Viceroids - new CnCNet checkbox?

AchromicWhite

They're cool and all... but annoying when you're trying to have a match. There must be some sort of trigger to allow them, as their spawning is excluded from single player.
I was wondering if there would be any for us to have a check box to switch them off. Even if it replaced one of the check boxes we have now (like separate helipads or something).

viceroids do a lot of damage if untended. Which is very determining in a 1v1 match that might be close. They often start at the first second harassing my CY. Not amused.

I rather see them spawning from a tiberium field by dead infantry then a "no reason to" kind of spawn. And only once every 30 infantry or so.

Well they don't seem to be doing anything with C&C95 at the moment. They might look in OOS issues, but the community isn't really asking for anything, so it's all dead in the water.

This is one of the reasons I've made threads in the past, to try and get something rolling on other ideas. But so long as you're here, it looks like nothing's going to happen.

I always giggle when someone's base got attacked by a visceroid when it's defenseless but yes, they are really annoying if it happens to me.

I always survive a visceroid attack in the first 10 seconds of the game and I do agree it ruins a good 1v1 even if you survived. You lost focus on building as you are managing to kill the creature, possible loss of early infantry as they appear unexpectedly and easily "squish" your troops and economy is affected when you need to repair buildings (they do a lot damage) or replace fallen infantry.

The worst part is when my opponent couldn't handle an early visceroid on his base and resigned in the first 30 seconds (not a fun game). I had one newbie calling me a cheater in the lobby for "building a red flame tank very fast".

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ore_truck said:

The worst part is when my opponent couldn't handle an early visceroid on his base and resigned in the first 30 seconds (not a fun game). I had one newbie calling me a cheater in the lobby for "building a red flame tank very fast".

I had a commando in a crate with some other infantry. In the first 15 seconds. Walked right into the enemies base. Told him to untick the crate box.

How about this? Several viceroids attacking. 1 is focussed on each player. At least that keeps the despair fair.

3 hours ago, X3M said:

I had a commando in a crate with some other infantry. In the first 15 seconds. Walked right into the enemies base. Told him to untick the crate box.

How about this? Several viceroids attacking. 1 is focussed on each player. At least that keeps the despair fair.

I'm not sure about this but how does the visceroid AI work? I assumed they'd always attack the player who happens to be in the top left of the map. Having multiple visceroids each attacking a different player might be impossible.

• Upvote 1

Like all other AI units, it attacks top left, yes. Since it's a crusher though it will also go out of its way to try and squish men that attack it. That's why grenadiers are the best to take care of it. The incoming grenade triggers the scatter mechanic and the visceroid just gets confused and stumbles around. Same thing you can see with Nod tanks in the GDI campaign when you attack them with grenades. 

Sure, they can ruin the occasional game, but I don't find them all that troublesome. It's like a 1/100 chance or less that someone gets their first power or CY killed, which is the real blow. They're also kinda like god's way of telling you to build barracks before factory. If people badly want to eliminate the visc-risk, it can be done even without outright stopping them from spawning - change the stats: take away the weapon, make it a non-crusher, give it pathetic health, etc. 

• Upvote 1

Didn't read your entire wall of text, Chem, but please stop implying I somehow 'agree' with you about something just to further your very immature arguments with White. This is not the first time you're doing it either. In short: stop putting words or opinions in my mouth. In fact, as I stated, visceroids can be game-breaking and in any actual 'pro' competition I'd like to see them gone, but then I'd also like to see everybody playing at a set resolution, etc. And that's a whole different thread.

I deal with them easily, but I'll gladly offer my opponent a restart if I see him getting mauled by one, as should any decent player. Of course, if my opponent did get mauled by a visceroid, I'll probably snap him like a twig in 2 minutes flat, even without the help. But that's totally beside the point and a far cry from me taking a side in the childish online rivalry you have with White. You know precisely well what I don't agree with so don't play coy.

Yeah, the last game that triggered me to write this thread was where I was chasing bike buggy up and down the western side of my base, when a vic spawned at the east and attacked a ref. It actually took it out before I could do anything...

I still won the match. But it just makes me think that it'd be good if we could just have a check box, so that it can be sorted.

@Chem
I indeed hope that you are acting more mature, and I never expected people to outright agree with me. Having a discussion with you doesn't at all sound appealing, however. And re-writing my thread just to have a clean slate to work from doesn't really appeal to me, either. It sounds more like a waste of my time.

• Ferret locked this topic