Top 4 Mods?

VamPyroX

I was looking at the top 4 mods listed on CnCNet... Mental Omega - Dawn of the Tiberium Age - C&C Reloaded - Twisted Insurrectoin.

Could you tell me your opinion of these games?

I read the descriptions...

Mental Omega

- requires RA2 & YR

- instead of Yuri's Army, it's the Epsilon Army

- new missions & units

Is the Epsilon Army too similar to Yuri's Army or is it a whole new concept? Are the new units/missions worth it?

Dawn of the Tiberium Age

- no games required

- RA & TD done in TS style

Does this mean the game is an (almost) exact remake of TD & RA with the exception of the map grid being TS style (isometric)? Are there any removed or added to this game? Does it also include the expansion packs? What about the dinosaurs and giant ants?

C&C Reloaded

- RA2 & YR required

- new missions, new units, new faction

- NOD & GDI brought back

What's the story here? Is it a whole new story or was the story written to be similar to C&C universe? Is the gameplay similar (the GDI/NOD technology/units)?

Twisted Insurrectoin

- no games required

- TS redone with new story and new units

What's the story here? Is it a whole new story or from a different point of view? Are the new units that good?

Some good answers aside from checking out their web pages and videos:

Mental Omega...

Takes place after Yuri's Revenge I think.  Has some new campaigns I think.

The three sides are each divided into three more varied subfactions with many of their own units

US or European Allies or Pacific Front (seems like Japan+Korea)

Russia or China or the more guerrilla type Latin Confederation

Epsilon Headquarters, Psi-Corps, or Scorpion Cell (which has a lot of resemblance to Nod).

Pacific Front vs China might make for an interesting game of RA2 with an Asian twist on both sides.

The Yuri/Epsilon teams seem to be more well rounded complete armies compared to Yuri's Revenge.

Dawn of the Tiberium Age... (probably my favorite out of the four)

The four teams from Original C&C and RA1 with their original graphics.

Great new single player missions and a campaign.

Don't think there's any of the original C&C/RA missions recreated.

Maps look more like original C&C/RA but I've still seen TS's trains.

Differences:

A few Tiberian Sun and new units (Nod Cyborg Prototype, Repair Vehicle, Stealth APC, Hijacker, Termite (like Ticktank but with laser), Microwave Tank; GDI JumpJets from TS, X-O Powersuit based on original C&C2 preview, Commander with Railgun in single player mission, )

No Mine layers but Allies can build powerful anti-tank mines for $500 a piece.

No Chronosphere or Iron Curtain.  ChronoTanks at first appear translucent.  Click different places and they warp around.  Deploy it and it phases in and that's it - just that one initial chronoshift per a tank.

Phase Transport is a normal vehicle for Allies.

Soviets have Heavy APC and Volkov.

Soviets no longer have Tanya (makes sense and they have Volkov).

Nod can't build GDI's MRLS in multiplayer like in original C&C.

Soviets don't have helipad or hind but people probably always just used their airfields instead anyway.

Nod can build a stealth generater.

Nod can upgrade Advanced Power Plants for more power but they slowly take damage.

Everyone gets Mobile Sensor Array.

GDI has an airfield and A10 Warthog is buildable as regular unit.

No transport ships but you can tell Chinooks to pick up vehicles.  And Allies have Chinook even though they didn't in RA.

GDI and Nod gain Navies.

GDI has Gunboat and Cruiser.  (In a single player mission computer GDI had Aircraft carrier)

Nod has Patrol boat and Sea Shadow (which acts like a Dreadnought)

In Single player mission Nod has Scarab Speedboats and Laser Corvettes.

Allies Destroyer acts like RA Gunboat and Frigate acts like RA Destroyer.

If you choose starting reinforcements you get a little Flak Hovercraft that can go over water regardless of faction.

Once I got a Mobile SAM from a crate.

Some units you can only have one at a time and can only build another when it's destroyed:

GDI X-O Powersuit, Nod SSM Launcher and Cyborg Prototype, Allies Phase Transport, Soviet Volkov.

Has original C&C Viceroids and TS's Ion Storms.  I don't know if there's any Dinos or Ants though.

CnC Reloaded...

Tiberian Sun versions of GDI and Nod put into RA2 with some additional stuff to even them up.

One of the campaigns or at least most of one from TS is in it.  Forget if it's GDI or Nod one.

Didn't test GDI much yet but...

They have navies.  Both have Giant Jellyfish.  Nod has submarine and missile submarine.

Nod can build Pyramid for Tiberium Shower and EMP missile.

Nod also got a forcefield ability from something.

Twisted Insurrection:

A heavily redesigned GDI and Nod.  Story is based on outcome of Nod winning original C&C.

A third new faction - Globotech seems to be computer controlled only and not a selectable faction.

New campaigns and challenge missions.

Among these great mods I think should be Red Dawn which does the best job turning RA into original C&C1/TD. It's a stand alone game.  Nearly all of C&C missions converted to RA plus the Counterstrike and Aftermath missions adapted to the conversion of RA into TD. Has Dino funpark missions but the Ant Missions (at least the first one) is changed to defending an attack from Nod.  I don't know if Viceroids are in this mod at all though.

Few new units: IFV (APC with little tank turret & carries 6) for both sides, Advanced Light Tank and Chem Tank for Nod.  Actually have been messing with this mod/game most of all since I'm most into modding and mapping RA1 but like original C&C most.

I should probably check out Classic Revolution soon.

Some good answers aside from checking out their web pages and videos:

Mental Omega...

Takes place after Yuri's Revenge I think.  Has some new campaigns I think.

The three sides are each divided into three more varied subfactions with many of their own units

US or European Allies or Pacific Front (seems like Japan+Korea)

Russia or China or the more guerrilla type Latin Confederation

Epsilon Headquarters, Psi-Corps, or Scorpion Cell (which has a lot of resemblance to Nod).

Pacific Front vs China might make for an interesting game of RA2 with an Asian twist on both sides.

The Yuri/Epsilon teams seem to be more well rounded complete armies compared to Yuri's Revenge.

Dawn of the Tiberium Age... (probably my favorite out of the four)

The four teams from Original C&C and RA1 with their original graphics.

Great new single player missions and a campaign.

Don't think there's any of the original C&C/RA missions recreated.

Maps look more like original C&C/RA but I've still seen TS's trains.

Differences:

A few Tiberian Sun and new units (Nod Cyborg Prototype, Repair Vehicle, Stealth APC, Hijacker, Termite (like Ticktank but with laser), Microwave Tank; GDI JumpJets from TS, X-O Powersuit based on original C&C2 preview, Commander with Railgun in single player mission, )

No Mine layers but Allies can build powerful anti-tank mines for $500 a piece.

No Chronosphere or Iron Curtain.  ChronoTanks at first appear translucent.  Click different places and they warp around.  Deploy it and it phases in and that's it - just that one initial chronoshift per a tank.

Phase Transport is a normal vehicle for Allies.

Soviets have Heavy APC and Volkov.

Soviets no longer have Tanya (makes sense and they have Volkov).

Nod can't build GDI's MRLS in multiplayer like in original C&C.

Soviets don't have helipad or hind but people probably always just used their airfields instead anyway.

Nod can build a stealth generater.

Nod can upgrade Advanced Power Plants for more power but they slowly take damage.

Everyone gets Mobile Sensor Array.

GDI has an airfield and A10 Warthog is buildable as regular unit.

No transport ships but you can tell Chinooks to pick up vehicles.  And Allies have Chinook even though they didn't in RA.

GDI and Nod gain Navies.

GDI has Gunboat and Cruiser.  (In a single player mission computer GDI had Aircraft carrier)

Nod has Patrol boat and Sea Shadow (which acts like a Dreadnought)

In Single player mission Nod has Scarab Speedboats and Laser Corvettes.

Allies Destroyer acts like RA Gunboat and Frigate acts like RA Destroyer.

If you choose starting reinforcements you get a little Flak Hovercraft that can go over water regardless of faction.

Once I got a Mobile SAM from a crate.

Some units you can only have one at a time and can only build another when it's destroyed:

GDI X-O Powersuit, Nod SSM Launcher and Cyborg Prototype, Allies Phase Transport, Soviet Volkov.

Has original C&C Viceroids and TS's Ion Storms.  I don't know if there's any Dinos or Ants though.

CnC Reloaded...

Tiberian Sun versions of GDI and Nod put into RA2 with some additional stuff to even them up.

One of the campaigns or at least most of one from TS is in it.  Forget if it's GDI or Nod one.

Didn't test GDI much yet but...

They have navies.  Both have Giant Jellyfish.  Nod has submarine and missile submarine.

Nod can build Pyramid for Tiberium Shower and EMP missile.

Nod also got a forcefield ability from something.

Twisted Insurrection:

A heavily redesigned GDI and Nod.  Story is based on outcome of Nod winning original C&C.

A third new faction - Globotech seems to be computer controlled only and not a selectable faction.

New campaigns and challenge missions.

Among these great mods I think should be Red Dawn which does the best job turning RA into original C&C1/TD. It's a stand alone game.  Nearly all of C&C missions converted to RA plus the Counterstrike and Aftermath missions adapted to the conversion of RA into TD. Has Dino funpark missions but the Ant Missions (at least the first one) is changed to defending an attack from Nod.  I don't know if Viceroids are in this mod at all though.

Few new units: IFV (APC with little tank turret & carries 6) for both sides, Advanced Light Tank and Chem Tank for Nod.  Actually have been messing with this mod/game most of all since I'm most into modding and mapping RA1 but like original C&C most.

I should probably check out Classic Revolution soon.

Wow... thanks for the details. That explains a lot!

I'll have to check those out... as well as the others you mentioned.

You're welcome.  Also, a few more things.

In Dawn of Tiberium Age, Allies got a Mobile Flak Cannon that's pretty good.

Naval units might vary by map even among multiplayer maps.  In one I think Allies only had two ships and in another I think they had three.  Unless an update changed it.

Red Dawn has new missions aside from converted ones.

Scorpion Cell in Mental Omega also resembles Ordos from Dune2000.  They even have their Deviator.

Mental Omega...

Takes place after Yuri's Revenge I think.

It actually takes place after Red Alert 1. RA2 and YR don't exist in the MO timeline. But it's still in beta stages so who knows, maybe by the end of it there will be twists and turns with the use of the chronosphere or something and somehow have a connection with RA2's and YR's events :D.

Naval units might vary by map even among multiplayer maps.  In one I think Allies only had two ships and in another I think they had three.  Unless an update changed it.

Back in late February we released an update that completely overhauled naval combat, so yeah, an update did change it  ;)

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dawn-of-the-tiberium-age/news/dta-11408-released-latest-changes

Guest Mechacaseal

For Dawn of the Tiberium Age, what about the chrono vortex? Does that appear in the game?

I refuse to play that mod cause the Chinook doesnt have rotors lol. also, that vortex is not in it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just made a map mod for RA1 that combines Allies vs GDI vs Nod vs Soviet with two variations of GDI and two variations of Nod so the eight countries gives you something more like 6 different teams to choose from.

http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=3823

It uses C&C1 gfx provided in CnCNet/PortableRA's spawn1.mix.  I still can't believe how I juggled things and fit so much in.  So there's Chrono Vortexes and practically all RA has to offer.  The Ion Cannon is the only glaring omission and sometimes gfx of one game or the other.  I only had to sacrifice the mobile radar jammer and yak (for Spain GDI's A10 WartHog).  Been testing really well having epic battles on CnCNet.

I still recommend Red Dawn as a more complete RA to TD conversion with almost all TD gfx, sounds, the Ion Cannon, missions, Dinos, etc: http://www.cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=1588.0

Through your own map mods for it, the Iron Curtain and Chronosphere can be brought back into it.  Or for a possibly interesting twist, make them not buildable but place capturable versions in maps.  Aside from Chrono Tech level being lowered, the level of the building must be brought down from 99, even if it's still nonbuildable at -1.

I also recommend Dawn of the Tiberium Age for the most epic combination of the four teams with the Ion Cannon, classic Viceroids (with some behavior of the newer), and also great missions.

Ferret's Tiberium Alert map mods for RA also use a bunch of C&C1 gfx and improvises with the addition of rocket tanks and alters the game play with faster uncrushable infantry and stuff. http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=1982.0

For Dawn of the Tiberium Age, what about the chrono vortex? Does that appear in the game?

I refuse to play that mod cause the Chinook doesnt have rotors lol. also, that vortex is not in it.

And yet you play a game in which the Nod helicopter doesn't have rotors at all  :D

• 2 weeks later...