Let's Play Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn Redux

TaxOwlbear

Yeah I tried to design infantry to have somewhat of an edge while applying/recycling some concepts from Generals. This is most apparent with the Engineer, Grenadier, and Commando who have several special abilities. Often in RTS games infantry are overlooked and dismissed as mere cannon fodder. Here they are not to be underestimated. One reason the Rocket Soldiers have such an insane range is due to the AI in Generals being hard coded to obsessively try running over infantry which can be annoying. For the Mod the weapon range code for Rocket Soldiers is carefully tuned to barely be just beyond most vehicles "vision range".

Engineer: Repairs vehicles, captures buildings, steals harvesters, disables other vehicles. (can also mimic RA2's IFV by turning an APC into a mobile repair vehicle)

Grenadier: Explosive Anti Infantry/Vehicle Grenades, also optional is the use of EMP Grenades for disabling Tanks & Buildings. Can clear garrisoned buildings.

Flamethrower: Can Clear Garrisoned Buildings.

Chem Warrior: Same as Flamethrower

Technician: Can hijack non weaponized vehicles (MCV & Harvester), disables buildings.

Commando: Depending on faction he can be stealthed, can be armed with either a sniper rifle or an anti-tank weapon. Blows up buildings with C4.

A lot of these features are only available with the full Tech Tree/Upgrades enabled or in Skirmish/Multiplayer games to keep it from being too easy.

This is how it should be. Infantry is often underpowered in RTS games, and no game accurately simulates combat anyway. A tank that is ambushed by several guys with rocket launchers is likely to be toast.

Real life tanks are technically artillery though. "Ambushed" means sneaking up close to it without the tank noticing. Not quite the same as outranging it.

Real life tanks are technically artillery though. "Ambushed" means sneaking up close to it without the tank noticing. Not quite the same as outranging it.

That's true, but we can't simulate that in most RTSs anyway - otherwise a lot of units would be able to shoot all across the map.

sgtmyers88, you are doing a splendid job.

About the ambush. This is some sort of stealth ability for any infantry. Tanks vision should not be able to see infantry right away. While if you take some infantry with your tank. You can spot the faster. Especially those with binoculars.

It happens a lot in cities though. Where the artillery effect would be dangerous if friendly troops are also moving in the city. Tumbling towers, reduced vision etc.

In the open, some bushes could contain hidden infantry.

Tanks on the other hand, should be ambushed easily. This through a "slow" first reaction to things up close. Slow enough to bite the dust before they can become a "deadly" threat. "out of range" in the opposite direction. Most tanks have a machine gun for this though.

The described above, is not possible with most RTS. Most RTS are actually a simulation to war. But trying to get the same end result is what designing the units is all about. That is why I support what you have decided upon.

Thanks. Oh and some tanks do actually gain a Machine Gun or Missile upgrade to deal with infantry or aircraft. It is only available in Skirmish/Multiplayer and it will cost you though.

Is it one upgrade for all? Or a separate upgrade for each tank? I hope you do the last one. Would be fair.

FYI for some odd reason it has been argued that the Medium AI is actually more aggressive than the Hard AI. It could partially be due to the fact that the Hard AI tends to Turtle early on in the game building massive amounts of base defenses before making swarms of assault forces while the Medium AI tends to rush A LOT which can easily overwhelm players who tend to screw around early on in the match.

Thanks. :)

The AI definitely know what it's doing. It'll never match good human players, obviously, but I think the game profits from the comparably small number of units types, and from the fact that it's less rock-paper-scissors like the original Generals (where everyone has a ground/air base defence, a basic tank, basic AA infantry...).

I am struggling with Nod Mission 8 on Medium. The GDI units seem to vastly out number your initial force esp considering you have to expend funds on engineers to take over the "abandoned" base, maybe I am just missing something.  again great job on this project my brother Randy Greenback who was QA for the original C&C games at WestWood told me about this project.