DOS interface mod for RA95

Iran

Does anyone want to do a DOS interface mod for RA95? I know how to have the cameo icons in the sidebar remap with the colour you're playing as, which RA1 DOS didn't support but C&C1 DOS did. I also know how to change the text a on the Options button, credit count etc a bit. I think the issue is just the font on those buttons?

So who's up for the challenge, if completed properly I'll add it as an option to my patch ;)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you want to do a DOS mod most of the old low res icons are set up for remap. A few would have to be cleaned up but it shouldn't be too hard. It would also work to resize the old low res icons as they are half the size of the hi res. They should resize up with out doing major pixelation.

Yes. I'm guessing that the Ore Silo was to be an Oil Silo. Also the Ship icons use the beta coloring. The ship's deck is remap and the superstructure is gray.

I did a set of the Beta Ships

http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=1690.0

http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=1688.0

http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=1686.0

http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=1687.0

I added the beta ships to my patch a few days ago, didn't release yet.

I noticed how the AI in Red Dawn seems to work better than Stock RA1 AI...the RULES.INI notes for AI settings says the AI was written for C&C1, that might explain.

Thats fine. Was just pointing out to r34ch that the ship icons are also old beta as well.

I think it helps over all that the AI builds more kinds of land units. Also the AttackInterval= AttackDelay= are bumped up. This was done to keep the AI from jamming up there own base on small maps or tight areas of there base.

Did the icons work for you?

Haven't tried yet. Thanks for doing the conversions and upscaling. When I did my testing I just modified the game in memory with a debugger, I'll write some code to do it properly later today probably and I'll test them.

What other interface changes would need to be done for a DOS interface mod?

"The tabs.shp needs to have the gold circles removed. You can see them on the Options and Credits tabs."

Why? The DOS tabs are completely different.

I was also thinking about taking the DOS version of graphics that are largely the same (e.g. the repair icon with the wrench on it) and upscaling it where possible, for the authentic pixelated DOS experience.

The soldiers I had to do Remap for or else there face would be remap as well. How things got dithered I don't know..

Here is a new set that fixes that...

Actually, the infantry icons are simply not supposed to remap. They don't remap in DOS C&C1, either, meaning any remap colours on them are irrelevant. The icon system should simply skip remapping on them ;)

Iran

If all lores files are half the size of the the hires files like icons it shouldn't be too hard to resize them up.

Nyerguds

I didn't know that and it looks like Iran didn't as well as he made his infantry icons remap-able as you can see in the screen shot.

Nyerguds

I didn't know that and it looks like Iran didn't as well as he made his infantry icons remap-able as you can see in the screen shot.

He didn't even apply the red secondary colour for Nod on C&C1. He just enabled the remapping without any tweaking, while the logic in DOS C&C, like all of the game, is actually full of exceptions.