Tiberian Dawn, can't build anymore units

Dharion91

Question

Well, I've been playing C&C95 for a while now, with the 1.06c r3 patch.

All is good, but sometimes after playing for a while, I just can't build anymore units (structures work fine). If I click to build an unit, it starts to produce it, money is getting less, but when the unit is finished with producing it stays on the 'Ready' screen...

Clicking the icon of the unit does not work, only thing I can do is cancel the production of the unit. The unit will not be delivered. I noticed that it only happens on NOD, but it does happen on EVERY single player mission I play...

25 answers to this question

This has happened to me several times-- mostly as NOD but even a couple of times as GDI.  I'm not sure what causes it but it even happened to me today in a multiplayer game with being unable to build anymore infantry.  I happened to be recording at the time and if you skip to the 12:00 minute mark you see I capture a barracks which gets destroyed while building and then I was unable to build anymore Infantry.

http://youtu.be/nZSqZgS7nek

Some structures after an attack, like the repair bay, get some damage and stops functioning. You can't even sell it. So I left it to be destroyed. Don't know if it's intentional and I have no solution.

In case of NOD's AirStrip, if you don't give enough space around it, it can't deliver the unit. You have to sell one of the surrounding buildings or the Airstrip itself and find a better spot to place.

That happens often when you build your base inside some cliffs.

What Jacko said is true, but it gets solved as soon as the previous unit is delivered. I don't remember, but I think you might have to press over the "Ready". It's something simple in this case, just keep trying.

I don't remember now, other cases to comment.

PS - take as an example the video cover above from MattAttack. Imagine putting that AirStrip next to the shadows of the cliffs. Then, it will be useless.

The Nod airstrip thing is simple to solve... wait until the current unit is delivered, then click the Ready icon and the next one will come. If you click it too soon I think the unit will be cancelled, though.

The closer you are to the right-side edge of the map, the faster units will be delivered. It's an odd quirk in the game, but not really a bug.

@Solo: never had a repair bay stopping its functioning...

It's definetly a glitch of some kind as I'm very familiar with having to wait for the units to be delivered and then clicking the "ready" icon again and thats not it.... I really dont think it's a '"max units" sort of thing either and I have to disagree with Solo about the damaged structure theory as it has occurred regardless.  I can't remember if it ever happened to me back in the day prior to the 1.06 patch or not.  It's really a mystery. 

Well, actually it's not a theory, it's a poor guess once I don't know the real cause of the problem.

But I have witnessed that happening in different maps, considering the repair bay.

I don't remember other buildings, but I know it's not only the repair bay, and I've noticed this problem after a cruel attack in some cases (hence the damage theory, you can't "not see" that there's a relation when you clear the area of enemies and the repair bay is burnt to hell and not working anymore, nor you can't sell it).

Next time I'll pay attention to details of the sequence and report. Maybe an SS ...

The Nod airstrip thing is simple to solve... wait until the current unit is delivered, then click the Ready icon and the next one will come. If you click it too soon I think the unit will be cancelled, though.

The closer you are to the right-side edge of the map, the faster units will be delivered. It's an odd quirk in the game, but not really a bug.

@Solo: never had a repair bay stopping its functioning...

The problem is, the last produced unit is already delivered. In my case it has nothing to do with the airstrip being on the left or right side of the map (for the length that the cargo plane has to fly).

It just stays on ready (yes, like when you build faster then the unit is delivered), but the only thing you see is 'ready' and the unit won't be delivered and the only thing I can do is cancel it. Selling the airstrip or building an extra one doesn't solve it.

The thing mentioned about not enough space for the unit is also not true. If you keep building tanks, eventually the unit will stock upon eachother at one spot (same for the weapons factory from GDI).

Yup.

But now. Does anyone know if this is NOD related, something wrong in the coding?

I have to say that, since I've read about the video back buffer option with freezing problems, now that I've turned that option off, it has not happened to me again...

I know for a fact it's not related to anything I've done, and I really doubt graphical options would have any impact on ingame behaviour.

But I heard of a similar error somewhere before, though I'm not sure what the exact circumstances were. My guess though, is that somehow a plane got stuck before executing its delivery, and that is somehow preventing all deliveries from that point forward.

Hmm. It happened again just 2 hours ago. I was playing the mission Hammer Time (NOD) if I'm not mistaken...

After I captured an enemy CY it happened... airfield would not deliver my units. I captured a weapons factory after this happened, but that did not have the problem.

Really weird

Hehe I told Nyerguds the things he mentioned that may of caused it and witnessed it years ago playing C&C on N64 mostly on the special ops Nod mission.

I do know it happens to me when playing the mission for a extended period of time and sure to happen anywhere else.