How to install Red Alert 1 on Windows XP Vista 7 8 10 Linux MAC. 32 / 64bit

FunkyFr3sh

a crash dump file with the name ra95crash.dmp has been save give it to iran for debugging thankx.  what should i do with this?

you can find the "ra95crash.dmp" file in your game folder. You can upload it here or somewhere else and I have a look into it.

I guess it's just a random crash that happens sometimes? Or doesn't your game work at all?

Try to provide as many information as possible, like, what were you doing exactly, playing singleplayer? what mission?

Do you use windows or linux? etc...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Using this installer, I can't install it into any other folder but the default first decade folder. I initially moved all my FD files into another folder and tried to install over those, but the installer refused to let me change the install directory (despite both readme and the op claiming that I can). Even after deleting the original First Decade folder and just using the full web installation instead the installer still insists on installing everything in the original First Decade folder.

I eventually gave up, did the web installation into the First Decade folder and manually moved the files into the desired directory, but then when I try to play offline the game crashes (crashdump included as an attachment).

ra95crash.dmp

Using this installer, I can't install it into any other folder but the default first decade folder. I initially moved all my FD files into another folder and tried to install over those, but the installer refused to let me change the install directory (despite both readme and the op claiming that I can). Even after deleting the original First Decade folder and just using the full web installation instead the installer still insists on installing everything in the original First Decade folder.

I eventually gave up, did the web installation into the First Decade folder and manually moved the files into the desired directory, but then when I try to play offline the game crashes (crashdump included as an attachment).

Why can't you change it? Is the "Browse" button not showing the folder browser dialog?

Or did you actually change the folder and it ignored the change?

The button is disabled on linux/Mac, but on windows it should work.

The Browse button simply never shows up. I get the License Agreement, followed by the installation instructions, then I'm asked which type of installation I want and finally (after choosing a mirror if I'm doing the web installation) I get the confirmation screen which tells me it's about to install in the First Decade directory. At no point am I even asked which directory I want to install in.

EDIT: And I'm running this on win 10

yeah, the 3rd and 4th screens (after the readme stuff) simply don't show up at all. It just skips straight to the installation options.

I even checked to see if tfd was still in the program and features list (it was) and uninstalled it from there. This took out a lot of the files I had moved so I wiped them all as well. The installer still won't allow me to choose.

EDIT: I tried the online mode installer and it allowed me to choose my own directory, but the campaign installer still insists on the TFD directory

Here's a thought:

Does the installer create a registry item or something similar that remembers what directory you ask it to install into?

I used to have my games installed in the standard First Decade folder before deciding I wanted to have them in a folder outside the Program Files (x86) directory. It's very possible I used the installer at least once before that.

I tried cleaning the registry using cCleaner in case the installer was using old registry items to decide where to install, but that didn't work.

EDIT: FIXED IT!

Though I do not recommend doing what I did at all.

Basically I scoured through regedit and deleted anything that contained the old install-path. Now when I run the installer it allows me to choose where to install. It even had the new location as the default!

Thanks for taking your time to look into this.

• 4 weeks later...

He needs the .iso files, freeware .rar release files or cd's . Start RA1installer and make sure to select the CD installation. Browse to the folder where he got the files (or select the CD drive)

He could also just install it on a pc that has a internet connection, then copy the game folder to a usb stick and carry it around. The folder is fully portable, he can just copy it to another pc

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it's directly caused by the patch or if it has been fixed since, but one of the variations of the vanilla Allied mission where you rescue Tanya from the Prison/Tech Center/Multipurpose Orb Building has the AI building Yaks as soon as your Spy enters the building, and they attack her, making the mission virtually impossible.

Not sure if it's directly caused by the patch or if it has been fixed since, but one of the variations of the vanilla Allied mission where you rescue Tanya from the Prison/Tech Center/Multipurpose Orb Building has the AI building Yaks as soon as your Spy enters the building, and they attack her, making the mission virtually impossible.

I only added 1 modified map that didn't work in 3.03, tried to keep everything as original as possible. Iran changed a bunch of maps in PortableRA, will have to look if he might have fixed that one

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

First i'd like to say a big thank you for this installer, it's great. I was able to run the game on XP and Vista normally but my current win 7 64 bit needed this version so bad.

There's one thing i didn't really get. How do i use some extra money help with rules.ini? Do i edit it or do i edit the spawn.xdp? I changed the cost for each allied countries to 0, but it seems to work only in skirmish. Am i doing something wrong? Is it possible to make it work in single player campaign? Is there another way to give you a lot of money in the beginning?

Also i have another question: is it possible to skip missions? This week i managed to go through about 5 missions on my old PC, but the old saves won't work.

Thanks again for this 'remake' and sorry for noob questions ;)

Hi everyone,

First i'd like to say a big thank you for this installer, it's great. I was able to run the game on XP and Vista normally but my current win 7 64 bit needed this version so bad.

There's one thing i didn't really get. How do i use some extra money help with rules.ini? Do i edit it or do i edit the spawn.xdp? I changed the cost for each allied countries to 0, but it seems to work only in skirmish. Am i doing something wrong? Is it possible to make it work in single player campaign? Is there another way to give you a lot of money in the beginning?

Also i have another question: is it possible to skip missions? This week i managed to go through about 5 missions on my old PC, but the old saves won't work.

Thanks again for this 'remake' and sorry for noob questions ;)

For the campaign you'll need to modify the rules.ini file, for cncnet skirmish/online/LAN you need to modify spawn.xdp

I think some values can't be modified in missions, but I didn't really try it though. Maybe try to find some other values, you could just make your tanks stronger or something like that :D

The installer offers you to install all savegames, but if you missed that then just download them here:

http://downloads.cncnet.org/updates/ra1installer/svwra303.zip

Thanks for your answer.

I messed with the .ini file a bit but the most i can get of it is free buildings and units for a newly started campaign. It won't work for the saves i downloaded from where you showed me. Too bad, i started over again. It's not bad, i need one more mission to reach yesterday. Anyway thanks.

Maybe someone comes up with adding big amounts of money to any gameplay with this version.

I loved the old trainer with the Page Down key :)

Thanks anyway

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, thanks for all the info, I was wondering if you are able to play the hidden ant missions with this modded version of red alert?  I tried to hold down shift and click on the speaker but it does nothing, thanks for any help?

Hello, thanks for all the info, I was wondering if you are able to play the hidden ant missions with this modded version of red alert?  I tried to hold down shift and click on the speaker but it does nothing, thanks for any help?

Probably because of the high resolution - it means the place to click isn't on that speaker anymore. Click around a bit and you'll find it.

(Sorry for my inglish not very well, i'm italian, i hope that you understand what i write)

I installed red alert1 with "ra1installer", but i can't play offline...why?

I want to play red alert 1 campagne.... (play online no problem)

Thanks a lot :D