SUGGESTION: Force low reso

Jonttu

I know I'm prolly starting to piss off Nyerguds and the rest but try and hear me out.

What this is about, is a game option that forces all players to use a certain (perhaps DOS-level) low resolution to play a game. Where this could mostly be used would probably be competitive game environments and tournament matches.

It would make it more difficult for all parties, sure, though it would also give some purpose to a Comm Center, since you no longer can always see most of or the entire map (theoretically possible).

This idea has been in my mind for a while and the inspiration comes from Populous: The Beginning (another Great, tho almost forgotten RTS).

Again, I wouldn't know how to implement it but thought I'd share the idea.

Does not seems hard to implement. what can be done is make ra1launcher edit conquer.ini before it launches C&C, change the resolution, and instantly launch the game. As far I know, the player can not change the resolution ingame. Some checks are needed if the file is write-only, that would bypass the force low-res. also do some check in the game .exe to see if the strings related with the video options are unchanged. It would still be cheatable trough, maybe there are ways better to implement it :P

I might also add that ontop of forcing a reso such as the DOS one or a slightly bigger (but lower than C&C Gold) it should also use the original aspect ratio.

The point of all of this is that no one has the advantage when it comes to resolution. Someone who can see the entire map obviously has the advantage. Not to mention that the higher resos, albeit unintentional, actually have a game changing effect (think Comm Center for example)! If you can't imagine how it would affect gameplay, maybe you should see how Weaver for example plays: C&C95 - Blistering Sands [CnCNet]

I might also add that ontop of forcing a reso such as the DOS one or a slightly bigger (but lower than C&C Gold) it should also use the original aspect ratio.

You can't go below Windows 640x400. The game can't handle it.

Anyway, there's no resolution forcing in TS either. Never bothered many people afaik.

Well give it some thought. Maybe some day if you find the time...

I think it's a pretty good idea, especially for tourneys etc.

I guess it has to be that reso then. The smallest possible.

Thx.

PS. When do you think rev4 (or whatever the next version is) will come out?

Well give it some thought. Maybe some day if you find the time...

Actually, this is a suggestion to FunkyFr3sh, not Nyerguds, since he is the guy who are developing the CnCNet v5 Graphical User Interface. It can be implemented wihout Nyerguds's help

i always play in 640x400(or 480 i switch randomly for no reason at all, i don't really see the difference, maybe few units). i think it would give advantage to players that are used to smaller resolutions(i got used to small from DOS and was annoyed when CC95 didn't have that small resolution XD)

i always play in 640x400(or 480 i switch randomly for no reason at all, i don't really see the difference, maybe few units). i think it would give advantage to players that are used to smaller resolutions(i got used to small from DOS and was annoyed when CC95 didn't have that small resolution XD)

Well if it gives advantages to those used to small resos, they kinda deserve em right? The only thing I'm really interested in, other than the balance (everyone has to play same reso), is whether or not it would serve some purpose for the comm-center. Would you still ever need a map to look at to see whether or not your enemy is about to attack and surprise you while you're not looking or from a different side?

Comm. centre would definately be more useflul. I tend to keep it when I build it, even though I play in 800x592 (hint: 592 fits exactly 8 icons in the sidebar). It is mostly useful for spotting that lone APC taking the back route to your base, choppers landing, stealths appearing, that kind of thing.

I find I rarely build a communications centre ever

partly because I have a fairly large resolution so I probably don't need the radar too much but also because I find the $1000 could be more effectively used for getting another mammoth/light tank.

interesting....  I play in 1280x800 and only build comm center when I want the tech that comes with it (then I usually sell it for $$ and minigunners).  I played c&c dos recently and there it is absolutely necessary. as far as forcing low reso, I know I wouldn't want to have to change mine as I've grown accustomed to it.  I don't know about forcing it, but maybe just being able to see what reso people use and not playing them if you're a real stickler about it.  Keep in mind (I think) Lovehandles uses 640x400 and he kicks my ass whenever we play so I think skill trumps resolution 9 out of 10 times.  I know it's impossible, but I wish I could try a cncnet game in the original dos resolution-- now there would be an entirely new experience!!

only nyerguds can do it, so please keep annoying him and leave me alone

I can't, actually. I can give you a 640x480 forcing command line parameter, but if they got any cnc-ddraw settings enabled, the result might be royally screwed up.