Tiberium Sun - Windows 7 crashing ingame randomly

Kidd

Hello all,

While playing Tiberium Sun (Which I downloaded from you Gentlemen) I will crash during the game, this can vary from "Sun has encountered a problem and needs to close" or "Tiberium Sun is no longer responding" as you can imagine, this is a very annoying problem.

I had orginally downloaded TS from the CnC Classics website as freeware but encountered the same issue, I deleted the registry and then installed your .exe file. Proberly worth mentioning that I was patched up to the latest on the CnC Freeware copy aswell as a community patch which apperently claims at fixing it.

My specs are:

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

Processor (Dual Core) 2.13GHz

2GB RAM

ATI Raedon 5700 Series 2GB Video Memory.

I've been looking for a simple answer to this issue for a while now, however through looking at other sites I've been told to (very unhelpfully) reinstall windows to 2000/ME if I want to play Tiberium Sun without any issues. Obviously not a realistic solution.

How commen a problem is this? I cant imagine it would be anything to do with my registry as I was encountering this problem from the first install.

Oh, and I'm running in compatibly mode for  W98/W ME And also running as an administrator.

Any and all help is appreciated, just wanting to get back into playing TS. I'm not even concerend with online I'd just want Single player working for more than 5 - 10 minutes!

Thanks in advance guys.

Try to use a modified DDraw.dll for Tiberian Sun, this one solves a lot of problems.

About the Windows ME instalation: do not waste your time installing it, ME will always crash on dual-core computers, and, because you got 2GB of RAM, you will get memory errors... MESS. What you can do is installing Windows XP Mode (you can google for this one), and install TS on the VM, but first, try the ddraw.dll thing.

Try to use a modified DDraw.dll for Tiberian Sun, this one solves a lot of problems.

About the Windows ME instalation: do not waste your time installing it, ME will always crash on dual-core computers, and, because you got 2GB of RAM, you will get memory errors... MESS. What you can do is installing Windows XP Mode (you can google for this one), and install TS on the VM, but first, try the ddraw.dll thing.

Unfortunately I'm only getting a black screen now. I can hear the game sounds still. Just no display.

Kidd are you running game.exe in Windows 98/Me compatibility mode? If that doesn't help try updating DirectX and video drivers.

Windows 7 is not the problem, Tiberian Sun works 100% on Windows 7 both 32 and 64-bits versions.

The problem TS has is that it is picky with modern hardware, on some computers it runs perfectly and others it's unstable or lags for no apparent reason

Update to your latest video drivers.

Just did that and still crashed to desktop with "Game.exe has stopped working."

Kidd are you running game.exe in Windows 98/Me compatibility mode? If that doesn't help try updating DirectX and video drivers.

Windows 7 is not the problem, Tiberian Sun works 100% on Windows 7 both 32 and 64-bits versions.

The problem TS has is that it is picky with modern hardware, on some computers it runs perfectly and others it's unstable or lags for no apparent reason

I'm running Game.exe in 98/ME compat, aswell as an Administrator - Still to no avail, I crash ingame randomy. ddraw.dll simply turns my screen black, I can still hear the game playing (Menu that is) but cant see it.

I have just updated to my latest video drivers, and my Direct X was already at DX11.

Any further suggestions?

Maybe installing the DX9 components might help... I heard that some of them are missing in DX11.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

I know this helped some people run Renegade on Win7.

Downloaded Direct X9 and installed it in C/Windows/System 32

Played first level of GDI and then a skirmish game, gameplay seemed far more stable than before. However left my skirmish game to try Firestorm and now it crashes like before..

Are you using the Custom DDraw.DLL? if not, try using that, if yes, delete that to see what happens.

Why microsoft persiste to do those disgusting jobs?

Err what?

I mean, why microsoft remove userfull things from they applications, and do bad jobs?//

What anti virus software are you using? Some of them doesn't like old games.

Downloaded Direct X9 and installed it in C/Windows/System 32

Did it tell you to do that? When I installed it it didn't ask for a directory at all.

you "are being asked for a Directory"? by what? Your web browser, or an installer program?

Obviously you have to download that tool and then run it, but it doesn't matter at all where you put the actual installer tool. And the installer program itself shouldn't ask for any folders.

• 1 year later...

Sorry just discovered this one  :(

I dunno if this can solve your problem. Why not run it with CPU 0 Affinity? Don't know how?

Step by Step:

1.Open Windows Task Manager by pressing ctrl + shift +esc at the same time

2.Go to Processes

3.Look for .exe or .dat file of your Tiberian Sun

4.Right Click on 'em and Set Affinity

5.Make sure that only CPU 0 is running

or you can download this one www.sevenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/72175d1273546533-processor-affinity-add-set-affinity-context-menu-add_run_with_cpu-0_affinity_to_context_menu.bat oh and ensure that you will run this as an admin.

Hope this Helps  ;)

EDIT: After installing that one, make sure next time you will right click and select Run with CPU 0 Affinity

Again, Hope this Helps ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry just discovered this one  :(

I dunno if this can solve your problem. Why not run it with CPU 0 Affinity? Don't know how?

Step by Step:

1.Open Windows Task Manager by pressing ctrl + shift +esc at the same time

2.Go to Processes

3.Look for .exe or .dat file of your Tiberian Sun

4.Right Click on 'em and Set Affinity

5.Make sure that only CPU 0 is running

or you can download this one www.sevenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/72175d1273546533-processor-affinity-add-set-affinity-context-menu-add_run_with_cpu-0_affinity_to_context_menu.bat oh and ensure that you will run this as an admin.

Hope this Helps  ;)

EDIT: After installing that one, make sure next time you will right click and select Run with CPU 0 Affinity

Again, Hope this Helps ;)

You realize you just bumped a topic from last year?

He said the Tiberian Sun crashes ingame randomly, this is possibly do to a waveclass error, he can try the new CnCGraphicsPatch, it basically changes the way the game is drawn and fixes the waveclass issues.

Crap, I just bumped an old topic, I posted without looking, thats mybad, I know thats against the rules, sorry guys.  :(