Fog of war problem

Assist

Hi

Fog of war, the feature that failed to work in TS, and never fixed. TS units were designed to perform with fog of war on, plus night morning dynamic which then this idea was dropped all together as Westwood was sold to EA. The fog of war function as a result is still immature.

The following is only my humble opinion, I think there is a great potential if fog of war is fixed for good. There were two main problems with fog of war, when players tried it online, the game would crash in the middle of game. The result is fog of war never put into practice. The second problem is that the spot scouted almost immediately shrinks to nothing and returns to black.

Now, the suggestion is that if the host player ticked the fog of war on, then the black shroud is either removed all together or just don't allow it to regrow. The transparent shroud remains, instead of having both together. Yes the map is revealed but no units or Tiberium growth are to be visible. Next, instead of fog regrowing immediately, I'd stay spot stays scouted for 1 minute. We can as players test that in different maps and I imagine this would add more depth to the game and more use of variety of units such us  walverines, buggies, stealth tanks,...etc

In short, There are two options. Either keep black and transparent shroud but only transparent remain regrows. The second option, which I personally see it a more viable option, is when fog of war is ticked on, then just keep the transparent shroud that regrows and remove the black shroud all at once.

What do admins and players think about this suggestion? Leave your response.

not bad ideas.  i remember playing with tons of fog of war back in the day with no errors, but have also heard from some that it causes errors.

cncnet disabled it because they thought it was responsible for many errors.

curious what @dkeeton thinks about your idea.

Fog of War causes crashes. I investigated it over the summer but I couldn't find a good way to prevent the crash and I gave up.

When a partially fogged building gets redrawn because it's near the bottom or top of the screen the fogged building image gets drawn outside of the memory allocated for the screen and causes an access violation modern operating systems. It might not have caused a crash on ME and 98 because I don't think they protected unallocated memory pages. And I think it might not crash on XP systems if you were using an older graphics card.

The regrowth of fog itself is the trigger for the crash so any regrowing Fog is out of the question.

What is possible is to have regrowing shroud.

If any one wants to try getting Fog working then feel free. I can send you all the information I have. Here is the TS repo so you can build test changes for yourself https://github.com/CnCNet/ts-patches

• 4 weeks later...

Fog of War causes crashes. I investigated it over the summer but I couldn't find a good way to prevent the crash and I gave up.

When a partially fogged building gets redrawn because it's near the bottom or top of the screen the fogged building image gets drawn outside of the memory allocated for the screen and causes an access violation modern operating systems. It might not have caused a crash on ME and 98 because I don't think they protected unallocated memory pages. And I think it might not crash on XP systems if you were using an older graphics card.

The regrowth of fog itself is the trigger for the crash so any regrowing Fog is out of the question.

If any one wants to try getting Fog working then feel free. I can send you all the information I have. Here is the TS repo so you can build test changes for yourself https://github.com/CnCNet/ts-patches

I've actually never seen shroud to regrow! Are you sure its possible? Regrowing shroud also crashed with the Trigger "101 Reshroud Map At...",

The crate goodie that makes the entire map reshroud does work ofcourse, just like the trigger "51 Reshroud Map", but never a small piece like in RA2

I've actually never seen shroud to regrow! Are you sure its possible? Regrowing shroud also crashed with the Trigger "101 Reshroud Map At...",

The crate goodie that makes the entire map reshroud does work ofcourse, just like the trigger "51 Reshroud Map", but never a small piece like in RA2

Shroud regrowth rate is in the rules.ini under General, it works exactly how Fog Of War regrowth patterns work.

Trigger 101: I think FinalSun is wrong here. I remember checking a while ago and I think that trigger is actually Anti-ping. Which should take a unit as an argument and it causes the unit to flash black. It's the opposite of ping which I think causes a unit flash white (for example: when you click to attack a building).

You could verify my findings by creating a ping(or flash ... I can't remember the name) trigger and switch out trigger 101 with it and see if it does an anti-ping.