The best of C&C (FInal Round)

zocom7

I was really wanting to do this last year, but wasn't willing to do it until now. Although Methuselah was interested what I told about this on, neither other administrator nor moderator in GR.org are willing to participate for this special event in this so-called C&C March Madness poll. Now that C&C is nearly dead all except for the ones in TA and C&C Online, I guess this is something I think the C&C community should have had some time ago.

Final Round of the Best of C&C bracket is up: http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index.php?showtopic=960382

Hmm... aren't we missing a few?

The Covert Operations, Counterstrike, The Aftermath, and Retaliation?

Let's not forget those secret missions... Dinosaurs and Giant Ants! (They probably don't really matter as they're part of The Covert Operations and Counterstrike. :)

Umm... Covert Ops and Counterstrike are just mission packs, really. They don't really show up as games. And the latest release version of RA kind of just contains the Aftermath units, so I'm not sure you can still consider RA without AM as separate game anyway.

Anyway. Tiberian Dawn Über Alles!

Odd to distinguish between "C&C1 (Nyerguds version)" and Covert Ops... since my version not only includes the covert ops, but actually expands it with the console missions :P

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I actually like the 16-game version better because it emphasizes Westwood versus EA.

It's like saying, "Do you want the Big Mac or the Big Mac combo?" ;)

PSX C&C RA Retaliation is 70% compared to irans version at 30%

I guess watered down graphics, 5 fps frame-rate and using a controller with buttons beats HD, extra features, fixes and online multiplayer.

ccccooooonnnnnnnssssssstttttttrrrrrrruuuuuuuccccccctttttttiiiiiiooooooonnnnnnnn ccccoooooooommmmmmmmmpppplllllleeeeeeettttttteeeeee

Nostalgia beats all eh  ;)

(same rant for nyerguds' version)

C&C1 for the story

RA1 for the gritiness

Generals for the balance

Yes, generally speaking the seedings are in need of a serious overhaul.

Also, I find it hilarious how Kane's Wrath proper (i.e. the PC version) got eliminated, but the XBOX360 version advanced to the next round... if EA still cared about the series, their marketing execs could use this as an argument for some of the hogwash they like to push (such as, how supposedly console games are vastly superior and the PC as gaming platform should just die).

This seems pretty pointless.  Games are usually best on the system they're designed for .  PC games that play best with keyboard and mouse and are most modifiable are best on PC whether it's this RTS games or a First Person Shooter.  Console games are usually best on their original system.  For years PC gaming suffered from really awful gamepads and only flight type joysticks, not arcade style for fighting games.  Emulation took awhile to get better.  Now a lot is close to perfect and USB adapters to use actual console controls such as SNES or PSX are great.  I have some actual arcade perfect sticks for SNES I can use now.  There's still some quality about playing games on their actual hardware though.  Except I hate playing on little portable screens but DS emulation is slow for me so on the actual system is the only way to go there.

I can only think of three examples  of a redeeming quality in a console port of a PC game:

Hexen for N64 is four player splitscreen on one system - pretty convenient!  But a four player game on PC is better.

Doom for SNES has really great sounding music with its sound system, but otherwise that version sucked and happens to be the first I played before having a PC.

The Atari Jaguar version of Wolfenstein apparently including Spear of Destiny had twice the resolution sprites, but unfortunately less frames of animation.  The four-armed Úber Mutant looks freaking badass!  Of course these gfx have been ripped to be put in Wolfenstein and Doom mods on PC.

Anyway, I played RA two players on PSX once (using the serial cable with two systems and two TV's) at a friend's house once.  I picked a naval level, let a guy's mammoth tanks run into my mine field and blew up his base with cruisers.  And my friend had me help him with a single player mission where you have air units and there was a bunch of anti-air.  Aside from control just being crappy with a gamepad, they really screwed something up.  I couldn't tell the aircraft to go anywhere that wasn't a target.  So instead of clicking places away from anti-air to sneak around, you had to just go straight through and get blown up or destroy all the anti-air from the ground first.  It was just crappy compared to the PC version.

Two major problems with the voting system...

1.) You have to be a member of that board to vote. That's asking us here to go over there and join just so that we can vote.

2.) The votes are seriously biased. The name of the forum is "Zero Hour". Pretty much everything that goes on in there is related to "Zero Hour". So, the votes will likely be for "Zero Hour".

Unless you posted that in a forum where ALL of the C&C games get a fair share of publicity (and I don't know one that exists anyway) you can't get a fair result because of a baised crowd.

I can be certain if you made one here Red Alert would almost certainly win, for a similar reason.