Error Installing Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun for MacOS

ridgek

Question

Hello,

I've also posted this on the portingkit forums, but I just realized I might get better help here. I'm trying to install Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun for MacOS (http://portingkit.com/game/366), but it gives me the attached error message when installing: "Error 12169 from wininet.dll". It looks like it's a problem downloading the game's resource files?

I'd appreciate any help anyone could offer!

Thanks!

index.png

6 answers to this question

Thanks for the quick reply, FunkyFr3sh! I was actually trying to install the full game and not just the online play, although it looks like the CnCNet app already got installed for me, possibly when I installed Tiberium Dawn or Red Alert? The PortingKit version is what's linked to at https://cncnet.org/tiberian-sun.

Anyway, I ended up opening the Wine wrapper and installed the EA Freeware version into it, then applied the CnCNet patch. Seems like everything's working now.

Instructions below for anyone who needs them:

1. Attempt to install C&C Tiberian Sun + Firestorm from Porting Kit.
    It fails at the error I originally posted about, but should install the necessary Wine wrapper, winetricks, etc.

2. Download the EA freeware version OfficialCnCTiberianSun.rar (which contains the C&C: The First Decade version).

3. Right-Click on the C&C Tiberian Sun + FireStorm app installed by PortingKit,
    and select "Show Package Contents"

4. Extract OfficialCnCTiberianSun.rar into C:/Program Files/
    so that all the game files end up in C:/Program Files/EA Games/Command & Conquer The First Decade/Command & Conquer(tm) Tiberian Sun(tm)/SUN/
    The above path gets used in the registry file in step 9 below.

5. Delete the C:/Westwood directory created by the PortingKit installer, as it's no longer needed

6. Back at the root of the C&C Tiberian Sun + FireStorm app package, open the Wineskin app.

7. Select Wineskin "Advanced"

8. In Wineskin Advanced, select Tools -> regedit to open Registry Editor

9. In Registry Editor, select Registry -> Import Registry File.
    Then, select C:/Program Files/EA Games/Command & Conquer The First Decade/tibsun_regadd.reg
    Then, close Registry Editor

10. Download the "Patch for existing installations (Windows)" (TSpatch.exe) from https://cncnet.org/tiberian-sun

11. In Wineskin Advanced, select "Install Software", and select TSpatch.exe

12. The patch will automatically open the C&C launcher, close it to finish work on the Wine wrapper.

13. In Wineskin Advanced, in the "Windows EXE" field,  select TSLauncher.exe, the path should look like this:
    /Program Files/EA Games/Command & Conquer The First Decade/Command & Conquer(tm) Tiberian Sun(tm)/SUN/TSLauncher.exe

14. In Wineskin Advanced, select "Test Run" to make sure everything works.

15. Close Wineskin Advanced and launch C&C Tiberian Sun + Firestorm.app

I downloaded it using the link on that page a few days ago. Just to make sure I'm not crazy, did that link get updated? I'm like 99% sure it was "Full Game via Porting Kit" for macOS when I dl'd it. If not, I don't know how I ended up using that version! ? Anyway, thanks for your help (and also for updating that link if you did!). I will probably uninstall the PortingKit version and use that one just in case I did something wrong

54 minutes ago, ridgek said:

I downloaded it using the link on that page a few days ago. Just to make sure I'm not crazy, did that link get updated? I'm like 99% sure it was "Full Game via Porting Kit" for macOS when I dl'd it. If not, I don't know how I ended up using that version! ? Anyway, thanks for your help (and also for updating that link if you did!). I will probably uninstall the PortingKit version and use that one just in case I did something wrong

That's correct, there was a link to the porting kit too until yesterday (I removed it now since it's using an old installer).

Will add the link back when it gets updated, until then it's better to use our .app since it's always up-to-date

• Like 1