Let's Play Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn Redux

TaxOwlbear

I am struggling with Nod Mission 8 on Medium. The GDI units seem to vastly out number your initial force esp considering you have to expend funds on engineers to take over the "abandoned" base, maybe I am just missing something.  again great job on this project my brother Randy Greenback who was QA for the original C&C games at WestWood told me about this project.

Here's how I did it: When you fight the GDI troops between your starting position and the abandoned base, use the range of your rocket guys. You should be able to kill all GDI units without having them fight back. This way, you have a decent-sized force when you recover your base.

Once you have your base back, heal all units and put a bunch of them into your chopper. Land in the northeastern corner of the GDI base and take out whatever GDI units come to you. Bring in two engineers and take over the construction yard and the Tiberium refinery. Defend yourself with GDI guard towers; they are cheap and good against infantry and light vehicles.

Feel free to look thru and explore the dozens of beautifully constructed custom skirmish maps available too! The mappers who made the custom maps for the mod and converted the ones originally designed for the original Generals did a fantastic job! I had over a dozen contributors to have their maps reconstructed when I did the graphics overhaul for v1.3. They all turned out superb.

There is about 50 all new maps. A dozen or so of them are actually mine which were originally made for Generals. Campers Creek, European Wardogs, Desolate Villages, Ayers Rock, Cold Shores, and City On The Lake are a few off the top of my head that were community made maps.

Again great job on this project my brother Randy Greenback who was QA for the original C&C games at WestWood told me about this project.

This is fantastic to hear that the original Westwood guys seem impressed by this! (sorry I missed this post)

Are you sure? I could have sworn one had Tiberium vines.

True. All of the original Generals/ZH maps were converted and rethemed for use in the mod. As for the AI being broken I am not sure. Is your skirmishscripts.scb file intact? That file contains the entire AI system. For the mod it will be contained in the CCTDRDXAI.tdr file.

• 2 weeks later...

That will be addressed in a upcoming patch. Interesting enough the AI issues on those maps you mentioned seem to be random. Armored Fury is also broken. With some maps the GDI AI does not work and on others the Nod AI does not work. The difficulty settings don't make any difference either. This will be investigated further. Red Rock works well, however.

This is the strangest bug I have yet to encounter with this game. If you set the AI to the same team # as yourself on the maps (sandbox mode) they work just as they should building bases and armies. If not, they do nothing. Totally bizarre.

The 4-5 player maps seem alright. Of course most of the maps are maxed out at 2-4 players due to frame rate issues so they have endured more beta testing. In the past the Beta testers mostly avoided the larger maps due to the frame rate concerns with AI players. If the bug cannot be resolved I might have to disable the maps for skirmish matches until further notice.

I am gonna experiment with this fix as well for the AI framerate issues. Someone might have found a real solution without having to rewrite the cursed AI scripting and .INI files.

1) go to your Generals Sub Folder:

usually you can find it under something like "C:/Program Files(x86)/EA GAMES/Command & Conquer Generals - Zero Hour", or if you have The First Decade it's: "C:/Program Files(x86)/EA GAMES/Command & Conquer The First Decade/Command & Conquer Generals - Zero Hour")

2) right click -> properties

3) under category 'general' click on 'advanced' or 'extended'

4) disable check at "allow Windows to index data additionally to properties"

5) click 'apply'

6) enjoy C&C Generals without lag