Computer Ideas for CNC compatibility

pharmkiller

18 hours ago, Myg said:

The guys around here are amazing, they might as well be wizards!

I suppose none of em have a passion for RA2.

They do.

It's Microsoft who has the problem, with Windows 8 and above having absolutely abysmal legacy support. It's either the garbage spyware operating system or Command and Conquer, don't blame these guys for your bad choice in software.

I don't think you understand ANewWorldRecord.

Microsoft will always drop support for previous functions/API which leads to old games breaking.

The devs around here usually fix those problems if they have the incentive: Obviously if its not fixed they lack the desire to do so.

Maybe someone else will come along and fix it, but until then, I don't think the issue will go anywhere.

5 minutes ago, Myg said:

I don't think you understand ANewWorldRecord.

Microsoft will always drop support for previous functions/API which leads to old games breaking.

The devs around here usually fix those problems if they have the incentive: Obviously if its not fixed they lack the desire to do so.

Maybe someone else will come along and fix it, but until then, I don't think the issue will go anywhere.

It's arguable that a good portion of the community has the good sense not to use Windows 8/10. They're just terrible, and while Microsoft will always be dropping functions there's a limit to how much the devs can get working. I fully support calling out developers/admins/etc. on bullshit, but this is just grasping at the straws. If you want to play something like Commander Keen, as dedicated as the community is, you still have to run it in a DOS environment. With games as old as this you are obviously going to have to make some sacrifices at the end user level to get them working even with devs who work a thousand times as expediently as the ones here. There's only so much they can do before Microsoft drops something that they just cannot fix.

12 minutes ago, ANewWorldRecord said:

It's arguable that a good portion of the community has the good sense not to use Windows 8/10. They're just terrible, and while Microsoft will always be dropping functions there's a limit to how much the devs can get working. I fully support calling out developers/admins/etc. on bullshit, but this is just grasping at the straws. If you want to play something like Commander Keen, as dedicated as the community is, you still have to run it in a DOS environment. With games as old as this you are obviously going to have to make some sacrifices at the end user level to get them working even with devs who work a thousand times as expediently as the ones here. There's only so much they can do before Microsoft drops something that they just cannot fix.

Agreed but If it comes down to that the devs might use a VM system instead of replacement dlls or modified exes: I suppose it wouldn't be easy to distribute though.