides now, how do I switch a country from allied to soviet?

• 1 month later...

I've managed to get it work! Thank you.

I have another question.. I've realised they're only 2 soviet sides now, how do I switch a country from allied to soviet?

Hi, can you tell me how you did it? I am trying to do the same withe Reborn mod rulesmd.ini but it doesn't matter if I put the file in the folder or inside the expand98.mix again. Changes would simply not take effect and I am playing single player and OFFLINE only. Maybe it can work for me too...

• 2 years later...

Originally it is in a mix file called 'redalert.mix/local.mix/rules.ini'.

The one that cncnet uses is called spawn.xdp. It's inside the main directory. You can open spawn.xdp with notepad and its functionally identical to rules.ini.

I strongly recommend put rules.ini changes within a map file if you want to make changes that you can play with other players online.

4 hours ago, AndrewFord said:

Originally it is in a mix file called 'redalert.mix/local.mix/rules.ini'.

The one that cncnet uses is called spawn.xdp. It's inside the main directory. You can open spawn.xdp with notepad and its functionally identical to rules.ini.

I strongly recommend put rules.ini changes within a map file if you want to make changes that you can play with other players online.

i tried to do it with the map file yet nothing has changed

@slimeonthestr That's a false-positive. Also, I would recommend getting rid of McAfee completely. It's honestly not that great, and Windows Defender has gotten insanely good over the years. That's completely my opinion though.

Quick interjection, here are all the files you'll need to start.
Rules commented: 
RULES-n.INI <--- *RECOMMENDED*
Rules uncommented: Rules.ini
Aftermath: AFTRMATH.INI

As for editing rules.ini, I would actually avoid that completely and instead put the changes that you want to make onto a map file instead.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll try my best to answer.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2/7/2021 at 4:58 AM, paul.baaklini said:

hello i saw your post about the ini rules for red alret 95, i am not abel to change the rules inside the multiplayer game

can you help, pleasse???

Thank you, you can message me on whatsapp 009617698861

the file name CNCNet uses is spawn.xdp or spawnam.xdp for aftermath, it doesnt use rules.ini anymore.  If you want to add rules.ini changes to a map (which i highly recommend since other players will be able to play the map without having to download anything) just open the map file in notepad and copy & paste the changes to the bottom of the map file.

Do note if you open ra95-spawn.exe it will launch RA just like if you had the CD in 1996 and will read rules.ini like you'd expect.  I assume the CNCNet client uses a different file name for rules.ini so you can play mods offline while maintaining online compatability.