Do you guys play KKnD2?

MapDesigner

3 hours ago, MapDesigner said:

im surprised I havent seen sub forum or so for it (I was expected sub-forum for all other games LOL)

I recently found a small community forum for KKND Krossfire while I was searching for a map editor for the game and it seems they went strong from 2007-2011.
The forum had sections for map makers and for organizing multiplayer games, though it's dead now. There's far too little interest, so you're too late.

I played KKnD 1 in the good old days. Imho so much better than 2. But it died with the computers getting better. 

I think the same thing happened to KKnD2??

If one of the 2 relives. I will take part of it again.

• 4 weeks later...

What about KKnD1?

Browser games freeze in the menu.

I got the original on cd. And my hands on an iso which is the Extreme version. But both say files not found. I tried running any comparability. Even only 256 colours.

I am trying to run this game on a Windows 7, 64 bit. Which seems to have a lot of trouble with most old games.

Next step, 32 bit emulator or even less. What would be the best course of action?

Edit: I guess I'll go with dosbox. But I was to young in those days to actually understand dos. Especially now that it is an emulator. Things can get very dicey. Is there a proper manual with the very basics for dosbox (not dos itself).

Edited by X3M

With a little help, I succeeded.

First step, get dosbox 0.74. Any other dosbox is to old.

Second step, get the kknd iso (for free, no one may ask money for it)

The following 2 steps are vague for me, and they might be wrong.

You need to mount the directory of where you want to install the game to c.

Then mount the directory of where your iso is located to d. I don't know if an iso works in dosbox by itself, or you need a secondary programm to get it working. I had the latter, so I had to mount f:+etc. to d.

Just like in dos, go to " d:  ". And you would end up in your iso.

Then type install

To play, you can go to " c :  " and find the directory of kknd. When you find kknd exe, you can type kknd. The game will play.

I guess I should edit this post once the suggestions come in of how to explain more properly. My major mistake was that I was using the wrong dosbox. So start there, I guess.

Second step, get the kknd iso (for free, no one may ask money for it)

You can buy both KKND games on GoG. However KKND2 has a bug which tells you "mission failed" after playing approximately 1.5 hours. However using custom HD patch fixes that (it's actually based on different KKND2.exe, that's why it's not bugged, GOG's one is cracked)

Running KKND Xtreme is easier than KKND DOS,  because of Xtreme one was complied for Windows. On Windows 10 it works flawlessly, although some people might experience crashing when launching a mission.

I don't want to advertise it too much, but I am part of team of who recreates the whole KKND game in OpenRA engine. If you're interested, check out this link https://www.kknd-game.com/

• Upvote 1

There's still a lot of to be done or adjust. A lot of things have changed since that video (like proper sequence animation speed). There's a high possibility the first release will be launched still this year. It will only feature multiplayer/skirmish, as SP missions can be added later.

I hope that you guys will implement everything that KKnD was about. But I can imagine that that will be a tedious task seeing what has become of TD and RA.

Can't wait to finally show how to deal with snipers.

KKND2 OpenRA version is planned too.

Anyways, the plan is to have two versions - classic and modern. As you might have guessed, the classic version is supposed to be as faithful as possible to vanilla game, including all imbalances. The modern version is supposed to have more cool stuff like overhauling Bomber superweapons or rebalancing the game (true, snipers are mega OP :D ). Our current build is mixbag of both modes which will be properly split in the future.

And once KKND1 OpenRA is established, it will be super easy to build KKND2 on top of that. Heh... that's how KKND2 was made, it was built on top of KKND: Xtreme.

I got myself the gog version for kknd 1.
Multiplayer doesn't seem to work. But the rest is awesome.

Has kknd 2 a working multiplayer? If so, I will get me a copy of that game as well. If not, I will await this open kknd.

God I love KKND the crab and the chaingun tank and the special futuristic units you can find and own, awesome units and game. I loved Dark Reign and Total Annihilation too, that was the RTS hey day, with  cnc1, ra1, dr1, TA1, and starcraft 1, and the best thing was they were all very closely related to command and conquer so they all had a good close feel.

If only cnc.net could extend their support to other games of the hey day just imagine how popular cnc.net would get if they did this with say total annihilation. (if others havnt already that is)

Edited by chem

4 hours ago, chem said:

If only cnc.net could extend their support to other games of the hey day just imagine how popular cnc.net would get if they did this with say total annihilation. (if others havnt already that is)

Then it would be called rtsnet. :)

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 3:16 PM, X3M said:

Then it would be called rtsnet. :)

:)

Yea its a shame, these games are ALL so close to command and conquer, directly related direct spins offs super closely modified from their closest inspiration in cnc1.

I would say some of the mods that cnc.net supports are less like command and conquer than some of these games of the rts hey day.  Mental omega is less like command and conquer 1 or ra1  imo than say  Dark Reign or KKnD and tiberium twilight is less like cnc, than most rts games.  

So my point is the names  are just labels and the difference between games called cnc and games not called cnc can be less great than between games called cnc.

They could always make a separate site, rename or relocate to expand their project. But this is just fanciful thoughts im happy with cnc.net just how it is anyway.

Edited by chem
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, X3M said:

I bet you would like to see for example, the Survivors against GDI. Zerg against NOD. Protoss against Ordos. Weird shit like that.

LOL,  would be pretty  epic to see nod vs soviets face off,  yea I do think that way too, Id love to make my own mod or rts game. :)