CNCNET, modding and TibEd. What now?

Medieval_Man

Think this is my first post here, so to start: I love everything about CnCNet and I'm grateful to the team for providing an easy, smooth multiplayer experience with these classic games.

However, I was dismayed to notice after recently re-installing that TibEd is no longer compatible with CnCNet Tiberian Sun. the earlier version of of TS CnCnet provided was not only compatible, it fixed issues like the notorious Orca Transport landing/deploy bug.

I'm given to understand that game assets are now a part of each map file, and modding apparently requires editing them individually.

What can I do if I want to continue playing with Orca Transports, Toxin Soldiers and capturable Civilian buildings? There was a brief moment where I could have my cake and eat it too, I can't go back.

Uhh... I advise you to learn how modding really works in the ini files rather than relying on tools like TibEd. It'll help you a lot.

amen to that! The only thing tibed adds to modding is crashes. I used tibed for tiberian sun, game always crashed after a few minutes

I understand how modding the ini's work, but the use of TibEd was being able to send my modding-illiterate friend one file that he could apply with TibEd so we could both play modded TS multiplayer, rather than sending him my INI's or segments to copy paste into them.

Regardless of whether people like the tools I use, my real question is whether directly modifying the rules.ini will still work for skirmish/multiplayer. I've seen it said in other threads that due to the way CNCnet multiplayer works now, you have to make changes to each map in order to modify units/structures/etc. I haven't been able to find anything that directly addresses this regarding Tiberian Sun, so I have no idea if that's even accurate. Is there a way to currently play modded multiplayer over CnCNet?

• 1 year later...
On 1/11/2017 at 2:41 AM, Nyerguds said:

Uhh... I advise you to learn how modding really works in the ini files rather than relying on tools like TibEd. It'll help you a lot.

Yes. You easily write your own mods and just copy them in every map u want to play them. If u want orca transport buildable, just add
[ORCATRAN] TechLevel=1 into your map file. Or make specific buildings capturable, find the building code and add Capturable=yes and whatever u wanna mod. check rules.ini, use ctrl+f to lookup the codes you want. I can give you the codes for paratroopers jumping out with parashute if you want, lol. Anyway look up some tutorials, its pretty easy to mod.