Tiberian Dawn - The Huge Collection (single player)

Chimas

Good Job, Chimas!  I can tell a lot of work has gone in to the Catalog lately.

By the way, was Wounded Eagle ever fixed, or does it still crash after mission 4?  If it has not been fixed, then I think other missions and campaigns that have not yet been added should take priority.  Perhaps Wounded Eagle should even be removed temporarily.

Hm? If there are any specific missions with problems, I can always take a look at their triggers, and see if anything in there is wrong.

Actually, I just remembered that it's not a crash.  The campaign simply isn't finished, and takes you back to the menu after mission #4 (even though there should be 15 missions or so).  It is talked about at the top of page 8:

http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=1786.105

I left the campaign there, so anyone could be independent (of me) and get a copy of the current state.

So, this is what I'm thinking:

- cut the campaign making it jumps from M4 to M7 and left a note about the situation in the documents;

- invent the missing parts of the map in missions M5 and M6, so the campaign can go ahead, but it will take some time.

If there is no objection, I'll start doing that in the weekend.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

apparently back in the day people were obsessed with Chinooks unloading mammoths.  Whenever that happens, I move on to the next mission, lol......  Whenever I see mixed tech, too which is rampant in these missions. 

BTW, whenever I try to open one of these up in xcc or ccmap, it bugs out.  What were they using when they made these missions?  I run into this problem a lot with old maps like these and the ones I found on realmacmark's page.

lol. It just looks so ridiculous to see a Chinook unloading a mammoth tank xD

Chimas: MrFlibble pointed me to an old folder he found through archive.org which contains a bunch of maps and missions. I don't expect there to be much new in there, but it might be worth checking out:

http://web.archive.org/web/19970416095822/http://shadow.ix.netcom.com/files/c%26c/

File is ccsngle1.zip

There are also a bunch of multiplayer maps in c&c-mp1.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I checked, but nothing new on it.

Changing subject: I've been talking to MattAttack, testing his missions and such. I'm warming up to bring in new stuff. Won't be soon because I'm going out for vacation. By July, I hope to have some news.

Good News !

« Sent to: FunkyFr3sh on: 30 May 2015, 19:03:40 »

Hi funky,

I'd like to ask if I can "advertise" the Huge Collection Project in cncnet lobby.

And in doing so, what would be the best way or moment to do that? It doesn't have to be often.

Yes sure, I can promote it via the bot, I does send a random promo message every 15minutes

« Sent to: FunkyFr3sh on: Today at 07:09:08 »

MattAttack gave an idea for the Huge Collection link.

It would be something like "Needing some training ground?" or "Need another kind of game?", etc

If you air it, let me know.

I added it already some days ago, here is the message:

[17:06] <@CnCNet5_Bot> The Tiberian Dawn Catalog - 600+ single player missions for CnC95 - http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=1786.0

By 'campaign', 'mini campaign' etc - these custom-made missions (and not by Westwood) I guess? Does anyone have an idea how tough they are, if compared to the original ones by Westwood?

EDIT - nvm I'll do some missions when I get back..if anyone has recommendations on which are the toughest missions to do, I'll be glad to try them.

Campaign - from 4 to 15 missions

Mini - 02 or 03 missions

IDK if they are tough, but I think you should play them.

Campaigns - The Amazon War, Ossiforce, Waffenklau, The Arctic Missions

Minis - Cyberwar, Tankwars, Holland Mission, Tobias Janßen

Missions - Filter by Authors and check for missions made by Franz Kohlrus, Defend by Tsuyoshi Kihara, Andrew Griffin, Jafet Kackur, Han Brunger, David Mayr, Jon Magne Austenaa, 

Most of the maps from 2008 up to now - MrFlibble, Lin Kuei Ominae, probably all missions by MattAttack, Tore, Nyerguds, Alexander Klietz (I'm not sure now if I updated his missions, probably not).

For a broader view, check the index

I left a lot of good stuff out, I don't remember all details.

Some missions I haven't played them yet, I just saw the map long time ago to fix problems.

If you find problems: REPORT.

Enjoy and have fun!

Sorry for the wall.

I will tell you the ones made by Franz Kohlrus and Lin Kuei Ominae, the missions in the middle of my learning curve:

- SCG309 - The Hard Invasion by Lin Kuei Ominae - the AI feel so human in this map.

- SCB155 - Air Fight by Franz Kohlrus - if you're a casual player it will eat your base, brick by brick, very slowly like a snake (not saying snakes eat bricks...). Also a good example of a mission focused on a unit (not the air units) as solution. At least my solution.

Back then, I used to play in the middle of the speed bar, so it took hours to beat a mission. When I started to produce the collection, I got the habit to perform "massive death scouts" in many maps because I wasn't aware of the deshroud feature (cheat) and ironically, that improved my game play. Also when I started to experiment to play online with other players, it was required to set to full speed and that also impacted the way I play.

It's difficult for me to choose the best. There is a lot of missions I haven't finished.

Not because I'm a bad player, it's just lazyness (so, bad player). I refuse to sweat to play a game, but Tiberian Dawn can be ruthless some times. Maybe I should have listed those I couldn't make it, but, considering you guys are so addicted to this game, I don't think they are difficult, it's just me. The problem is that I don't memorize the ones I fail (Andrew Griffin comes to mind). I memorize the ones I like it. And those are the ones that I almost beat it many times. Other feature they share is that they work like a clockwork, your basic responses are connected to a trigger and teamtype, meaning, you have to change the way you think if you want to win - in my opinion the essence of a RTS game as well as a life lesson.

If we get more people playing, I plan to make an Authors month thread and ask everybody to play missions of the same author to discuss.

But first I want to get closer to 95% in the collection and get more feedbacks. In every 3 or 4 missions I play I find something to fix, even in those that are published. It's an endless job.

About your missions, I have to play them all in a row. Right now I finished Nod's campaign and now I'm moving to GDI's. I'm playing the stock missions again to play those that are alternatives, I haven't played them.

Also, I ask you to check your missions to be sure they are updated. I liked Biolab because it was one of the first with SNOW and I was finishing a snow map at that time. If you have some time, play the Arctic Missions, I converted them to snow scenario, and because 3 of the missions were broken, I practically remade them.

Talk more later ...

Ah, yes... Airfight is a good one.  Unique concept.  In fact it inspired me to make a similar mission for my campaign since I've sort of (almost) perfected some of the ideas in it. 

SPOILER ALERT:

the GDI apaches just bothered me, though.. lol

I watched the video (very entertaining, as always!) and I saw your comment about the chinook not landing.  I used to have that very frustrating problem, so I looked at the scripting.  In the .ini the teamtype for the chinook reinforcement is:

heli1=GoodGuy,0,0,[glow=green,2,300]0[/glow],0,0,[glow=red,2,300]7[/glow],0,0,0,3,TRAN:1,E6:4,RMBO:1,2,Move:[glow=blue,2,300]17[/glow],Unload:[glow=blue,2,300]17[/glow],0,0

first note the commands: Move:[glow=blue,2,300]17[/glow],Unload:[glow=blue,2,300]17[/glow],0,0

if you happen to be standing on the waypoint [glow=blue,2,300]17[/glow], I don't believe the chopper will even appear onscreen.  You may hear "reinforcements have arrived," but nada....

also I see the u1# (as it's referred to in xcc) is set to [glow=red,2,300]7[/glow] which I have found to be too low in a lot of cases if there's a lot of carnage on the screen.  for player reinforced choppers, I prefer [glow=red,2,300]30[/glow].  If you do this, they will hover until the waypoint is free.

and this is one of the few instances where I apply 'force move' just to make sure. thats the green [glow=green,2,300]0[/glow] meaning in this team, it's set to off.

so, I'd make the team:

heli1=GoodGuy,0,0,[glow=green,2,300]1[/glow],0,0,[glow=red,2,300]30[/glow],0,0,0,3,TRAN:1,E6:4,RMBO:1,2,Move:[glow=blue,2,300]17[/glow],Unload:[glow=blue,2,300]17[/glow],0,0

and sometimes I move the waypoint ([glow=blue,2,300]17[/glow]) to an area less likely to have 50 tanks rolling over it. 

Note that you can set enemy choppers to this, too but the force move and the u1# will affect the behavior of any units they offload.  These settings are perfect for enemy engineers, though.

if anybody cares... lol

**EDIT: I was looking at the original download here in the singleplayer missions section, not the huge collection.  However, I don't think Chimas edited this anyways but just in case!

Hi RC,

I think you should make a more fair assessment, before saying the mission is "very" broken. If you don't take into account that you're a good competitive player (rather than a casual player), any mission will be easy.

First, you stopped the natural move of your invading forces, like knowing where the threat is. Then you set an airstrike in the top left corner of the shroud, that happened to destroy one of the Nod's CY by luck or because you know it was there. If you'll ever be lucky on the first try on any map, I find hard for you to have fun with SP missions.

The Chinook problem is not a mission problem, rather a game problem, as explained by Matt. I don't think it's a problem: in real life it will land whenever is possible, just like in-mission. The fact that you get annoyed by not having the reinforcement, just emphasize how cool the mission is. You have to adapt and go ahead.

The lack of power is something I'll have to check, but I believe that the mapmaker made it this way so as go on destroying things you enable power to the Obelisks. As far as I remember, when you first encounter that OBLI line they have power enough to not allow that pass. Don't know what has happened. Also, I don't remember to have edited the script on this mission. I'll check for this and thanks for the heads up.

About the uncapturable BioLabs, you're right and it's not difficult to solve. This map is made by an active mapmaker, he's involved with Twisted Inssurrection (last time I checked) and, so far, he didn't fix this problem, nor I will. I think just changing to a tech-center and adding cap/des trigger solves the problem. But you can't call it "very broken" just because of the last 2 enemy structures standing up in-game.

I don't want to make this response looks like a challenge. I can see in the video that your game skills are of a respectfull experienced multi-player. The fact that you destroy everything you see just prooves that. I'm also not against that style either. The single player experience is more oriented to casual players. The only way a mapmaker have to counter your gameplay style is by making a fast paced game. The only mapmaker doing modern missions like that is MattAttack.

Generally, if not all, I like his maps, but I don't like fast paced missions. But I also don't think he or whoever should change that, because the "map base" needs more missions like that. It's how the game is played these days. I have made some missions myself a bit like that, but I dislike it. In one hand, it's coward to the casual player and in the other hand it's a way to get more replayability (desired by players too). So mapmakers have to ponder about the right point of balance.

In anyways, thanks for playing and providing a video.

Don't get so defensive, Chimas, he did say "nevertheless, it was good fun."

Let me say that I above anybody else is most in debt to LKO and all the pioneering discoveries he made.  (Particularly the u1#)  Without his discoveries and a whole lot of help from Nyer and you I wouldn't have stuck to this.  HOWEVER-- being someone who obsessively tests his missions to be as consistent and as close to perfection as possible, can understand a lot of the issues RC brings up.  That helicopter is pretty crucial to the mission, but that's not even the issue here.  The win trigger is 'Badguy all destroyed' yet if you destroy the biolab you lose.  the biolab is uncapturable (although that can be fixed via 1.06)  so it's impossible to win.  It's a legitimate gripe and I know I'd be pissed if I spent all that time playing the mission only to realize it was unwinnable.  I know it's an inhuman task to try and fix all 600+ missions but these criticisms are fair and you asked for people to report bugs.  If anybody finds glaring errors in my missions PLEASE LET ME KNOW!! I learn from them :) have a nice day!

I understand that looks like defensive, but you'll play a lot of easy missions bug free in the collection.

The BioLabs have been addressed in its own thread and the author didn't change it.

I think it was my fault not to mention that when suggesting the mission. I didn't remember, it's been a long time, but I still believe it's one of the most creative missions in the collection. I'm also not invalidating the assessment, just asking to weigh things better.

There is nothing wrong with the Chinook, SP is not supposed to be balanced, symmetrical and etc. Sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't. You also get ORCA strikes but sometimes they don't live enough to help you out in the mission. That's the fun of the mission.

The real thing is the power issue.

The BioLabs have been addressed in its own thread and the author didn't change it.

touché, my friend.  Just fixed the .bin, although I plan on revisiting the .ini someday to make the GDI base worth destroying and maybe making it Nod mission 9 of my campaign.  And RC I regret to inform you this can't be speedran in it's current state, you just gotta survive until the GDI scientist arrives.  But everybody else DL it and rip it apart! ;)

BIOLAB DOWNLOAD

And naturally if you find any bugs or think it sucks let me know-- I appreciate any kind of feedback!

EDIT: Oh, I just realized you might have been talking about LKO's biolabs in this mission... derp a derp a doo!!

About your Biolab mission - Don't forget to update in your own thread.

\edit - updated in the collection.

About LKO's Biolab mission - You and RC are right - if there is no spoiler adverting the mission is broken, it can be frustrating thus making the player claims it is very broken, no matter how simple it is to solve it.