Why do people still play TD when there's DTA?

fir3w0rx

I've wondered this for a while now, and even more so recently because of all this remakester talk. Even with all the added features: better graphics, huge maps, AI can build bases, and so many more, people still play the original online. Not that there's anything wrong with it, and I'm sure they probably switch between each game from time to time, but I'm just curious.

Also, what would need to be changed to encourage you to play DTA, and only DTA? (only referring to online play of course, as single player missions are different in each game).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just doesn't play like TD. Even if unit stats and weapon effects, etc. are all 100% replicated. And I'm pretty sure they're not. Just a different engine, the TS one, which, for all its capabilities, has a few surprising setbacks compared to the older RA/TD one, which it's based on. Still, DTA is probably the best approximation of TD gameplay that is not TD. Ironically, it has to sacrifice most of the huge potential of the TS engine to achieve this. 

I cannot answer the second question. I've played a bit of skirmish on DTA and am not inclined to switching to it from TD, but then again, I'm always wary of mods and remakes.

• Like 1

@fir3w0rx Not sure if trolling but it's a completely different game seems much slower and different/no hotkeys and even if it was the same game with horizontally flipped buildings you could just go GDI set a waypoint on your barracks que up training like 30 grenadiers and win straight away even quicker than a APC engineer rush.

I actually wonder if the remake will end up basically being the same as DTA because of the lost source code all the EA C&C's have that standard RTS game stuff since Tiberian Sun when EA originally butted in and never made a good C&C since lol I feel like a old man going on about the good old Westwood days but it's a view shared by many people.

• Upvote 2

On 10/28/2018 at 9:18 PM, weaveR said:

@fir3w0rx Not sure if trolling but it's a completely different game seems much slower and different/no hotkeys and even if it was the same game with horizontally flipped buildings you could just go GDI set a waypoint on your barracks que up training like 30 grenadiers and win straight away even quicker than a APC engineer rush.

I actually wonder if the remake will end up basically being the same as DTA because of the lost source code all the EA C&C's have that standard RTS game stuff since Tiberian Sun when EA originally butted in and never made a good C&C since lol I feel like a old man going on about the good old Westwood days but it's a view shared by many people.

Yeah, as much as there's a flicker of hope inside me that this project will be awesome and revive C&C... my mind just doesn't believe it.

I don't want to get my hopes up, because I just can't imagine EA, in particular, doing a good job. At this stage, I wish they'd just sell the franchise to someone who DOES give a damn.
RTS games need a lot of love to even be good, let alone amazing. SCII has had SO much poured into it, and people STILL complain about it. If that was EA, they'd have scrapped it long ago; I doubt it would have even seen it's last expansion, due to popularity falling off during the HotS era. 

SCII sucks, you know, compared to BW, right? I play neither, but obviously BW is the better, cleaner, more entertaining game, to both watch and play. Definitely more tasking and competitive in terms of micro.

Anyway, we have better odds of Nyer or someone else savvy hacking some of the fixes we want in, than EA actually putting out something decent, or even reminiscent of TD. Especially if they're talking out of their ass with all of this 'remaster' stuff, as I'm now inclined to believe.

The reality is that, without the original source code or knowledge thereof, no game, mod or remaster is going to feel and play like C&C. TDA goes close only because deep within the TS engine there's the Dune II one, which evolved into the TD/RA one, etc.

• Upvote 1

I blame Frank Klepacki, his music made me play.

But really I play, because I liked the game, that is why I have so many different copies, to just do it up. Original, Patched, Newer Patched , And Even Newer Patched, Modded, Playstation, PC Desktop, Laptop, Emu`s, Canceled Games, etc... all Command & Conquer.

I came on this sight because I want more Games.

And maybe get rid of some?