How to install Red Alert 1 on Windows XP Vista 7 8 10 Linux MAC. 32 / 64bit

FunkyFr3sh

On 1/26/2019 at 7:40 AM, yjfyy said:

I am translating this game into Chinese and have completed the original task.
Germanlanguagepack.mix for the Allied mission
Germancensoredlanguagepack.mix for the Soviet mission
Germanuncensoredlanguagepack.mix for skirmish
I hope that I can support several language packs for games, such as chineselanguagepack1, chineselanguagepack2, 3, and 4.

germanlanguagepack.mix

germancensoredlanguagepack.mix

germanuncensoredlanguagepack.mix

Can't have all of them in 1 pack? Can you explain why there are multiple ones needed?

Did you keep a-z A-Z in the font? (for multiplayer chat..)

23 minutes ago, FunkyFr3sh said:

Can't have all of them in 1 pack? Can you explain why there are multiple ones needed? 

There are more than 3000 common characters in Chinese

RA can only support 256 characters of ascii, so I put the characters used for allied missions into ASCII font, so that RA can display Chinese.

One package can't fit all the game text, so I hope I can add a few more packages to guide different parts of the game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

中文常用字符有3000多个
ra只能支持ascii的256个字符,所以我把盟军任务用到的字符放入ascii字库里面,这样ra就可以显示中文了。
一个包没办法放入全部游戏文字,所以我希望可以多加几个包,来引导不同的游戏部分

On 12/25/2017 at 5:20 AM, FunkyFr3sh said:

2k should be working fine. 4k is crashing the game, anything that's bigger than the max map size doesn't work. Max resolution is somewhere around 3000*3000 I think. I don't have a 4k screen to test this

Haha, though it is a bit late, i was finally able to test this now that 4k screens are cheap. I always come back to Red Alert every 2-3 years as its one of my favorite games.

You are right about the resolution not being able to go above 3000. I was able to get 3000x2160 to work just fine, but anything above that would load the game and just show me a fully shrouded map . I could still select the MCV but i couldn't see anything. Is this a limitation of the game engine or just something you have to redo for the mod? 

3000x2160p is enough to show about 3/4th - 3/5ths of a MEGA (is this an Aftermath only size?) sized map.

3000x21602.jpg

Edited by capsulej

58 minutes ago, capsulej said:

Haha, though it is a bit late, i was finally able to test this now that 4k screens are cheap. I always come back to Red Alert every 2-3 years as its one of my favorite games.

You are right about the resolution not being able to go above 3000. I was able to get 3000x2160 to work just fine, but anything above that would load the game and just show me a fully shrouded map . I could still select the MCV but i couldn't see anything. Is this a limitation of the game engine or just something you have to redo for the mod?

3000x2160p is enough to show about 3/5ths of a MEGA (is this a Aftermath only size?) sized map.

Not sure why there's a limit, I always thought it was related to the size of the maps but never debugged it...

Been playing around with it recently too, you can actually go up to 3200x2160, but it's unplayable... You can still take advantage of your 4k monitor though, if you have a recent installation of red alert you'll be able to use shaders to scale the game to 4k now which looks pretty nice and is actually playable :)

Yeah it works fine, everything is just way too small which is making it almost impossible to play the game properly.

Support for shaders was added as an update for RA a couple months ago, you can use them to add effects on top of your game or scale the game with a good quality to high resolutions such as 4k.

If you have a good graphics card, try the settings below for 3x scaling 1280x720 -> 3840x2160

image.pngimage.png

• 5 weeks later...

Amazing the commitment you have shown to keep this game around and playable for those who still wish to enjoy it, just wanted to show some love :)

PS. After using your installer to patch over my TFD red alert, my game wouldn´t launch at all,  a restart fixed it tho, not sure what the issue was.

• Like 1

I've just tried to add the Retaliation videos (French version) and they can play well.

However, I've the impression that they are way too compressed and quality is low compared to the other videos.

I've the PS1 Retaliation game in French. So if someone provides me with the instructions on how to do, I can extract it with better quality maybe...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The link to the Aftermath/PSX music pack is broken...

And, you might want to mention those also contain the missing ant videos -_-

On 5/25/2019 at 10:10 AM, Dasha said:

I've just tried to add the Retaliation videos (French version) and they can play well.

However, I've the impression that they are way too compressed and quality is low compared to the other videos.

I've the PS1 Retaliation game in French. So if someone provides me with the instructions on how to do, I can extract it with better quality maybe...

The problem is that they are mpeg on the original CDs, and needed to be recompressed to VQA to play them in RA. There's really no way around the quality loss.

On 1/20/2020 at 9:46 PM, Nyerguds said:

I recreated the Counterstrike/aftermath media pack with the music, ant vids, and the bonus PSX music (well, I just extracted it from Sole Survivor).

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jcipr9nkw91i237/reta-exp-music-vids.zip/file

Bonus music still won't work right though; the internal handling of that music.ini is a mess.

I was just wondering if the RA1 HQ OST (mentioned elsewhere 'round these parts) might work with this. I take it your personal collection of RA1 music tracks are all the highest quality available?

I moved the HQ OST to my installation the other night and noticed a BIG difference in sound quality. As an artist and music lover, it's one of the main reasons I still love the C&C games :) Gonna have to reinstall though, as I think I'm missing the 3.03b patch or something. Might have wound up with an older installer somehow or another.

I greatly appreciate all the work that has gone into the various installers from various parties since some of the Westwood games went free. Very cool having easy access to all my favorite classics. Thanks everyone!

Oh! Is it possible to add the higher quality music tracks to MAIN.MIX with the mix editor?

Edited by Terrapin2190

If you mean the extra tracks, yea, we got them in CD quality, as Redbook CD audio tracks on the Sole Survivor CD. So someone just needs to use the tools and convert 'em.

Doesn't change the fact that the music.ini in Iran's patch doesn't work, though :P

On 1/28/2020 at 2:32 AM, Terrapin2190 said:

I think I'm missing the 3.03b patch or something. Might have wound up with an older installer somehow or another.

Um. The installer is literally in the first post here in this thread.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2019 at 4:32 PM, FunkyFr3sh said:

Did you keep a-z A-Z in the font? (for multiplayer chat..)

I kept a-z A-Z

Standard ASCII characters I haven't changed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have installed and uninstalled several times with the same error message. Windows 10 not sure. Get the same error " Loadlibrary failed with error 126: The specified module could not be found."

CNC Error.png

• 1 month later...

Hey guys. I have a strange bug when loading a save game, the music turns off and you have to manually turn it on in the game or restart the same save game again and then it starts up from the very first track in the list. Why doesn’t the music start automatically? Please tell me how to cure it.

• 5 months later...

Hi.

First, Thanks for the amazing work!

Second, I have the four ISO files of the original game and the two expansions. I have Windows 10, so I figured I need this installer. I chose the Mini-CD installation, to save space on the HD. The original Allied and Soviet campaignes work fine, as well as the Flame Dancer mod (in the main menu, under 'Custom Missions'). But I found no way to get to the counterstrike and aftermath missions! How do I do that?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Where do I find the 'Expansions Missions'? The game's main menu has Custom Missions (which only has the Flame Dancer missions), Start New Game (the original Allied and Soviet campaigns), Multiplayer Game etc. There's no 'Expansions' option!

The Launcher menu has 'Offline Playing', 'Online Playing' etc. - no 'Expansions' options here either.

In the game's folder I found another lancher, which indeed leads to a main menu with different options. There indeed is an option 'CounterStrike Missions', but it gives an empty list. No missions...

Also, the Skirmish missions don't allow the new units. From the main menu, Multiplayer->Skirmish gives the old missions of the 90's, as if I've installed the first two CD's without the expansions. In launcher's menu there's a Skirmish option too, but it doesn't work at all. It complains about the co-CD patch, asks me to copy main.mix to the game folder, and then complains there's no online connection (which is true. That computer is offline). When I try to launch a skirmish missions after that, it gives the game's screen, but its main part (the main map) it totally black, and then it freezes.

Thanks a lot again!