Do people seriously think attacking with buildings is the way RA1 should be?

chem

Or do they just like winning, and they have built so much skill around an unintended unfixed glitch in the game that their ego is now intertwined and in defence of something ridiculous and embarrassing?

Attacking with buildings? Attacking with something that was meant only for defence and to be stationary? Are you serious? You really want that for a game? Something that would be laughed at and ridiculed in any modern gamming review?

Does RA1 not need a balance overhaul ? Troops are a side note even though they are varied and interesting enough to be a deep strategic part of the game if they were buffed,  same goes for the variety of other units that never get used like rangers, mine layers, hinds etc  and the navy dynamic is ridiculous, cruisers are the only thing worthwhile due to again another huge glitch over force fire and generally them being OP esp in large numbers.

If you search deep down in your soul do you really think ra1 should stay broken as it is or should it be fixed?

Fixes

1) MCV after tech centre or no build speed boost for buildings, so even more strict than aftermath. = The intended use of Base defence more or less.  Plus real battles with units not bases. Tanks could get a plus 2 build speed boost, infantry plus 3 maybe.

2) Cheaper infantry, and buffed units like infantry hinds rangers etc so ALL units have a place in the strategy

3) Remove force fire for cruisers or from the controls so the intended naval meta is forced

= better?

Edited by chem
  • Upvote 1

We should definitely try out my mod. It's very similar to what @RaVaGe is doing with his Yuri's Revenge community balance patch. Which is also great by the way.

To answer your topic, I think it needs a total rebalance overhaul. I think my mod does really well with that, but obviously it's not necessarily RA1 with all of the units that I have added. But I do feel it does a really good job of giving people of an idea of what RA1 is capable of.

And yeah, the whole Tesla Coil spam and all that is a total mess. I honestly have no idea how people enjoy it in its current state. Whenever I'm online on CnCNet, I only play my mod.

I think the greatest comment I received was: "It's like I just actually played RA1 for the first time."

• Thanks 1

How about removing the cruisers ability to "not being able to fire on sea". And simply reduce the damage. Also, the inaccuracy should be removed. It made no sense tbh.

And yeah. Spamming tesla is a game genre. Simply don't play those matches.

Go for a normal map. 

I might add. Only once I encountered a guy who wanted to play on 5 speed. And we had a sea/ land map. We found ourselves forced to keep the base small. And do 1 to 3 unit attacks. The apc with tanya or a thief was his choice. I went for sea control to be able to beachhead behind his base with v2. Eventually we discovered that we both had some air as well for powerplant harassing. His rangers where a dick to my v2. My heavy tanks main job was crushing. And he had the courage to chrono his apc with tanyas into the middle of my base. 

I enjoyed that game the most so far.

Edited by X3M
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ferret said:

We should definitely try out my mod. It's very similar to what @RaVaGe is doing with his Yuri's Revenge community balance patch. Which is also great by the way.

To answer your topic, I think it needs a total rebalance overhaul. I think my mod does really well with that, but obviously it's not necessarily RA1 with all of the units that I have added. But I do feel it does a really good job of giving people of an idea of what RA1 is capable of.

And yeah, the whole Tesla Coil spam and all that is a total mess. I honestly have no idea how people enjoy it in its current state. Whenever I'm online on CnCNet, I only play my mod.

I think the greatest comment I received was: "It's like I just actually played RA1 for the first time."

I totally agree, I had your mod in the back of my mind as I wrote this,  it address all the issues in RA1 in a beautiful way, and adds all the awesome cnc1 units to boot which I find exciting, I just love the squishing part and that's a big reason for why I don't play it, maybe I should try and get over that since there are other non realisms in cnc1 like tanks not killing troops with tank shells, and bases being built at all.

Yea that is quite the compliment. Deep.  

Would be great to have another game bro!

Edited by chem

5 hours ago, X3M said:

How about removing the cruisers ability to "not being able to fire on sea". And simply reduce the damage. Also, the inaccuracy should be removed. It made no sense tbh.

And yeah. Spamming tesla is a game genre. Simply don't play those matches.

Go for a normal map. 

I might add. Only once I encountered a guy who wanted to play on 5 speed. And we had a sea/ land map. We found ourselves forced to keep the base small. And do 1 to 3 unit attacks. The apc with tanya or a thief was his choice. I went for sea control to be able to beachhead behind his base with v2. Eventually we discovered that we both had some air as well for powerplant harassing. His rangers where a dick to my v2. My heavy tanks main job was crushing. And he had the courage to chrono his apc with tanyas into the middle of my base. 

I enjoyed that game the most so far.

Yea infinite ore sucks, I will give ra1 another go on aftermath settings on a map that prevents the glitches, that's the closest you can get to a fix. Then like you said you had a fun varied interesting game. Thanks bro!

Edited by chem

• 4 weeks later...

Considering you rarely play RA1, i'm surprised you have a lot to say on the subject matter.

Base walking is a strategy is almost every RTS game. Think of it like using immobile siege units to attack an enemy. Now RA is a fast paced game, so naturally it seems like basewalking is ridiculous. First off, you need a fully completed base to do effectively. Second off, basewalking only occurs on custom maps with ridiculous amounts of cash. Thirdly, Tesla coils are paper without support from infantry and tanks. Oh and building is nearly unviable in 1v1s.

Tanking is superior to Teslas.

There's infinite money maps in RA2 and TS....the result: Spam fest cancer. The same thing would happen in TD if there was this too.

Cruisers: Yes i agree they're op. Buff shitty units, that's also fine. Buffing things feels way better than nerfing things, everytime.

On 12/16/2018 at 6:31 AM, AndrewFord said:

The same thing would happen in TD if there was this too. 

We don't have infinite money maps in TD but we already have obelisk-turret-creeping on maps with lots of money. But it's less of a problem in TD since building additional MCVs is slow, expensive and too high tech level so people can't base walk fast enough like in Red Alert.

You can still base walk with AGTs on small maps with super-close starting spots, but none of them are the official maps. But base-walking with guard towers on normal maps is possible if you put some barracks (while spamming infantry) with them.

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen people play in TD with a gazillion money as starting credits. You can't deplete it for hours. So that counts as infinite as well.

But base walking is actually one of the strongest strategies out there. Defence structures are tougher in general. So building them asap is the best thing to do. But what better than a line of defences, if the line of defences builds towards your enemy? C&C games have the tendency to have a building erect out of nowhere. This is what makes it extra deadly.

I even have seen this shit in some board games.

Even in C&C3. I mean, what you can do is move an MCV close to the enemy and have like a dozen MCV's back home preparing defences. If you have the money, that one MCV can be missed.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

wow chem such strong opinions from someone who doesn't even play the game. weird...

you clearly have no idea what youre talking about. which is odd based upon your strong opinion and biased towards red alert.

next time do some research before just spewing bullshit into the forum. until then I have no reason to consider your posts of any value/ or significance. especially due to the fact most of your custom made maps on TD would be considered infinite ore maps. which is very hypocritical of your post.

Edited by Bart

Attacking with buildings has always been fun against the AI, both campaign and skirmish, though against actual players I can see your complaint. Frankly, I agree with you that Red Alert should be played using its units and not through its structures. However, I'm as casual as they come.

• 1 month later...

I usually play red alert 1 on normal westwood made maps that are small and designed for 1 vs 1 or 2 vs 2. there isn't enough money on the maps i play to base crawl or make 1,000 buildings. I always host my own red alert 1 game rooms to avoid the infinite money players who spam a million buildings. im too lazy to do that and i dont enjoy it. i find it weird personally. those types of players exist in other C&C games but for the most part they died off because it is hella newb. its more of a endurance test to see who stops clicking first in my opinion.