Did anyone notice...

Grant

200 online seems to be the new average on a weeknight, 7pm BST.

We'll look at a better recording of stats so we can see a more accurate result.

Sunday reached 265 online, long live YR  :yuri:  Well done everyone, keep doing what you do.

Long live YR. I see RA1 is doing fantastic too (300+ online). its unfortunate I aint a fan of it, but good thing I am fan of the middle terrain, meaning YR has right now the second biggest user count, TS being lower (which I aint a fan of either) and TD (probably just too old of a game).

Yes and soon we will have more posts under ra2/YR section on these forums than ra1, counter strike, and Tiberian dawn. Looks like Rampastrings been playing the wrong cncnet game this entire time.

Yeah honestly I wonder if it irritate him. His favourite CnC game and his mod in general seems to be a bit.. quiet. Its very fortunate though he's wishing to work during his valueble time on clients for games he's not the biggest fan of, and that will forever be very appreciated! :)

Yes and soon we will have more posts under ra2/YR section on these forums than ra1, counter strike, and Tiberian dawn.

From what I can see, that's mainly because the RA2/YR section has lower quality discussion in the form of drama, failed tournaments that contain more drama and client / game issue reports.

Yes and soon we will have more posts under ra2/YR section on these forums than ra1, counter strike, and Tiberian dawn. Looks like Rampastrings been playing the wrong cncnet game this entire time.

Yeah honestly I wonder if it irritate him. His favourite CnC game and his mod in general seems to be a bit.. quiet. Its very fortunate though he's wishing to work during his valueble time on clients for games he's not the biggest fan of, and that will forever be very appreciated! :)

It does sometimes make me sad, but I think DTA is doing reasonably well considering that we don't have the millions of dollars to spend on development and marketing that Westwood had back when they created RA1 and YR. We've been in ModDB's top 100 mod list for 2 years now, and that's a nice achievement already considering that ModDB has 27 744 mods. Also, despite the lack of online players it's usually possible to have some fun if you play on weekends or are just patient enough to wait some time in the lobby, or just invite some real-life friends; I have several friends who also play DTA so when I want to play I usually get one or more of them to join. Btw, viewing the mod from the perspective of online player count makes it seem a lot more quiet than it actually is. From update server activity we know that we have a lot of offline players. We also have our own discussion channels on ModDB and Project Perfect Mod, which are active as well.

I'm not really "irritated" about the number of online players. It's clear that the original Westwood games have a lot of faults. As you've seen, people here are constantly debating YR's balance flaws, whether Yuri should be allowed in tournaments and such. While regular players just accept the faults and keep on playing the game, sometimes inventing custom rules to "fix" the flaws ("no Yuri!"), the mentality among us modders is that we attempt to fix the issues. While fixing the issues, we also tend to enhance the game in various ways, and so we end up with a mod, a game that's often simply better than the original game despite not being as popular. Modding the games is a hobby, and the reason why we do it is that it's fun. If we manage to create something that other people also enjoy, like in the case of DTA, it's just a nice bonus. In other words, even if no one outside of our development team played DTA, we might still keep working on it as a hobby. Although few things improve your day more than when someone posts a lengthy comment on the forums, telling how they've enjoyed the mod and how it has re-ignited their interest towards C&C :)

Btw, while DTA is "based on" Tiberian Dawn, TD is not really my favourite official C&C game. I don't think I have a favourite official C&C game. Gameplay-wise I think C&C3 (aka Tiberium Wars) is the best official C&C game, campaign-wise it's Tiberian Dawn or Red Alert 1, and story-wise it's Tiberian Sun with its Firestorm expansion. And while I don't find RA2/YR as enjoyable as the other classics, I don't really dislike them either, I've beat their campaigns and played them a lot in LAN parties a decade ago as well.

In the case of YR's client, I don't really work on it actively. The feature set that DTA's client uses just happens to closely match that of CnCNet YR, and because I'm happy to see my code being put into good use, there's no reason why I wouldn't share the client with YR. However, I don't write YR-specific features. So, if you ever see for example ladder support in my client, that feature will be coded by Grant or someone else that's not me. I used to work on YR more actively a year ago or so, but it quickly became overwhelming with the amount of time I spend on other projects already. So, YR support is entirely in Grant's hands nowadays, with me only providing assistance with the client code when it's needed.