How to install Red Alert 1 on Windows XP Vista 7 8 10 Linux MAC. 32 / 64bit

FunkyFr3sh

Well, in the meanwhile I tried the Full-CD installation, and it works. The main menu now has the 'Expansion Missions' option, and the ants campaign works (it didn't in the Mini-CD installation).

But I'd still like to know how to make the Mini-CD installation work. The Full-CD wastes about 1GB of HD space.

I have the original CDs of Red Alert, Counterstrike and Aftermath, but they will not install under Window 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

How do I install these disks? I don't mind if I have to use DOS Box, but I'd prefer to download a few things to make the CDs work, rather then messing about with isos and freeware and big downloads etc. I've already had the game for about 24 years and I just want to play it.

I tried making all the exe files compatible with Win 95, but nothing works.

Cheers!

(EDIT. OOF! I think I just found the correct installer on page 1. This will install all 3 of my disks?)

Edited by Shadowblade

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I havethe  following problem:

The videos remain in english regardless if I choose "German (uncensored)" or "German (censored)" while the game will play the german voices for the units and all the text is german too.

I tried patching the "First Decade" version that I have and I tried using a complete seperate installation with the "Full Web-Installation CD 1 & 2" option. On both the videos will remain in english.

Of course both "German censored" and "uncensored" options were ticked as well in the installer.

• 10 months later...
On 1/5/2015 at 1:18 AM, FunkyFr3sh said:

I don't think i heard about such a problem before. The game crahsh could be related to the fact that cnc-ddraw is missing, try Procedue I again and ensure that cnc-ddraw is enabled in the video option of the red alert config program

Hey there, trying to install red alert on Lenovo x260 core i5 6th gen with windows 10, but encountering with the similar issue, can you please help me to solve this issue? Thanks

• 5 months later...

I just tried this patch on the new Steam release of classic RA1 in the Ultimate Collection as the fresh install wouldn't even start on my windows 7 machine (yeah yeah I know, I'll update soon). The installer correctly detected the steam install of RA1 and applied the patch. That got the game running however when I tried to start the main campaign I got an error saying "unable to read scenario" so presumably there's some difference in the new steam version that the patch doesn't like and things break.

7 hours ago, Blake00 said:

I just tried this patch on the new Steam release of classic RA1 in the Ultimate Collection as the fresh install wouldn't even start on my windows 7 machine (yeah yeah I know, I'll update soon). The installer correctly detected the steam install of RA1 and applied the patch. That got the game running however when I tried to start the main campaign I got an error saying "unable to read scenario" so presumably there's some difference in the new steam version that the patch doesn't like and things break.

Seems like the patch and Steam version isn't quite compatible.

To fix this after you installed the patch you need to go to your RA dir, rename or copy MAIN1.MIX to MAIN.MIX.

If some movies are missing you may need this.
https://downloads.cncnet.org/ra-movies-10.zip

Download and extract to RA directory.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2024 at 1:09 AM, Tore said:

Seems like the patch and Steam version isn't quite compatible.

To fix this after you installed the patch you need to go to your RA dir, rename or copy MAIN1.MIX to MAIN.MIX.

If some movies are missing you may need this.
https://downloads.cncnet.org/ra-movies-10.zip

Download and extract to RA directory.

Renaming MAIN1.MIX to MAIN.MIX did it! It's working! I can start the campaigns with the patched Steam version now! Thank you so much! :)

Not sure if I need the movies though as I notice the steam copy's "MAIN2.MIX" appears to be the exact same file size (down to the byte) as your "MOVIES-10.MIX" so maybe just renaming one to the other will get the job done if I have any movie troubles (none yet though).

Edited by Blake00