Your favorite Tiberian Dawn (C&C1) mission

Tore

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...

Of course, unless you took out the CY, this isn't too useful since they'll just rebuild the structure.

I picked off their refinery instead (on purpose) and the AI never rebuilt it :D They sent two attacks at my base then they were dead silent.

When I first played this game I was about 7 or 8, I think mission 13 was my favorite at the time. I loved the Ion Cannon!

But this time through, the one where you have to protect the hospital was the most satisfying to beat. Civilians kept running through tiberium and dying so I had to corral them in with hummers and soldiers and tanks while micromanaging a battle at the enemy base. I saved/reloaded fifty or sixty times, took me six hours to finally beat. :)

Bump <.<

I picked off their refinery instead (on purpose) and the AI never rebuilt it :D They sent two attacks at my base then they were dead silent.

Haha... then they probably don't have enough money at the start :)

--

I just checked... they have exactly $2000. So if they use that to make even a single minigunner, the refinery would never be rebuilt :)

But this time through, the one where you have to protect the hospital was the most satisfying to beat. Civilians kept running through tiberium and dying so I had to corral them in with hummers and soldiers and tanks while micromanaging a battle at the enemy base. I saved/reloaded fifty or sixty times, took me six hours to finally beat. :)

I absolutely hated the randomness in that mission; the only way to win it was sandbag ALL of the village. I edited that mission for my patch to remove the blossom tree from the village and put it in the nearby tiberium field, to at least make it a bit less stupid.

I mean, the objective is clearly to protect the villagers from Nod... not from being retarded.

I absolutely hated the randomness in that mission; the only way to win it was sandbag ALL of the village. I edited that mission for my patch to remove the blossom tree from the village and put it in the nearby tiberium field, to at least make it a bit less stupid.

I mean, the objective is clearly to protect the villagers from Nod... not from being retarded.

I do that too... A really nice mission to play, but that made it painful

We could have answered the thread in this style:

N# 1:

Best of Covert Operations:

Best of GDI campaign:

Best of Nod campaign:

Best Fan made:

btw, my answers will come in august or later, gotta replay some of them first ...

I also like Under Siege: C&C. I remember once I decided to play it through in an insane way, by setting the speed to max, then selling everything and sending the huge infantry army at the enemy. I think I even managed to wipe out most of the GDI forces (or at least, a considerable number thereof), but didn't have the patience to play it through :)

Under Siege made a nice testing platform, but as mission it wasn't really challenging :P

It's because you have already mastered Tiberian Dawn. But for me, it is :P =)))

Until you realize the enemy doesn't actually do anything at all, except throwing napalm bombs. They don't build anything, and they only attack you when you wipe out all units on one of the three sides. The solution is simply to ignore the base completely, and slowly pick off and kill all but a few units from all three sides. When you finally kill the last unit of one of the three groups, there will just be a few tanks attacking instead of the huge 3-way army :P

As for Solo's suggestion:

Eviction Notice, I think. Really nice mission.

Best of GDI campaign:

The commando mission (#6). No doubt about it, that mission rocks.

Best of Nod campaign:

7C; the Orca steal mission. Horribly hard, but so cool to pull off.

Best Fan made:

A small mission called "Syndrome: The Medical Facility". No base, relying purely on your own wits and some scarce reinforcements. Facing an Apache with only infantry scared the hell out of me :D

Can't really pick a favourite though. I love missions with base building but with a specific objective, that isn't 'wipe out everything', but there aren't many of those. I guess N64 GDI #2 qualifies, if the objective location didn't force you to wipe out the base anyway :P

Eviction Notice, I think. Really nice mission.

Hmm, didn't play that one a lot. I'd say I like Blackout (GDI) and Deception (Nod). Nod Death Squad was surprisingly easy, there's an awesomely huge GDI base but taking out the Adv. Comm. Centre with stealth tanks isn't much of a difficulty. Also, The Tiberium Strain is cool because of the Chem. Warriors (also quite easy though), as is the GDI mission where you need to rescue your informant's wife (uh, forgot the title).

Generally, The Covert Operations really pushed the mission designing capabilities almost to the limits, I wish there were more official missions with such diversity :)

Best of GDI campaign:

Here's it's hard to argue I guess, I also like the mission (number 12 IIRC) where you need to evacuate Moebius from a besieged base.

Best of Nod campaign:

Love that one, I managed to capture he GDI base and eventually wipe out all their forces once, but you get some really lousy score if you do that simply because it takes some time, and this is kinda unrewarding.

I should say the Nod campaign is a lot more dynamic, there are frequent Commando missions which are cool (#9 where you retake Egypt, both versions of #10, and #11), I even wonder why the Commando has become a GDI symbol after all, with the majority of his appearances being in the Nod campaign (well, Covert Ops helped balance the scales a bit, as did the extra console versions missions). Nod is often more fun to play because of the tactical missions with limited reinforcements, but the GDI airstrikes are really annoying (and IIRC you're never officially told that you need to take out the GDI Comm. Centre in each mission to stop them). I wonder if anyone managed to play Nod missions with 100% score at all.

Best of GDI campaign:

- Nah. Just kill some infantry and run into the base... The cool stuff of that mission is make a Mess in the enemy base, that's it.

- GDI Mission 11 is pretty more hard and cool. Rush a light unit attack in the enemy, distract the obelisk, enter with a APC, trampe'em all, destroy the wall, and enter. The best way of win this mission is trough rush, or the flame tanks will crush you (unless you do some tanks and a few granadiers).

Best of Nod campaign:

- Yep, it is even more hard to capture the entire GDI base :D

- Nod Mission 4 (i think it is C) you start with 2 engineers. You can capture the entire GDI base there too, but the granadiers always crush my engineers. I've captured it entirely one time.

Best Fan made:

A small mission called "Syndrome: The Medical Facility". No base, relying purely on your own wits and some scarce reinforcements. Facing an Apache with only infantry scared the hell out of me :D

- In what packet is it? I will give it a try :D

Love that one, I managed to capture he GDI base and eventually wipe out all their forces once, but you get some really lousy score if you do that simply because it takes some time, and this is kinda unrewarding.

Actually, Nod loses Efficiency score for every enemy building they destroy, for some reason. I noticed this when trying to get maximum score on Nod Death Squad.

(totally succeeded in that too. Lost no units, only destroyed some GDI units and the Advanced Comm Center)

Actually, Nod loses Efficiency score for every enemy building they destroy, for some reason.

Argh, I suspected something like that! (actually, I suspected Nod still loses points for destroyed civilian stuff even if they're non-friendly).

- Nod Mission 4 (i think it is C) you start with 2 engineers. You can capture the entire GDI base there too, but the granadiers always crush my engineers. I've captured it entirely one time.

Hmm, isn't Nod 4 a choice between the "intercept GDI convoy" and "Mao civil war" missions? I don't remember any engineers there...

I like the version of Nod 7 (I think) choice (not the Orca mission) where you start with no base, just some troops near a broken bridge, and need to fight your way through before you get a functional base.

BTW, I think C&C was the only game in the series (don't know about the newer EA's games though) that had choices of actually different missions for certain levels (complete with different briefings), not just different map layouts for essentially the same missions (I don't count TS in this because there, one of the missions in a choice is optional and you'll play the "main" mission regardless of whether you complete the optional one or not, just with some extra bonuses if you complete the optional mission).

BTW, I think C&C was the only game in the series (don't know about the newer EA's games though) that had choices of actually different missions for certain levels (complete with different briefings), not just different map layouts for essentially the same missions (I don't count TS in this because there, one of the missions in a choice is optional and you'll play the "main" mission regardless of whether you complete the optional one or not, just with some extra bonuses if you complete the optional mission).

Yeeeah... as focus shifted to multiplayer, replayability really suffered. I love the way you can replay C&C a dozen times and still stumble on some mission you never played before.

That's mission 6, actually. But yes, indeed, C.

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cncstuff/mappics/campaign-nod/scb06ec.png

Hmm, I actually played that one, but I think I never bothered capturing the base. I didn't even remember there are engineers available on that mission.

Anyhoo, for some time I didn't know that you can select different map choices by clicking on arrow pointers, and just clicked on the country territory (similar to Dune II). That way, I'd always land on the C variant of the final Nod mission, which I somehow find the most cool one. I also think it's the only one with a Commando available. Once I used the Commando and a small infantry task force to capture the northern GDI base (spamming it with Obelisks to crush heavier enemy vehicles), and then built a huge army of Mammoths to just wipe out everything. GDI doesn't stand a chance against Mammoths. Pity though, I still got a lousy score, and also it took quite some time to sweep the rest of the map with Mammoths. Talk about awesome but impratical.

I also remember that when I first played through that mission, I didn't figure out immediately that the village also belongs to the GDI and must be removed too, which made the mission even longer. I also remember building huge numbers of SAM sites on the small island where I built the Temple of Nod, hoping that it'd stop A-10's, but somehow it didn't. The SAM site in C&C are cool and all, but the time it takes to deploy the launcher and aim is too long, sometimes A-10 just fly by and out of range before a SAM can fire on them.

BTW, speaking of scores, I noticed that I can only get the 100% economy only if I sell the construction yard in the first GDI mission - I wonder why?

BTW, speaking of scores, I noticed that I can only get the 100% economy only if I sell the construction yard in the first GDI mission - I wonder why?

100% = ending with at least as much as you started with.

I get 100% in GDI mission 1 simply by never deploying the MCV. The mission is perfectly doable without building any extra troops.

100% = ending with at least as much as you started with.

Ah-hah, that makes sense :)

I get 100% in GDI mission 1 simply by never deploying the MCV. The mission is perfectly doable without building any extra troops.

Yeah, but where's the fun in that?

Actually I also don't build more troops usually, but I still build the base. Maybe I just like following orders ^_^

The same way you don't need to build the Temple of Nod in the last mission - even though making that a victory condition via the "Built It" and "Allow Win" variables is perfectly possible. Not building a Temple of Nod would especially make sense in the DOS version if the player had not previously collected all the crates. And in any case, those 3k can always be invested into something else.

GDI=Mission 10(Orca mission) Easy as heck but I love it! scb10ea specifically.

NOD=Mission 5(have to build the SAM site) I can't believe I used to think it was hard but still to this day lots of fun!

Covert Ops=Eviction Notice.  Having to trash a village to make space for your base...  XD

GDI: Mission 9a where NOD have obelisks for the first time.

They arent much good if you go and wipe them out with about 30 medium tanks though are they?

NOD: Mission 9b in Egypt

I managed  to kill all the troops, the tank and the Humvee without the commando taking damage.

Covert Ops: Under Siege

porbably because it requires close money management and thats one of my favourite elements of C&C

Im not much good at C&C though, im completely stuck at GDI 11 (finding Delphi) because i simply cant get established enough before a flame tank comes in and wipes out all my men, guard towers and buildings, in that order.

Under Siege, requiring money management? Huh?

...you never found the crate under the Church, did you? That, combined with selling the SAM sites, the Temple (after launching the nuke) and, if needed, the repair bay, should give you plenty of money :|

Oh, even in the DOS version they patched that crates crap out in 1.19, because it didn't save reliably in savegames, and apparently prevented nukes from working in the Covert Ops missions :P

Oww, pity, that. Crate collection was a neat idea. In fact, I'm sure C&C was the first to pioneer the concept of consequences of the player's actions that span across missions in RTS games, and the potential of this hasn't really been explored to the fullest still.

Speaking of which, the briefings of the Nod mission 10 kind of suggest that the outcome of each mission may affect the availability of Mammoth tanks or the Ion Cannon to the GDI later on (especially when Kane says "They haven't started production yet and they won't if you continue to meet expectations and maintain your performance" in the mission to destroy Mammoth prototypes), but I'm not sure if this was ever actually implemented. Would've been cool (well, they did that sort of thing in TS).

GDI: Mission 9a where NOD have obelisks for the first time.

They arent much good if you go and wipe them out with about 30 medium tanks though are they?

Haha, that's exactly how I played that mission for the first time :D

Found the obligatory backdoor into the Nod base later on though ;)

BTW, Nyer, returning to the score question, how does mission time factor into it (if at all)? My impression was that the score is calculated as Leadership * Mission Number + Efficiency * Mission Number.