Cloakable buildings (RA1)

Riddler

Yeah, I didn't know you could get the infantry to cloak. Or maybe I'm thinking of TD

(yes, I'm aware that everything can cloak with a crate. I'm talking about modding so that it has that attribute upon production).

Stealth thieves sound OP as hell, haha (well, maybe not as OP as stealth Tanya/engineer, but still)

-Liam

Yeah, I didn't know you could get the infantry to cloak. Or maybe I'm thinking of TD

(yes, I'm aware that everything can cloak with a crate. I'm talking about modding so that it has that attribute upon production).

You can change it to "Cloakable=yes" and it works. With buildings it doesn't.

Stealth thieves sound OP as hell, haha (well, maybe not as OP as stealth Tanya/engineer, but still)

You can have units/structures with "Sensors=yes" to counter them :)

Ah, didn't know infantry had it too. I'm not really a RA1 modder :P

Technically they can, but in reality it's only exposed to the ini side in boats and vehicles.

What do you mean? There is a way of modding stuff, other then changing its .ini?

Of course there is. It's the way all editing has always been done in C&C1, namely, editing the exe file with a disassembler / hex editor.

But I wasn't referring to that at all. With "technically they can" I just meant that technically the game supports cloaking these kinds of game objects, as proven by the fact stealth crates affect them. Those stealth crates just flick the "is cloaked" switch on these game objects. As I said in my first reply, there are simply no ini keys for cloaking them by default, since the type definitions in rules.ini just contain a very limited subset of the full list of these game objects' options. Many of those would be related to internal programming anyway, and not useful for editing.

Besides the Phase Transport in the Aftermath expansion, though, the only cloaked unit in Red Alert 1 is the Submarine.

• 2 weeks later...

It is possible to cloak specified preplaced buildings in a map, but its even compilcated...

1. Place a silver crate next to the building. Set the SilverCrate tag to Cloak in your map's ini. Maybe increase the range of the crate effect.

2. Place one waypoint under the crate and another waypoint 2 cells beside the crate.

3. Choose a unused house, ally it to the buildings' owner house. PlayerControl must be =yes for that house or the civilian won't pick up the crate.

4. Place the civilian on the map, on the waypoint beside the crate.

5. Make a teamtype with the civilian moving to the waypoint under the crate and then leaving the map.

6. Add a trigger to create the team.

7. If necessary, add Bib=no for your structure.

I have made a mission where I cloaked an entire base on this way. ;)

It is possible to cloak specified preplaced buildings in a map, but its even compilcated...

1. Place a silver crate next to the building. Set the SilverCrate tag to Cloak in your map's ini. Maybe increase the range of the crate effect.

2. Place one waypoint under the crate and another waypoint 2 cells beside the crate.

3. Choose a unused house, ally it to the buildings' owner house. PlayerControl must be =yes for that house or the civilian won't pick up the crate.

4. Place the civilian on the map, on the waypoint beside the crate.

5. Make a teamtype with the civilian moving to the waypoint under the crate and then leaving the map.

6. Add a trigger to create the team.

7. If necessary, add Bib=no for your structure.

I have made a mission where I cloaked an entire base on this way. ;)

I've actually seen that happen in a regular modem game years ago when I started playing Tiberian Dawn.

My friend and I were playing against each other. Suddenly, he freaks out... half of his base was cloaked. He never saw it happened. We figured that a stealth crate appeared in the middle of his base and a harvester picked it up cloaking several buildings in the process. The only thing you could see was the dirt in front of the structures.

Best part is in C&C1 if your construction yard gets cloaked it resets the building in progress, this also happens every time it pops up because its taken damage, so the unfortunate person who has this cant build anything when under attack. fun.

I don't know if this applies to Weapons Factory/ Airstrip/Barracks etc, I had this happen once before and it was rather annoying :P

Best part is in C&C1 if your construction yard gets cloaked it resets the building in progress, this also happens every time it pops up because its taken damage, so the unfortunate person who has this cant build anything when under attack. fun.

I don't know if this applies to Weapons Factory/ Airstrip/Barracks etc, I had this happen once before and it was rather annoying :P

That's something I didn't know!

That sounds like a really funny bug :P

Stealth harv is awesome... among many other things. (Stealth copters... not sure if I've ever seen it)

-Liam

I've actually seen the harvester cloaked. It happened in one of my games and I happened to pick a color that made my units appear to blend with the map on the top right corner.

My opponent wiped out my base. Because there was no refinery to go back to, the harvester stopped... in the middle of a tiberium patch. I picked the same color as the tiberium. I looked at the map to see where my unit was, but I just couldn't find it. I eventually quit the game after teasing my opponent a bit. ;)